Krafttwerks Kit chat and discussion - Page 21 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction And Nitrous > Supercharging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #401 (permalink)

Team NvUS
Does anybody know how much the gains would be with skunk2 stage 2 cams? Skunk was suppose to test these out, i dont think they did though, just curious to find out since i have these layin around thanks.
SkittishFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #402 (permalink)

Well the problem is there is no testing on cams with Rotrex. These do not like high lift like NA cars.. I know that for sure. Too much air
SP33D FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #403 (permalink)
VIP Member

Bradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33D FREAK View Post
Well the problem is there is no testing on cams with Rotrex. These do not like high lift like NA cars.. I know that for sure. Too much air
I would assume higher lifts on the intake cam woulf benefit on this. Or since the rotrex has the efficiency similar to a turbo, would turbo cams work?
sicivic09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #404 (permalink)

John
Off topic but need help: finishing my kraftwerks install today and am wondering if the car is safely driveable on the base map kw provides? I've ordered an etune but have to make a 2.5 hr drive on the 26th and not sure if I'll be able to get any new calibrations by then.
FA5Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #405 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA5Seattle View Post
Off topic but need help: finishing my kraftwerks install today and am wondering if the car is safely driveable on the base map kw provides? I've ordered an etune but have to make a 2.5 hr drive on the 26th and not sure if I'll be able to get any new calibrations by then.
When I was on the basemap, it was stupidly pig rich, it's basically a stock ish map with a ton of fuel.
the sled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #406 (permalink)
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sled View Post
When I was on the basemap, it was stupidly pig rich, it's basically a stock ish map with a ton of fuel.
Think about it: it was "pig rich" for a reason - to compensate for the stupidity of anyone who would naively assume the it was custom tuned for their specific setup. It's intended to safely get you by without damaging your engine.

... "I wanna help the helpless, but I could care less about the clueless". ...
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #407 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Think about it: it was "pig rich" for a reason - to compensate for the stupidity of anyone who would naively assume the it was custom tuned for their specific setup. It's intended to safely get you by without damaging your engine.
I know, thats what I meant by that, they make it so you should not be able to mess it up.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #408 (permalink)

John
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, so it is safe for the engine, but is it recommended to drive very far on a rich setup like that? I'll be partial throttle, cruising at 60-70mph for about 2.5 hrs
Old 12-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #409 (permalink)

KeKeKeKeViN
you can drive it but don't do any pull or whatsoever..keep it under 4k
kekekekevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #410 (permalink)

man i cant wait till spring when i can get my kw kit.
question to those who have installed it.
Would the kit install with the factory lowwer portion on the intake(the part in the driver side bumper)?i
I would like to try and run it with my k and n intake and it uses that fresh air feed on the bottom of the heat shield.
thanks in advance.
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #411 (permalink)
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
man i cant wait till spring when i can get my kw kit.
question to those who have installed it.
Would the kit install with the factory lowwer portion on the intake(the part in the driver side bumper)?i
I would like to try and run it with my k and n intake and it uses that fresh air feed on the bottom of the heat shield.
thanks in advance.
You have three basic choices:
1. To use the Kraftwerks-supplied intake and air filter;
2. Do do as Mucter first hinted at (and I jumped upon) which was to toss the FW filter and adapt the OEM airbox/filter - which bring the sound/noise pretty close to stock levels in search of a stealth approach; and
3. To seek out some other option in search of colder intake air in hopes of a little more power (with the emphasis on the word "little" because short of before/after dyno comparisons, my guess is that whatever increase you achieve will be in your own mind (and certainly not in time slips!)).

Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #412 (permalink)
VIP Member

Bradley
Quote:
2. Do do as Mucter first hinted at (and I jumped upon) which was to toss the FW filter and adapt the OEM airbox/filter - which bring the sound/noise pretty close to stock levels in search of a stealth approach; and
3. To seek out some other option in search of colder intake air in hopes of a little more power (with the emphasis on the word "little" because short of before/after dyno comparisons, my guess is that whatever increase you achieve will be in your own mind (and certainly not in time slips!)).
How is yours running Curt?
sicivic09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #413 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you, though that didnt really answer my question.
the k and n intake sits in baisicly the same spot as the kw one and has a heat shield so lil cooler air would be potential, the heat shield on tue intake has an opening on the bottom that connects the the remaining portion of the stock intake system. The whole upper portion of the stock intake is gone, just the ducting that leads to tue bumper/fender area remains. I agree the air wont be much cooler/ make much of a difference in power, i just want mine to look unique. Worst case if the ducting and lower portion of the stock system need to be removed i can just block off the opening in tue heat shield, just wanting to know if i should do this befor i get the kit installed to allow room for the rest of the kit. Ie. Intercooler piping and oil resovoir
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #414 (permalink)

here some intake pics so u get an idea what i mean
i know ill have to hack the pipe shorter and prolly get one of those 30 degree elbows or simaler to what was done with the stock box, just concerned with that lower fitting on the heat shield and the connection it makes to the ducting and the box in the bumper
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Hectic; 12-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #415 (permalink)
VIP Member

