8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Best spring/shock performance pick!

18K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  Gray 
#1 · (Edited)
Having done many builds and installs of drop springs and shock kits for the new Civic, I can say without a doubt that the best performing drop spring and shock package available now is the Neuspeed Sport Spring with Koni Sport Shocks. Why? Neuspeeds spring rates are 218 front and 448 rear and they are made in Germany on the best equipment and with the best spring materials available (very high quality). And that 448 rear rate is very important because the other poplular springs out there are in the 280-330 range. The 448 rear rate will really help the handling of the car.

And why Koni Sports... very simply they are the best shock for the money, without question. They have a limited lifetime warrantee and are adjustable from a very reasonable near-stock ride quality to a track-inspired performance level that the veteran enthusiast is well aware of.

This combo is priced reasonably at far under $1000 and cannot be beat by anything even close to the price. If you want the best performing setup with a killer look, then this is definitely the best.

Neuspeed says this car has 19x8, 45 offset wheels with 215/35-19 tires.

Please don't hesitate to reply if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Chris at RedShift

See less See more
#42 ·
sorry I don't know. Anyone else? H&R is hard to get as a small dealer; so I don't pay much attention to it. My cost on the H&R springs is more than what I sell most other spring sets for, and I don't think they are worth it. The other brands that are popular are just as good from a quality stand point.

Chris

#50 ·
#52 ·
Tein springs are a good quality springs; so if the drop and rate meet with your expectations, then go for it. I think I remember that they are similar to the Sportline and Prokit I think. The Koni shock is what sets that setup apart from many other Tein spring installs I've seen.

Just say away from the cheap Tein coilovers. The Tein SS is one of the worst offenders of garbage cheap coilovers that I've seen. I've removed more than one of these in favor of a Koni-based coilovers setup because the customer hated the Tein SS product. I wouldn't install one of those on my own car if it were free.

Chris

#55 ·
W here did you hear that? Koni does not claim a max lowering limit for the yellow...their performance is not position-sensitive other than you don't want to bottom them out internally....which is why bump stops are important.

A good case in point is the 1.6" drop of the neuspeed sports leaves plenty of stoke on the 06+ civic. Even the 2" drop springs seem to work fine as long as you are not abusing the car....and even then you won't hurt anything if the bump stops are there like they should be.

Where did you hear the 35mm thing?

Chris

#56 ·
^I believe it was in a sponsor thread where they were trying to sell the product...I'm guessing they just copied and pasted the description from some place.

So generally for all shocks, as long as they don't bottom out internally, the position does not affect performance/longetivity?

#57 ·
I think most are like that, and I know the konis are like that. I actually talked to koni about this and confirmed that the sports have no recommended max lowering, but that care should be taken when lowering to be sure the shock retains reasonable stroke and does not bottom out internally (use a bump stop).

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.