8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Squirrely Handling Since Lowering

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveSi677 
#1 ·
Hey 8th, I was hoping you could shade some knowledge and help me out.
I lowered my civic on Godspeed Mono-RS coilovers about 2 months ago now. I went as low as I felt comfortable with considering I deal with Ohio streets. I'm tucking a little bit of tire in the front and back (stock wheels with stock tire size).

So I didn't really notice any issues with my handling (outside of a little vibration when I make sharp turns at about 20 mph) until last week when I was in some rain. It was the first time I did some freeway driving in the rain since I've lowered the car and it was just squirreling around the whole time. It felt like I was hydroplaning a bunch even though I know I have plenty of tread left on the tire.

I didn't know if this is just a common symptom of messing with the suspension? Have I thrown out the car's stability control by taking it out of the factory configuration? Do I just need an alignment?

#5 ·
Yes, toe or camber changes can make the car feel like that. Alignment for sure. And note that if you don't have rear camber adjusters to bring the car back to stock camber in the rear, then it may feel like even after the alignment because you cannot get the rear camber to stock specs without camber adjusters in back. Front doesn't gain really any camber; so don't worry about the front.

Generally, if you go more that 3/4" lower, you'll need rear camber adjusters to get back to stock camber specs. Everything is adjustable back to stock with the stock parts.

Hope that helps. :)
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.