Quote:
Thank you, though that didnt really answer my question.
the k and n intake sits in baisicly the same spot as the kw one and has a heat shield so lil cooler air would be potential, the heat shield on tue intake has an opening on the bottom that connects the the remaining portion of the stock intake system. The whole upper portion of the stock intake is gone, just the ducting that leads to tue bumper/fender area remains. I agree the air wont be much cooler/ make much of a difference in power, i just want mine to look unique. Worst case if the ducting and lower portion of the stock system need to be removed i can just block off the opening in tue heat shield, just wanting to know if i should do this befor i get the kit installed to allow room for the rest of the kit. Ie. Intercooler piping and oil resovoir
You're going to find that the lower part of the OEM air intake needs to be pulled out as the pipe out of the KW FMIC is routed right thru that area.
But go back to my 3 points: you need to define your objective. #1 was the simple out-of-the-box solution; #2 was a solution for a quiet/stealth-like setup; and #3 throws the door open to any/all options trying to squeeze out the last (little) bit of power to be derived by cool intake air. I'm just waiting for someone to poke a snorkel out thru the hood!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #416 (permalink)

less like this

more like this id hope.
the snorkel looks alot cooler on my jeep me thinks lol.
but thanks that answers my question, so looks like ill cut the connection off the heat shield and block the hole.
again not thinkin more power as much as unique install.
thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #417 (permalink)

Wooooo just ordered my kw kit from xlr8 woooooo
00gsrej8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #418 (permalink)

John
Quote:
here some intake pics so u get an idea what i mean
i know ill have to hack the pipe shorter and prolly get one of those 30 degree elbows or simaler to what was done with the stock box, just concerned with that lower fitting on the heat shield and the connection it makes to the ducting and the box in the bumper
]image
[/URL]
It sounds like a bit of a headache to try and retrofit the K&N, since I'm assuming you are planning to cut into the k/w intake that mounts to the charger, then adding the K&N on to that? One other thing you might want to consider is the intake support bracket that is meant to mount to both the k/w intake and for the rotrex oil reservoir won't work on your custom intake without major modification. That being said I'm sure it could be sweet if you got it to work, but IMHO not worth it since there won't be a difference in power (though possibly a small difference in sound), and the intake bracket already, at least for me, was a pain and does not fit nicely. It would certainly give a unique look!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #419 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
You're going to find that the lower part of the OEM air intake needs to be pulled out as the pipe out of the KW FMIC is routed right thru that area.
But go back to my 3 points: you need to define your objective. #1 was the simple out-of-the-box solution; #2 was a solution for a quiet/stealth-like setup; and #3 throws the door open to any/all options trying to squeeze out the last (little) bit of power to be derived by cool intake air. I'm just waiting for someone to poke a snorkel out thru the hood!
Just from intake change and e85 with a retune i picked up 70whp and 30ft/lb tq, obviously not all it from the intake, but it does help. besides that, I'm also running ~10degree cooler intake temps from just the intake swap, ~20 degree temp with intake and e85. I also upped the piping size from 3" to 3.5" tho.

But about the K&N intake, i dont see either way any part of that system being able to fit or adapt to the KW intake, theres too many things running through where you have the K&N stuff.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #420 (permalink)

Quote:

But about the K&N intake, i dont see either way any part of that system being able to fit or adapt to the KW intake, theres too many things running through where you have the K&N stuff.
well the KnN one actually humps up where the kw one sits flat so thatll create more room, as long as i close off the botom air feed it takes less space then the stock airbox as some folks have used. Where you see the sensor connection on the KnN and is roughly where the front side of the stock airbox sits. The filter and heat shield goes way back in the void where there is normally open space behind the stock airbox.
if i hact the KnN like so then place an elbow(blue) to the kw(red) ill have lots of space for the oil can(white)

the KnN only bracket connects to the left side stock airbox mount so leaves options for mounting the oil can.
pardon my crappy phone drawings lol.

Last edited by Hectic; 12-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.