brake rotor diameter - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

brake rotor diameter

can someone point me to where I can find specs of brake rotors to all US honda vehicles minus the motorcycles??? Planning on upgrading my Si rotors to a much bigger one but don't want slotted or dimpled or drilled rotors just want them bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceK View Post
can someone point me to where I can find specs of brake rotors to all US honda vehicles minus the motorcycles??? Planning on upgrading my Si rotors to a much bigger one but don't want slotted or dimpled or drilled rotors just want them bigger.
Bust out the tape measure.

Why do you want them bigger. They are big enough, unless you want the "look". Added weight and weight distribution of larger rotors will slow down the acceleration of your car.

My 98 eclipse GSX had 10 3/4" rotors up front with 2 piston calipers and they worked great on a 3150lb car. However, the 10 1/4" rotors with single piston calipers on the GS-T models(FWD) were severely weak and faded very rapidly. To save money if you were looking for better heat dissipation, you could go with a cross drilled/slotted rotor. Slotted only is not really worth it IMO. If you go with a much bigger rotor, you may need a bigger caliper too putting you in the $1-2K range. They make kits with larger rotors with caliper extender brackets too. But again, on our cars, the brakes are quite sufficient for most peeps.

Good Luck. Type in big Brakes civic Si in the google search for some ideas
civicracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aaron
I may be wrong, but I don't think that you're going to find anything that will fit right. Either way, just go to Honda.com or Acura.com and go to the specification page for each model.
Aaron06Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

already tried the website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron06Si View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think that you're going to find anything that will fit right. Either way, just go to Honda.com or Acura.com and go to the specification page for each model.
the honda.com website does not say the brake measurements in the specification page.
riceK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Aaron
My bad, it only shows the rotor diameters. I still think that if there was some easy brake swap that we would have seen it by now on the forum.
Aaron06Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceK View Post
Rotor size is just ONE part of the equation ... changing rotors will not nessesarily change (Improve or worsen) the stopping performance. The Caliper Piston Bore, the co-efficient of friction of the pads, and the size of the pads also have a large effect on the performance of the brake system.

To further answer you question ... there is no one database of rotor sizes ... WHY, because the size is somewhat irrelevent, because a large rotors from XXX car may (probabaly) not bolt up to any other car than what it was designed for. There is to many other variables.

-Rotor diameter
-Rotor bolt pattern
-Rotor hub-bore
-Rotor thickness
-Rotor offset (distance from hub to friction surface)
-Caliper offset
-Caliper bolt pattern
-Caliper "mouth" size
All these will impact if a rotor will bolt up, and will a specifc caliper and pd work with this new combination

This is proven in the knowledge base of brake upgrades for the 88-00 Civics ...when you increase the size of the rotor you invariably have to swap the rotor, caliper AND Knuckle to get it to work ... and in somecases custom machining is required anyways

If you read this stickied article you will have a better idea of what options are avaiable to you, both OE and aftermarket.

Brake options

Moose

Last edited by Moose; 03-13-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicracer32 View Post
Bust out the tape measure.

Why do you want them bigger. They are big enough, unless you want the "look". Added weight and weight distribution of larger rotors will slow down the acceleration of your car.

My 98 eclipse GSX had 10 3/4" rotors up front with 2 piston calipers and they worked great on a 3150lb car. However, the 10 1/4" rotors with single piston calipers on the GS-T models(FWD) were severely weak and faded very rapidly. To save money if you were looking for better heat dissipation, you could go with a cross drilled/slotted rotor. Slotted only is not really worth it IMO. If you go with a much bigger rotor, you may need a bigger caliper too putting you in the $1-2K range. They make kits with larger rotors with caliper extender brackets too. But again, on our cars, the brakes are quite sufficient for most peeps.

Good Luck. Type in big Brakes civic Si in the google search for some ideas
Slotted rotors have been proven more effective at cleaning the pad surface and removing brake dust than either cross drilled, or slotted and cross drilled. On top of that, they are better from a structural standpoint because you don't have a bunch of holes in a highly stressed component. A few surface grooves aren't as bad as a bunch of holes.

If anyone is looking for a quick upgrade to the stock brakes for trackdays and the like, you could always switch to a higher temp racing compound. Cheaper and more effective than randomly applying different parts to the brake system.
OhondaU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.