Full Race chat and discussion - Page 229 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Turbocharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #4561 (permalink)

Yeah no sweat! I run the full race kit as well.

The way you are planning to run it is going to work fine. The only real downside to using the vent to atmosphere is that it is not emissions friendly.

Just so you know, when you leave the stock PCV setup the pressure in the motor has no place to go under boost. Since there is positive pressure in the IM the PCV has pressure pushing against it. So the only time you will be able to evacuate pressure is under vacuum. Again, this is assuming you kept the PCV setup stock.

Hence, you setup a vent to atmosphere catch can. It will allow the motor to evacuate pressure as needed under boost conditions. Now, since you are removing the PCV setup the motor will not be pulling out pressure from the motor under vacuum. You will find that this is negligible though. There really isn't much pressure in the motor at idle. You could get real fancy with it and rig up a vacuum to say the exhaust so that the motor is always under vacuum and is variable depending on how much exhaust flow there is. For example, run the PCV to a closed catch can, then run a line to the exhaust using a slash cut fitting. The slash cut creates a vacuum. Here is a link to the slash cut I'm talking about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1189/overview/
b16adan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #4562 (permalink)

So what you're saying is there will be less vacuum at idle since there's more pressure? Will this affect my idle at all?
shearious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #4563 (permalink)

I'm saying there won't be any vacuum on the motor at idle because you are unhooking the PCV from the intake. Your idle will be just fine though. You will still have vacuum inside the IM.
b16adan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #4564 (permalink)
o herro

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16adan View Post
Yeah no sweat! I run the full race kit as well.

The way you are planning to run it is going to work fine. The only real downside to using the vent to atmosphere is that it is not emissions friendly.

Just so you know, when you leave the stock PCV setup the pressure in the motor has no place to go under boost. Since there is positive pressure in the IM the PCV has pressure pushing against it. So the only time you will be able to evacuate pressure is under vacuum. Again, this is assuming you kept the PCV setup stock.

Hence, you setup a vent to atmosphere catch can. It will allow the motor to evacuate pressure as needed under boost conditions. Now, since you are removing the PCV setup the motor will not be pulling out pressure from the motor under vacuum. You will find that this is negligible though. There really isn't much pressure in the motor at idle. You could get real fancy with it and rig up a vacuum to say the exhaust so that the motor is always under vacuum and is variable depending on how much exhaust flow there is. For example, run the PCV to a closed catch can, then run a line to the exhaust using a slash cut fitting. The slash cut creates a vacuum. Here is a link to the slash cut I'm talking about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1189/overview/
I actually have both my VC and PCV T'd and going to a slashcut fitting. Very simple easy setup IMO. I'm not using a catch can at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearious View Post
So what you're saying is there will be less vacuum at idle since there's more pressure? Will this affect my idle at all?
He's saying the motor will no longer be sucking the crank case pressure via the vac source that is the IM if you set it up like he is describing.
aLmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #4565 (permalink)

How do you install the slashcut fitting in the exhaust? Is there cutting involved? So aLmk you have both your VC and PCV connected with a T and running to a slashcut that way everything is dumped out the exhaust? And you have your IM capped as well?
shearious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #4566 (permalink)
o herro

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearious View Post
How do you install the slashcut fitting in the exhaust? Is there cutting involved? So aLmk you have both your VC and PCV connected with a T and running to a slashcut that way everything is dumped out the exhaust? And you have your IM capped as well?
You need to cut and then weld in the slashcut fitting, I had my local shop do this. And yes I have both the VC and PCV T'd and going to the slashcut, and all crank case and valve case fumes/pressure will be sucked out and going out the tail pipe. The spot let on the IM I used as my source for my boost gauge, but you could cap it.
aLmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.