Votes: 138 3.5%
  • 35-36

Votes: 51 1.3%
  • 37+

Votes: 104 2.6%

Civic Si: Your Gas Mileage

496K views 3K replies 932 participants last post by  carguyz 
#1 ·
Post up anything pertaining to petroleum gas.

#2 ·
My gas mileage is decent, but I temper that with the fact that I drive my car. I bold that because I mean, I really drive it. I love the zip the Si has, so I tend to push it a bit and hit vtec alot. If I drove more casually, I would probably get the posted MPG, as it stands now, I don't get anywhere close. My last calculation (which I admit, was a while ago), had me getting around 22-24 a gallon, average (both highway and street). I do alot of highway driving in sixth gear, so that probably helps offset the amount of hard driving I do on side streets.

#1,661 ·
My last calculation (which I admit, was a while ago), had me getting around 22-24 a gallon, average (both highway and street).
According to the window sticker, combined milage is "24" so you are right on with your averaging. My last fill up I got 30.

I have a question regarding gearing. WOn't you get better milage if you are in, say 5th aposed to 6th when going up long slight grades? What I'm getting at is, even though you'll be moving up in mph as you accelerate you will be pushing more gas into the engine. If you are in 5th and also going up in mph you'll use less gas even though your rpm's are higher, because you are not giving it as much gas. Does this make sense? I didn't really know how to word it.

#3 ·
Can we change this to a poll to add range information?

Looks like 12 categories for a poll. Mileage for the polls should be COMBINED mileage. City/HWY would be reported separately in the thread body.

Si Categories:

1: 12-14
2: 15-17
3: 18-20
4: 21-22
5: 23-24
6: 25-26
7: 27-28
8: 29-30
9: 31-32
10: 33-34
11: 35-36
12: 37+
(Yes, there are Si owners that get 37+ MPG, read a few of the ScanGuage threads, or Hypermiling threads)

And THANK YOU, 2FAST!

#4 ·
Janizary said:
Can we change this to a poll to add range information?

Looks like 12 categories for a poll. Mileage for the polls should be COMBINED mileage. City/HWY would be reported separately in the thread body.

Si Categories:

1: 12-14
2: 15-17
3: 18-20
4: 21-22
5: 23-24
6: 25-26
7: 27-28
8: 29-30
9: 31-32
10: 33-34
11: 35-36
12: 37+
(Yes, there are Si owners that get 37+ MPG, read a few of the ScanGuage threads, or Hypermiling threads)

And THANK YOU, 2FAST!

Yep working on it. And you're welcome. ;)

#5 · (Edited)
My "to date" combined mileage for the Si is about 27MPG.

That said, in the last few months I have been using my Scangauge to 'hypermile' (not really, but close) the Si, easily getting into the mid to high 30s on several tanks (average 36.5 MPG over last 7 fills). It would be higher if I didn't ruin it with spirited driving here and there (but that's the whole point, right?)

:party: :driving: /Dances a jig for this thread (happy gas thread nazi shuffle) :vtec: :party:

#6 ·
Tracking everything in Excel -- $/mile, $/day, miles/day, MPG, etc. But car is new. So far I only have two fillups, thus only one set of data points. I work with spreadsheets in my job so although yes I am a nerd, it really doesn't take long to plug in gallons, price, and Trip A mileage and get the rest of the numbers.

Overall mileage between the two was a disappointing 21.4 MPG. I'm hoping to improve that as the engine breaks in and by being a little more careful in normal commuting and errand-running.

#11 ·
I find it hard to believe that an Si could get more than 35 MPG unless you are coasting down hill in neutral for about 200 miles. I have taken entire trips of freeway driving and 18,000 miles later I have not once gotten over 30 MPG on a tank of gas, got 29.6 once. But I do drive pretty fast, usually 80+ on the freeway. I know that if I drove like a grandma and did 65 on the freeway I could get 30 MPG, but I drive my car like a 23 year old person should. Usually 23 on the dot for mostly city driving and about 28 freeway.

