Best spring/shock performance pick! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RedShiftChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 1,652
Chris Shenefield
Best spring/shock performance pick!

Having done many builds and installs of drop springs and shock kits for the new Civic, I can say without a doubt that the best performing drop spring and shock package available now is the Neuspeed Sport Spring with Koni Sport Shocks. Why? Neuspeeds spring rates are 218 front and 448 rear and they are made in Germany on the best equipment and with the best spring materials available (very high quality). And that 448 rear rate is very important because the other poplular springs out there are in the 280-330 range. The 448 rear rate will really help the handling of the car.

And why Koni Sports... very simply they are the best shock for the money, without question. They have a limited lifetime warrantee and are adjustable from a very reasonable near-stock ride quality to a track-inspired performance level that the veteran enthusiast is well aware of.

This combo is priced reasonably at far under $1000 and cannot be beat by anything even close to the price. If you want the best performing setup with a killer look, then this is definitely the best.




Neuspeed says this car has 19x8, 45 offset wheels with 215/35-19 tires.

Please don't hesitate to reply if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Chris at RedShift

Last edited by RedShiftChris; 04-27-2011 at 05:14 PM.
RedShiftChris is online now  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member



 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 37,343
Nice house.
Strate L O S S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 582
Hey Chris, how do these springs compare to swift? Is the drop similar?
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 70
whats the total package price?
tjwashow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ProZach626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Area
Age: 29
Posts: 3,335
Zach
Looks sharp. Low, but not ricerflush dumped.
ProZach626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 70
looking around 700 for complete package, sounds like a great deal, how easy is the install on the newer civics?
tjwashow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Binks
 
Dar-Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Posts: 17,676
Darwin
The drop looks good.
__________________
Dar-Dar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 582
Think I found the answer to my own question about neuspeed springs vs swift as far as drop goes:
Swift Sport
front drop - 1.2"
rear drop - 1.0"

Neuspeed Sport
front drop - 1.6"
rear drop - 1.6"

These are for FA5.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RedShiftChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 1,652
Chris Shenefield
If you are concerned that this is too low for you, then it's probably too low for you. These springs are for the person who wants the best performance rather than the best daily driver. The drop is similar to Eibach Sportlines, and many people think that's too low.

In my experience, roughtly 50% of people will think this is too low. But that leaves half that want this sort of drop and performance level. Which side of the fence are you on?

Chris at RedShift
RedShiftChris is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 582
Thanks Chris. I'll try out the Neuspeeds. I don't go over bumpy or rough roads where I am so I'm not really worried about bottoming out or anything. Plus, I'm trying to do more autocrossing and tracking
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member

 
Bboy_Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 27
Posts: 4,761
Ku
if the Neuspeeds springs are better because of the higher spring rates, wouldn't one just buy a spring with even higher spring rate for better handling? when does it start to become a disadvantage with high spring rate?
Bboy_Burst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RedShiftChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 1,652
Chris Shenefield
The issue with the drop spring market on the new Civic is that the rear springs on most kits is extremely low for the car. So, the Neuspeed Sport springs do it right by upping the rear rate. Progress is better in this regard as well. But the Eibach springs and swift springs are quite lazy in this regard; although they are very comfortable (they just aren't as good for performance).

And like anything, increasing spring rates isn't always what you want because:
1) You may not want the stiffness (although the Neuspeed Sports are far from too stiff).
2) Your shocks may not support the spring rates. I would not run Neuspeed Sport springs on stock shocks, but the Koni Sport shocks are very well matched to them. Koni Sports are good to around 800 rear spring rates on the 8thGen Civic; so the Neuspeed Sports are not even a challenge for the Koni Sports.

Note: The rear spring location greatly affects how high the spring rate should be. On the 8thGen Civic, the spring location is so far inboard that the wheel rate is far below the spring rate (my calculation is 33%). The wheel rate on the front is 100% of the spring rate because it's a strut configuration, and the spring acts directly on the contact patch of the tire. So, even with the high rear rate of the Neuspeed Sport springs, the actual wheel rate at the front is still double what it is in the rear.

