Tracking my car - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tracking my car

Hello I have a 07 SI and have taken it to the track a couple of times and have been disappointed with the brakes and suspension. I want to make the car truly track worthy and am looking for advice on Brakes, Suspension, Intake, exhaust and tuning.

All comments appreciated.

Regards
Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadalian View Post
Hello I have a 07 SI and have taken it to the track a couple of times and have been disappointed with the brakes and suspension. I want to make the car truly track worthy and am looking for advice on Brakes, Suspension, Intake, exhaust and tuning.

All comments appreciated.

Regards
Harry
You will find eveything with the "search" function.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by Brian1; 08-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brakes: high temp fluid, steel lines, and a good track pad (track pads are not streetable, swap at event). You do not need a BBK no matter what anyone tells you.

Suspension: You need to tell us what the car is doing that you don't like, and what you want the car to do differently, before we can make suggestions. Throwing random parts at the car never works, but you can always use a good set of shocks. The only shocks available for these cars that aren't absolutely horrible are Koni Sports (cheap) and Koni Race (probably 10x more than you want to spend).

Power: You will see the smallest gains from power mods, spend your money elsewhere first.

Tires: You forgot tires. Tires are the single most important thing you can put on the car.
testify is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

depending on how hard you want to drive the car, some hawk hp plus pads are gonna be a big step up

some do a tsx front brake conversion...
AndRhum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

David
Tires is what will make the biggest difference period!
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pat Tang
Tires and brakes and your car is like night and day.

Star spec/rs3

And you can try some carbotech 10 in the fronts

Suspension I would just get koni shocks and ground control.

Sent from my ADR6300
aznboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
Tires is what will make the biggest difference period!
It will make you go faster, I agree with that. But if you overheat your brakes, its pointless
Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

redshift gave me good prices on koni shocks and neuspeed springs
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndRhum View Post
It will make you go faster, I agree with that. But if you overheat your brakes, its pointless
All you need are pads.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have been using Hawk HP 10 for brake pads they melt the rubber boots on the caliper and boil fluid in a few laps so it gets exciting when the pedal goes to the floor at the end of the braking zone. I have heard that the TSX Conversion does the trick but havent had any experience with it. As for the suspension the car rolls to much for me. I would like it not to dive as much and stay better planted in the turns. At Watkins Glen there is no way I can keep the car in the VTEC coming out of the toe of the boot. It just drops off I was thinking I need to widen the rpm band that it operated in. At Limerock there is a crazy thing happens the steering gets light at the top of the downhill and the electronic assist shuts off and it is like no power steering at all at the bottom of the hill.

I run in the instructor group so the car is getting a work out but like I said earlier I am looking to go in the right direction from people that have done this and not trial and error on my own.

Thanks for the suggestions does anyone run Michelin sport cup tires?

Last edited by hadalian; 08-22-2012 at 06:00 AM.
hadalian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

If you're boiling your brake fluid, you need high temp fluid, not larger brakes.

Also, it may be driver error too. If you abuse the brakes, they're going to overheat, no matter how fancy.they are.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think you should mention your budget first and foremost.
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ian
If you are serious about tracking your car, do a TSX front brake upgrade, get some track brake pads, get some MOTUL RBF600 brake fluid, some SS brake lines, and get some Dunlop Star Spec or Hankook RS3 tires (the wider the better), a Progress rear AR bar, Swift Spec.R springs & Koni Yellow shocks.

I will guarantee you can pull your face off in the brake zones and corners at that point.
ijm5012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pat Tang
How much money you want to put in? Lol really depends on your budget

Sent from my ADR6300
aznboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

first of all, you should read this : A Serious Track Brakes Setup... That works!

I made the tsx front brake conversion but I did not tracked my car after the upgrade. In short, the conversion will make a bigger heat sink because the caliper is larger. You obsiously need some high temp brake fluid like rbf 600 (ate super blue would be an option too : lower boiling point and cheaper, but still way better than dot 4) SS brake lines will help keep your fluid cooler.

As for suspension, I heard the most important part is the rear sway bar. Its the first place to start. I suggest the progress RSB.

The faster you will go, the more brakes you will need. Tires is the one thing that can make you go much faster.

You should check overthere too : http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com/R...20Packages.htm

This guy tested drop spring rates and there is a guide for the alignement on the bottom of the page. (I have koni sport with neuspeed sport)

Last edited by AndRhum; 08-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Jason Lee
I'm using the TL-S Brembos since my stock calipers kept needed to be rebuild due to excessive high heat.
cambodianricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies I shall start my quest and let you know how it pans out. I agree High Temp brake fluid is a good thing but I dont see how that keeps me from melting everything. I agree the larger mass that the TSX conversion is a good first step. As for the Budget I spent 20K on the car in 07 and like it other than the track so I would say I would like it trackable for another 4k.

Thanks for the leads I appreciate it
hadalian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

You said your brake pedal went to the floor, that happened because you overheated your brake fluid. High temp brake fluid can withstand high temperatures, and in turn, you won't lose your brake pedal.

You are never going to get rid of the heat, so the trick is to upgrade a couple key parts so that you can withstand the heat.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Tires: RE-11/Star specs/AD08/RS3 if you need street tires.

Brakes: High temp brake fluid + track pads + SS lines, then TSX/TL-S/RL brake upgrade if you need/want

Suspension: RSB from Progress/ASR/Cusco first, and if you need more then something from Redshift with Koni/KW shocks

Power: Flashpro to lower VTEC engagement...NA cars don't get much return in power mods so I'd leave this last for if you have money left over
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Ian
Just to give you a rough idea, here is what you can expect to pay *ballpark*

- Tires: $900-$1000 in tires (including shipping and mounting & balancing. depends on the size of tire you go with)
- Rear Sway Bar: $165 (Progress RSB, that is the shipped price from a couple of our vendors on this site)
- HFP Suspension: $300-$400 (can find low mileage used one FS on here, or you can get BNIB ones from ebay for cheap
- TSX Brake Upgrade: $525 (TSX front calipers & rotors, Si rear calipers & rotors, track pads, high temp brake fluid, SS brake lines)
- Camber bolts/sliders: $200 (covers both front and rear of the car)

So you give you a rough estimation, you are looking at roughly $2200 for this set up. You can go with the TL-S/RL 4 pot Brembos, but they cost more and require you to drill out your stock knucle. You can also go with a Koni Yellow/Swift Spec.R suspension set up, which will run you about $500 more than the HFP option.

If you go with the TL-S brembos and the Koni/Swift suspension, I would expect the total to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000-$3500 for everything, and you would have one bad ass HPDE car. You can always source some of these parts used as well, to help save on some of the cost.

Flashpro might be a good investment, as you can eliminate the rev-hang, lower the VTEC point to help squirt off of the corners a bit better, and also raise the rev limiter as well. But for that you are looking at about $550 for the FP + $200 for the tune.

Even if you don't get a Flashpro (which I don't think it will do anything for your lap times, it will just make the car better to drive on the street), you will have a seriously wicked track set up.

Last edited by ijm5012; 08-23-2012 at 08:18 AM.
ijm5012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.