#15 ·
spocheld said:
I find it hard to believe that an Si could get more than 35 MPG unless you are coasting down hill in neutral for about 200 miles.
Sorry, friend, but it can. If you have a scan tool that tracks real time fuel delivery and speed you can easily see the 'sweet' spots for the Si (40-45mph in 5th gear, and about 62-65 in 6th gear). Both can return over 40MPG on a relatively 'flat' roadway. Once you hit over 70mph you MPG drops dramitically. At 80mph you are certainly sacrficing fuel economy for speed. Additionally, cruise control is 'required' for those MPG goals. It can make minute adjustments in fuel delivery to make very small adjustments that your foot cannot attain.

I have personally gotten over 38mpg on a trip to California from Vegas, which is inclusive of a few big hills. Given that trip, I feel quite confident that I could attain 40+ should I ever have a road trip across Oklahoma or TX. There are a few other forum members with scan tools that use them when on road trips in their Si who have seen very similar results.

You will never seen that kind of mileage if you have mixed driving (city/hwy), driving in hilly country, accelerate agressively, or drive at over 65mph'ish in 6th gear. This is not, however, what the Si is about, which is why you will normally see about 25mpg on the average, lower if you are scooting about in a spirited fashion. Getting 'hypermileage' in your Si is a 'hobby' or 'challenge' thing for a few strange folks like myself who like to see 'what you can do'. Having seen the results of experimentation, I have changed a few habits that have increased my 'overall' mileage quite a bit, but, as I said, I typically wreck it with weekend bouts of spirited driving.

And, as a point of reference, you can achieve well over 300MPG coasting downhill at 60+MPH out of gear. (Again, scan tools are great...if calibrated correctly) ;)

There are many nay-sayers and non-believers, but those of us who actually have the scan tools to see what fuel delivery is taking place know the truth. It can be done...quite easily at that. But you have to be patient and dedicated. (and be willing to be bored at 63-65mph on road trips)

#17 ·
BLU BY U said:
29-30 everyday driving (50city/50hwy)

31+ when im on only highway on a trip. Best ive got was 32.8
WOW, you must have a freak on your hands. I have been driving 40%highway and 60% city and the best I am getting is right at 26 mpg no matter how I drive. I once tried to take it easy and baby the car and then drive it like I stole it but the gas mileage is always the same. Very consistant between 25.5 and about 26.4 mpg. I never took a long Highway trip but I am sure that the mileage on a steady speed will be a tad more but I doubt I will get 31mpg. Maybe 28-29 if I am lucky.

#18 ·
Janizary said:
Sorry, friend, but it can. If you have a scan tool that tracks real time fuel delivery and speed you can easily see the 'sweet' spots for the Si (40-45mph in 5th gear, and about 62-65 in 6th gear). Both can return over 40MPG on a relatively 'flat' roadway. Once you hit over 70mph you MPG drops dramitically. At 80mph you are certainly sacrficing fuel economy for speed. Additionally, cruise control is 'required' for those MPG goals. It can make minute adjustments in fuel delivery to make very small adjustments that your foot cannot attain.

I have personally gotten over 38mpg on a trip to California from Vegas, which is inclusive of a few big hills. Given that trip, I feel quite confident that I could attain 40+ should I ever have a road trip across Oklahoma or TX. There are a few other forum members with scan tools that use them when on road trips in their Si who have seen very similar results.

You will never seen that kind of mileage if you have mixed driving (city/hwy), driving in hilly country, accelerate agressively, or drive at over 65mph'ish in 6th gear. This is not, however, what the Si is about, which is why you will normally see about 25mpg on the average, lower if you are scooting about in a spirited fashion. Getting 'hypermileage' in your Si is a 'hobby' or 'challenge' thing for a few strange folks like myself who like to see 'what you can do'. Having seen the results of experimentation, I have changed a few habits that have increased my 'overall' mileage quite a bit, but, as I said, I typically wreck it with weekend bouts of spirited driving.

