Cutting Tein S Tech Springs - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cutting Tein S Tech Springs

I just recently installed my S Tech springs on my car but I am not totally satisfied with the drop because I am sitting on some 17x9 +28 wheels all around with a touch of negative camber in the front and back and honestly it looks retarded with a little wheel gap. I want maybe a half inch more to make it flush. Would it be a problem if I cut the springs maybe an inch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Kemper
i dont think cutting it would be the right choice, if you dont like them, maybe save up for some coilovers! or some better springs! cutting the springs will make the ride bad. Good Luck
KemperElder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

So cutting off just an inch would affect the ride? Cutting an inch off the spring isnt technically dropping the car another inch probably half or a little less since the springs are compressed.
kevinESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cutting any amount of a spring will result it a crapper ride and a higher chance of blowing struts

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
JaS011410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Michael
its just not a good idea imo
Flake753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Please dont cut any springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Chris Shenefield
What cutting springs will do:
1) increase the spring's rate a little bit. If the spring has 7 coils, then cutting 1 coil will increase the rate by roughly 1/7th of it's original rate. Meaning, if it's a 250 lb spring, then cutting a coil will raise it approx 15% to 285... not a big deal.
2) Lower the car and give less stroke to the suspension (but all springs that lower the car do this; so this is not a big deal if you know not to go too low).
3) Change the interface between the spring and perch at any location. This is not an issue in back because you can usually get away with cutting off a coil at the top of the rear spring and not change much. Stock and HFP springs are ground flat, but many aftermarket springs are not... meaning you can cut the "ground flat" coil off an HFP rear spring and will have the same interface to the upper isolator that many aftermarket springs do (like the Neuspeeds). HOWEVER!!!!! This is a big problem with the front springs. You definitely don't want to cut a coil off the top of the spring because it will not sit in the perch at all right. And you can cut a coil off the bottom of the spring, but then it will sit crooked... and then you could have noise issues.

Bottom line is that if you need to cut the rear springs, then that's no big deal. If you have to cut the front springs, that's probably not a good idea at all... although you might be able to get away with cutting the bottom of the spring off.... just be prepared to buy new springs if it doesn't work properly.

Chris

Last edited by RedShiftChris; 11-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
RedShiftChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

dont do it.....it will look cool but after a couple of days to ride gets terrible
t0rres16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Robert
Attachment 53713

Ha I had to do it lol.. Anyway yeah don't do it man

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

Last edited by JDM_ROB; 12-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.
JDM_ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinESS View Post
I just recently installed my S Tech springs on my car but I am not totally satisfied with the drop because I am sitting on some 17x9 +28 wheels all around with a touch of negative camber in the front and back and honestly it looks retarded with a little wheel gap. I want maybe a half inch more to make it flush. Would it be a problem if I cut the springs maybe an inch?
I'm 37, I've been at this customizing **** for 22 years, this is my 4th honda. Through the years I've had coils,springs, and bags, don't let these guys fool you. You do what you think will make your car look the best for you, not us. Ok now to your question, if you just cut only one coil from the spring it will not effect the shocks and struts. You will have to find someone that knows how to do it. I will agree with them that it will be a stiffer ride. And some of these guys are saying its not safe, BS, its just as safe as taking a tire and stretching the **** out of it to call it hellaflush. Your axle isn't going break, your wheels aren't going to fly off the car or non of that ****. If you bought a good spring like Tein, Eibach, Skunk2, or any major brand you can cut just one coil from the spring. These guys have just been drinking from the cookie cutter kool-aid and don't think out the box, they think that spending a **** load of money it makes their car better then yours. Some people don't have the money to dish out $800-$2,000 dollars for a good set of coils. You'll get the height you want without hindering the rest of the car. Oh, and for everyones' info I'm riding on Skunk2 springs(not cut) shocks and struts. Do what you need to do playa.
SARSagent6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

the real world reality of it is that the car will probably drop more than you think it will, unless the cuts are made precisely it will sit uneven, the spring will not sit in the perch properly and has a much greater chance of slipping out and collapsing, the ride will be atrocious, and you can kiss your shocks goodbye.

