8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HFP Suspension kit VS aftermarket spring/shock

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jDmsTr 
#1 ·
I'm looking for strictly improved handling on the street and a slightly more aggressive stance, so I want a suspension that's firmer, but still comfortable to drive everyday on normal bumps, snow, etc.

HFP suspension I'm pretty confident will do the job, but for looks wise I prefer the lower front (1.2F/1.0R) the Pro Kit springs give.

I know both lower the car about the same height so I was just wondering if the HFP kit has alot more advantages over a Eibach Pro Kit/Tokico HP shocks combo?

#7 ·
RX_AGENT said:
I'm looking for strictly improved handling on the street and a slightly more aggressive stance, so I want a suspension that's firmer, but still comfortable to drive everyday on normal bumps, snow, etc.

HFP suspension I'm pretty confident will do the job, but for looks wise I prefer the lower front (1.2F/1.0R) the Pro Kit springs give.

I know both lower the car about the same height so I was just wondering if the HFP kit has alot more advantages over a Eibach Pro Kit/Tokico HP shocks combo?
HFP is a specific application engineered item. It will give a more balanced and tuned feel. Honda took in consideration valving of the shocks and struts to match with the springs with the weight (distribution) of the car.

Lowering your car does not mean it will perform better.

Too low CG you may effect suspension geometry in a negative manor.

These cars suspension geometry were not designed to be slammed.

Something to think about.

Read the stickies too. :thumb:

#8 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
HFP is a specific application engineered item. It will give a more balanced and tuned feel. Honda took in consideration valving of the shocks and struts to match with the springs with the weight (distribution) of the car.

Lowering your car does not mean it will perform better.

Too low CG you may effect suspension geometry in a negative manor.

These cars suspension geometry were not designed to be slammed.

Something to think about.

Read the stickies too. :thumb:
The HFP kit will not necessarily give you a more balanced feel, remember that they they have to tune their setup to fit a wide variety of drivers, and at the same time still keep safety in mind. Usually safety means tuning the car to understeer, which isn't always the best thing.
A good quality damper such as those from Koni will retain your ride quality while offering additional low speed damping to control body movements. In addition a decent spring setup can use spring rates ,and different corner weighting to take away some of that understeer. But just as you said, a slammed suspension usually never is a good thing.

#9 ·
TeamBadger said:
The HFP kit will not necessarily give you a more balanced feel, remember that they they have to tune their setup to fit a wide variety of drivers, and at the same time still keep safety in mind. Usually safety means tuning the car to understeer, which isn't always the best thing.
A good quality damper such as those from Koni will retain your ride quality while offering additional low speed damping to control body movements. In addition a decent spring setup can use spring rates ,and different corner weighting to take away some of that understeer. But just as you said, a slammed suspension usually never is a good thing.
I agree with some of your repsonse. The fact is there is not much in aftermarket shocks (yet). I may have used a poor choice of words. Balanced not maybe in feel, rather balanced in shock, strut valving with spring. HFP Kits take in consideration Coupe Si vs. Sedan Si. Also goes with the other models as well in regards to Auto and Manual as well for non Si for their differences in weight and its distribution.

I am not sure why people ask what handles better. THERE IS NO ANSWER. People can give opinions, but the way I set up my car, may be totally different then yours, or the next person.

Understeer and oversteer can be corrected even on stock suspension and set-up. Honda gives a set-up for mostly sporty feel while maintaining tire wear and of such. Most of that can be adjusted by adding a front and rear camber kit and adjusting for more rotation that way.

#12 ·
Ok, here goes.

Progressive rate springs are NOT the same a Progress (the company) springs. Progressive rate springs mean the rate changes, or progresses, as the spring is compressed. For example, the first inch the spring is compressed it has a spring rate of 180 lbs/in. The second inch the spring is compressed has a rate of 220 lbs/inch. This increase in rate continues until the spring compresses to the section of the spring in which the rate is liner. Liner rates do not change under compression.

jDmsTr, The HFP kit should come to rest quicker after hitting a bump than the stock suspension does. If your suspension takes 2.5-3 or more cycles to come to rest, your shocks might be blown. What I think you want to ask is will the HFP change ride quality compared to stock. The answer to that is, yes. The HFP has higher spring rates and damping (shock) rates than the stock Si suspension does. This means that you will feel more bumps in the road than you did with the stock suspension. The good part about increased spring/damper rates is better handling because a stiffer suspension resists changes is weight distribution better. Personally, I would think very few people on this forum think the HFP rides rough. The HFP is a good set it and forget it suspension. Its cheap and can easily be improved upon buy a more aggressive alignment and the addition of a rear sway bar in the case that the car doesn’t rotate enough for you.

If you want better handling than the HFP kit provides AND you want a little more drop, wait for Koni Sports to come out and pair them with Ground Control springs. Since the Koni Sports are adjustable and GC springs have height adjustability and have custom spring rates, you can better tune the suspension to your needs.

For even more in depth information, please, please, please, read the stickies at the top of this section (the blue highlighted threads). They will teach you a lot. If that is not enough, PM me and I will lead to you the bestest thread ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.