We run 550 rear rates standard on our coilover kits, and even that is very reasonable as a daily driver. The Neuspeed rates and drop really are the best drop spring out there for performance.

Chris at RedShift

Last edited by RedShiftChris; 04-29-2011 at 09:26 AM.
RedShiftChris is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: california
Posts: 1,347
is this a bolt on upgrade or do you need to modify things to get this to work









Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris View Post
The issue with the drop spring market on the new Civic is that the rear springs on most kits is extremely low for the car. So, the Neuspeed Sport springs do it right by upping the rear rate. Progress is better in this regard as well. But the Eibach springs and swift springs are quite lazy in this regard; although they are very comfortable (they just aren't as good for performance).

And like anything, increasing spring rates isn't always what you want because:
1) You may not want the stiffness (although the Neuspeed Sports are far from too stiff).
2) Your shocks may not support the spring rates. I would not run Neuspeed Sport springs on stock shocks, but the Koni Sport shocks are very well matched to them. Koni Sports are good to around 800 rear spring rates on the 8thGen Civic; so the Neuspeed Sports are not even a challenge for the Koni Sports.

Note: The rear spring location greatly affects how high the spring rate should be. On the 8thGen Civic, the spring location is so far inboard that the wheel rate is far below the spring rate (my calculation is 33%). The wheel rate on the front is 100% of the spring rate because it's a strut configuration, and the spring acts directly on the contact patch of the tire. So, even with the high rear rate of the Neuspeed Sport springs, the actual wheel rate at the front is still double what it is in the rear.

We run 550 rear rates standard on our coilover kits, and even that is very reasonable as a daily driver. The Neuspeed rates and drop really are the best drop spring out there for performance.

Chris at RedShift
racekar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 33
looks nice.
dc5s0uth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RedShiftChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 1,652
Chris Shenefield
Quote:
Originally Posted by racekar View Post
is this a bolt on upgrade or do you need to modify things to get this to work
Only thing out of the ordinary is the standard fabrication required on the front strut housings in order to use the Koni Sports.

RedShift Strut Housing Labor

Chris at RedShift
RedShiftChris is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
sivtecboi80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 34
Posts: 2,947
Nick
Hey chris hope all is been well, i have always liked neuspeed products and wish they had more love for our platform like they do with older hondas and euros. But anyhow i love my konis but always felt the eibach was a bit lazy as you mentioned. So maybe swapping out to neuspeeds i will be happier in that regard to get sharper responses both on and off the track.
sivtecboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member

 
Bboy_Burst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Age: 27
Posts: 4,761
Ku
Chris: do you know of any linear springs that have a high spring rate?
Bboy_Burst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In yo house puttin my feet on ya couch
Age: 31
Posts: 13,648
Jeremy
I would give up my buddy club n+'s for anyone that would want to get these for me.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RedShiftChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 1,652
Chris Shenefield
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivtecboi80 View Post
Hey chris hope all is been well, i have always liked neuspeed products and wish they had more love for our platform like they do with older hondas and euros. But anyhow i love my konis but always felt the eibach was a bit lazy as you mentioned. So maybe swapping out to neuspeeds i will be happier in that regard to get sharper responses both on and off the track.
It would be interesting if you make the change to get some pics and feedback on the difference between the two. I'm sure someone will be happy to purchase you used eiback prokit.

Chris
RedShiftChris is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
VIP Member
 
sivtecboi80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 34
Posts: 2,947
Nick
yeah i may just do that as the eibachs are like brand new and really im happy with them just i feel something more aggressive will fit this koni better and the car better in terms of my aggressive sport driving.
sivtecboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best shock and spring combo? 06sivap Suspension and Brakes 4 03-03-2011 04:18 PM
YOUR spring/shock setup? (: imjustokay Suspension and Brakes 14 12-14-2010 05:07 PM
Spring and Shock Combo vs. Coilovers itsaljonnn Suspension and Brakes 9 10-10-2010 05:00 AM
HFP Suspension kit VS aftermarket spring/shock RX_AGENT Suspension and Brakes 12 11-10-2007 04:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
copyright 8thcivic.com - all rights reserved