Canadian Blackbook used car values NOW ONLINE - AND FREE! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Regional Honda Civic Owners - Canada > Ontario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Chris
Canadian Blackbook used car values NOW ONLINE - AND FREE!

Canadian Black Book - 1-800-562-3150

Looks like the trade I was offered of 17k was pretty good a couple weeks ago, as my car is valued @ 15k trade-in on the high range LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Official R18 Crew #1888
my trade in value is 11k-13k so i've lost about half the price i'm paying in depreciation
reximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nishan Perera
holy eff. with only 34,000km's trade in would only be worth 15K? What the hell happened to Honda's resale value. lol. I've lost 15K in under two years!
purplemonkeydishwasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Official R18 Crew #1888
27k here in ~1 year
reximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ray
Wow.. after my finance of 4 years.. my car will be worth 9800.. lol well then..
1ntens3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

SAL
this is exactly why it makes so much sense to lease and not buy. why would you guys put money into something that depreciates so quickly
szuberi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

K.C.
You're right Sal. Why buy a car and never to have to make car payments and have extra cash in your pocket. It just doesn't make sense.
Xenin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Harry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenin View Post
You're right Sal. Why buy a car and never to have to make car payments and have extra cash in your pocket. It just doesn't make sense.
well actually sal is right, unless you are going to drive ur car for a long time without changing it, leasing is the way to go
hc806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Chester
guess i'm gonna keep my car for a while longer lol

high is $7110 lol
aznchzexr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ray
I dunno my situation was that my lease and finance rate wasnt that different. Thats why I went the finance route.
1ntens3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

SAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenin View Post
kc...you always fail to realize that its not about reaching a point where you dont have to make any more car payments (as in your case). its about cash flow and time value of money during the course you make these payments. let me explain.

assuming the rate being constant, if you had leased this same car at the time you decided to purchase (and for the same time period), you would have made a monthly payment that was lower by atleast 40%-50% than your finance payment. this is partly due to the fact that the residual value of the car at the end of the term is almost 50%. so this "extra cash" myth you talk about is very misleading because you paid an extra amount monthly, compared to lease, throughout the term and is the same amount that you "feel" is now in your wallet.

secondly, when you pay less monthly during a lease, all that extra cash you dont pay is yours to spend or invest or save. On a full value of 30,000 bucks, for our cars, you paid say 14,000 less and saved that money in a regular savings account that earned 2-3% for you, offsetting the interest you paid on your car finance payment.

thirdly, leasing is better in terms of risk management of cash flow. if the market dips for used cars for any reason whatsoever (recession, higher gas prices, excessive inventory), you will not end up a fully paid vehicle whose value is lower in relative terms. in a lease, you can always buy that car (if the market is higher than residual) or choose to let it go in case the residual is higher than market. your risk is better managed this way.

most new vehciles in today's market are leased and for the financial reasons i explained. people, specially youngsters like you, tend to think that a car is an investment while it is not. its a purely depreciating asset in our market and putting money in a depreciating asset is not a wise decision imo.

in contrast, if you dont drive alot and have a love affair with your car, then its a different story and you may prefer to buy it eventually (which you can always do at the end of any lease term).
szuberi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

interesting. i usually get the # through the trade-in at toyota website.
96ek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Jonathan
just curious if anyone has traded-in their car recently. I ask because my wife and I are looking to trade up from her '07 Civic LX to a SUV and all the offers we have gotten for our trade-in have been right near, if not lower than the "low" number. Her car is in amazing shape, definitely fits the description of the "high" number.

We've negotiated the price of the new SUV separately (2% above Carcostcanada) but we keep getting lowballed on our trade-in and they won't budge. Just seeing how accurate the black book values are to what people actually get offered.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.