I've read for weeks. 100s of pages. Race Suspension for FA5 ;-) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

hondrta just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I've read for weeks. 100s of pages. Race Suspension for FA5 ;-)

As the title states, I've literally read the forum for weeks on end. Every night when I'm trying to watch Narcos on Netflix, I end up spending HOURS reading the forum trying to figure out what suspension to get for my FA5.

RedShiftChris's post have been the most helpful, including his website "bestsuspension"

It has occurred to me that 95 percent of the users on this forum care more about dropping their car - and ride comfort, and that is what most of Chris's extensive research has been based around quality and comfort.

Fortunately, I was able to extract some useful data from his research about spring rates.

I had TEIN Street Advance on my old FA5 that the ex took.
Chris highly recommends the TEIN Street Advance, going on to say they are almost Koni like. I agree. They are very comfortable coilovers.
However, I disagree that they are good for track/togue use.
I find that they are wayyyy to soft, as I still got a decent amount of body roll through high speed sweeping turns, which then became more drastic when the turn would go the other way, and the weight transfer would compress the other side, it was quite unsettling. I had them set to "full hard". Full hard is the way I like it, and so do the women........
There was also some bumps / road imperfections that would really bottom out the TEINS during high speed cornering and or high g-force cornering.

With that being said, the 330front 370rear spring rates of the TEIN were way to soft for me.

I now have a 2007 FA5 with stock blown out suspension, so it's time to buy some suspension!

I see that a lot of people recommend the D2, including Chris.
Do you think the 410/440 spring rates the D2 has will be enough to satisfy me, as the 330/370 of the TEIN was too soft?
My brother is running the Buddy Club N+, and he tells me he has no body roll. (390/370 rates)

How are the shocks on the D2?

Then of course comes the Redshift Koni setup, with ASR top hats, that come in around $2000.

Then there's the MSC setup that's like $2500-$3000

D2 comes in at $910 on eBay.

The car is a DD that sees lots of togue and will see some track time next year.

Like I said, the TEIN Street Advance are comfortable, but too soft.

One last point of discussion is the adjustability. People were saying that coilovers with rebound and compression adjustment tied together on the same knob are poop, including Chris, but yet don't the D2 and TEIN that are highly recommended have this same setup?

Thank you for your help ahead of time! I've been a member of forum for over a year, so this is my first post after lurking and reading for over a year and a half.

Thanks - Darrin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm also being told to check into:
BC Racing DR Series
And
Fortune Auto 510 Series

hondrta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

David
DaveSi677 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm running the Redshift Coilover combo with eibach race springs with custom spring rates and koni race... honestly the thing isn't comfortable at full stiff... that is why I don't drive it anymore every day lol...

On the track it's a beast! Car handles like on rails...

If you are serious speak with Chris and he can build you whatever you need or suggest you something that is more track orientated. He does have a track civic also that he just participated in nationals and he finished on the podium.
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hitman120 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
I'm running the Redshift Coilover combo with eibach race springs with custom spring rates and koni race... honestly the thing isn't comfortable at full stiff... that is why I don't drive it anymore every day lol...

On the track it's a beast! Car handles like on rails...

If you are serious speak with Chris and he can build you whatever you need or suggest you something that is more track orientated. He does have a track civic also that he just participated in nationals and he finished on the podium.
What he said. Lol in all honesty though Chris is the suspension guru and as far as coilovers go he has the best design bar none.. You can choose your own spring rates so if you have a dual purpose vehicle you'll have to do a little give and take.
Hitman120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Eric
GravyRobber just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I think the D2's will be a bit soft for your liking. The rear of the car really needs a higher spring rate just because the spring is located so far inboard, its being acted upon by a longer arm, and therefore need to be surprisingly stiff. My Stance GR+ rates are 8k/12k and honestly, they are on the soft side of track duty. I think a larger RSB would help, too. I'm currently on all-stock suspension except the coilovers obviously and rear camber arms. Front RCA's and a large RSB are next, and I'm sure will help matters significantly.
GravyRobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.
I spoke with Fortune Auto about their 510 coilovers.
Will probably end up going that route.
Still up in the air on spring rates to start out with.
They give the option for a Swift spring upgrade, which I will be opting for.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know this is COMPLETELY off topic, but I was watching an episode of Fast N' Loud the other night, and Aaron put bags on a track car...
How about bags on a 8th Civic for occasional track use? hahaha
Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

markpcivic just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I have an RSX-S with track oriented (autocross actually) spring rates, and can tell you that if you have Chris set something up for you, you won't be disappointed. The thing to keep in mind, is that the rear suspension on this car only sees about 1/3 of the effective spring rate that the front does. So, typically a spring about twice as stiff as the front will give the car a nice, neutral balance (you don't really need to go 3x stiffer in the rear than the front due to corner weights). I think a setup with around 500/1000 on some Koni DA struts would make for a killer DD/Track setup. You can realistically run upwards of 650lb springs on the front before it gets too harsh with good dampers. The rear takes a very stout strut to have ride nicely, but again, a quality revalved Koni with around 1000lb spring will probably get the job done. I'm running a Koni 8611 Double Adjustable front insert with 750lb rates currently, and it's a bit too much for street. Had up to 900lb on them, just couldn't put power down (open diff), but had amazing transition ability and turn in. Ran anywhere from 450 (too much contact with bumpstops) to 616 (just about right for possible DD use, but not stiff enough for autocross) to 672 (getting there), to now settling on 750.
markpcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

James
semajuw just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I got Tein Street Flexes with 9k front springs and 10k rear (the fronts were swapped out with SWIFT springs). It's livable, not back breaking, but not too soft that it can't handle some spirited driving!
semajuw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

James
semajuw just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
IIRC the Street Flex sits above the Street Advance? Or was it vice versa? Either way, from what I've seen and the opinion of friends that have driven and rode in my car, my current set up is perfect for daily and light track use. According to Eibach and Evasive, Street Flexes should be reserved only for LIGHT track use, and that I could go a lot stiffer....we'll see.
semajuw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.