And, as a point of reference, you can achieve well over 300MPG coasting downhill at 60+MPH out of gear. (Again, scan tools are great...if calibrated correctly) ;)

There are many nay-sayers and non-believers, but those of us who actually have the scan tools to see what fuel delivery is taking place know the truth. It can be done...quite easily at that. But you have to be patient and dedicated. (and be willing to be bored at 63-65mph on road trips)
I can see where you got great gas mileage from Vegas to California. That portion is mostly downhill. Even though it doesn't look like it but that stretch between Vegas and LA has a steady downhill slope. The reverse is true on the return trip. I have taken that trip many times and back in the good old days when my rental Car was a Chevy Chevette that constantly overheated trying to go the uphill slope from the trip from Sand Dog to Vegas. I had to pull over at least 3 or 4 times to let it cool off. On the way back it didn't make a peep. Ran as smooth as can be.
Now I live in Indiana which is about as flat as any place on earth I have seen and I don't get anywhere near 30 or 35mpg with my Si. Actually I have tried to take it very easy on one tankful and drove agressively on another and it didn't make a difference whatsoever. I still got about 26 mpg average on both tanks. At least it is consistant. Plus I didn't buy the Si for super duper gas mileage but for the fun factor it provides at a reasonable amount of gas mileage.

#21 ·
There is a big difference in gas mileage between when my wife drives it and when I drive it. My wife doesn't take the time to calculate mileage, but I would estimate in the 23 mpg range (mixed driving - either idling or floored). When we first got the car I took it on a "somewhat" road trip (town was 70 miles away, went back and forth 2 times in a weekend) and got 33 mpg. I just filled it up yesterday after doing some mostly interstate driving (3 round trips to a town 50 miles away) and got about 30.5 mpg. The latest one included several short trips and a fair amount of warm up time (it's 30-40 deg F outside). I can definitly see someone getting over 35 out of it if you drive nice on a road trip.

#22 ·
Tom1222 said:
I can see where you got great gas mileage from Vegas to California. That portion is mostly downhill.

....At least it is consistant. Plus I didn't buy the Si for super duper gas mileage but for the fun factor it provides at a reasonable amount of gas mileage.
It is a 'bit downhill, but lets be real: Las Vegas 2028' - San Berdoo 1200' - Whittier 300'. So an 800' elevation change from vegas to San Berdoo and another 900 to Whittier. I'll give it a bit, but my return mileage was comprable to my outbound so I have to disagree. (Fill before leaving, fill at destination...drive on fill until about to leave, fill for trip, fill when back in Vegas, all so I know what my true HWY MPG was). I'll certainly give that the hill out of San Berdoo and the hill out of Baker are gas eaters, however, the hill out of Baker on the far side is just as bad, then it is slight ups and downs, then a gradual uphill climb to the Cajon pass, then down again. If you just 'have' to go significantly over 65, you are going to get well below 30 for the just about any road trip. (As a reference today I was looking at MPG at 80mph on a flat stretch and it was 24.5mpg, rapidly dropping below 20 on any sort of mild incline)

I can drive about Vegas and get over 30mpg quite readily by just using cruise when I can and not going over 65 (if I am trying to 'see' what I can get on a fill), however, as I stated in my first reply, that is not what the car is about, just a bit of an odd obsession by a few owners to see what they can squeeze out by using their OBDII scanner.

My last 'fill' was a good example of when I just don't care about mileage: 25.5mpg (just filled tonight), which included quite a bit of 80+ roads, spirited Spring Mountain Ranch driving, and some zipping around Mt. Charleston.

#24 ·
Months 1-3, I was getting around 25mpg (Break in Period and testing out 6000rpm+ Zone)
Months 4-8, ~ 32mpg (My work was mostly freeway drive 70% HWY 30% Street)
Months 9-present ~28 (I changed locations for my work and it is all Non-Highway Driving)

My best gas mileage was ~38mpg+ All Highway going on a vacation with full family and camping equipment.
I put 450 miles on one tank with still 2 bars left. I was following some friends that were driving 70 on the Highway so that probably helped on the gas mileage since I normally do 80-85mph.

#25 ·
I get around 22-23mpg after calculations cause when ever I fill up I only fill up like 10.5-11 gallons with like 1 dot left. Drive on sort of hilly roads (202, 309, 63 around the montgomery mall area for those who live in PA). Hopefully it will get better only got like 2600 miles on her(07 si).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.