I don't think much more needs to be said here... perfectly safe? Pictures speak louder than words.

Matt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
mdwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

I cut a coil off my front and have been riding like that for well over 2 years, no problems
FA5onit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA5onit View Post
I cut a coil off my front and have been riding like that for well over 2 years, no problems
Doesn't make it safe or sensible to do or recommend to others. The odds are there for catastrophic failure, and that's a risk I would never take, nor in my right mind recommend anyone else to attempt.

Matt

Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARSagent6 View Post
I'm 37, I've been at this customizing **** for 22 years, this is my 4th honda. Through the years I've had coils,springs, and bags, don't let these guys fool you. You do what you think will make your car look the best for you, not us. Ok now to your question, if you just cut only one coil from the spring it will not effect the shocks and struts. You will have to find someone that knows how to do it. I will agree with them that it will be a stiffer ride. And some of these guys are saying its not safe, BS, its just as safe as taking a tire and stretching the **** out of it to call it hellaflush. Your axle isn't going break, your wheels aren't going to fly off the car or non of that ****. If you bought a good spring like Tein, Eibach, Skunk2, or any major brand you can cut just one coil from the spring. These guys have just been drinking from the cookie cutter kool-aid and don't think out the box, they think that spending a **** load of money it makes their car better then yours. Some people don't have the money to dish out $800-$2,000 dollars for a good set of coils. You'll get the height you want without hindering the rest of the car. Oh, and for everyones' info I'm riding on Skunk2 springs(not cut) shocks and struts. Do what you need to do playa.
funny part is, he^ is right hahahaha. mathematically the springrate created by cutting a coil will not create this oh so "****ty" ride you guys speak of. most after market springs don't have that great of a spring rate over stock. so when you cut a coil... it still wont be as bad as the neuspeed race springs (that give out like 430lbs front and rear). personally idk if I'd do it. but I see no problem with it. unless you're riding on stock springs and are cutting coils... that's a nono. springs are already cheap enough.

although front springs might be a little sketchy.... the way our rear suspension is set up. cutting anything a little wont do much.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited by charada1; 12-01-2012 at 02:40 PM.
charada1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Someone needs to take physics.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/techques...lculations.htm

If cutting stock springs is a no no then why would aftermarket springs be any different? Sounds like you're talking out your ass to me.

Matt

Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Dr_Shashua
Heat em up. Elohel.
i.<3.My.Fg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Altering a spring in any manner will adversely affect the ride to the negative side the springs are engineered to perform a certain way and changing the make for the spring by heating them or cutting them will make you want to throw them any and start over get coils do it right and to get cheap with it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
JaS011410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwalsh View Post
Someone needs to take physics.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/techques...lculations.htm

If cutting stock springs is a no no then why would aftermarket springs be any different? Sounds like you're talking out your ass to me.

Matt

lol I have taken physics and you can cut OEM springs but if you're too cheap to buy real springs you don't deserve to own a car. cutting a spring will increase spring rate not reduce your car too ****. it will make your shocks go out faster but... any spring will do that regardless of cutting so. cutting like a coil or half of one wont ruin the suspension. and lowering a car too far ***** the suspension geometry making the car handle like **** whether springs coils or whatever. if you want good handling don't buy coils. go get some good springs and some good after market shocks.

Last edited by charada1; 12-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charada1 View Post
lol I have taken physics and you can cut OEM springs but if you're too cheap to buy real arinfs y

did you miss the section on springs and spring rates then?

Matt
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charada1 View Post
lol I have taken physics and you can cut OEM springs but if you're too cheap to buy real springs you don't deserve to own a car. cutting a spring will increase spring rate not reduce your car too ****. it will make your shocks go out faster but... any spring will do that regardless of cutting so. cutting like a coil or half of one wont ruin the suspension. and lowering the car to a certain point in any manner will hurt the handling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.