8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Rear Shocks - Slight differential in rear ride height????

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  virtex 
#1 ·
Ok here is the story.

I have 07 Civic coupe..

I went to Honda service center few weeks ago due to burning smell during driving. It came off from left front wheel, so I told them to check. Honda said they will check for all wheels and will let me know.
After few hours, they told me that the plastic bag was melted on the exhaust, which they cannot do anything until I burn them all while driving :SHOCKED:

Ok..that was ok, so I drove my car home and then checked the car myself.
However, as soon as I saw the rear side, I noticed some gap difference between wheel and the body compare to left rear side and right rear side.
IT WAS NOT DIFFERENT BEFORE..
(I could put two fingers on both sides before, but now, two fingers on left rear side, and three fingers on right rear side).

So, I went back to Honda and asked what the hack is wrong with my car!
They checked my car and said..

"Slight differential in rear ride height.. We ordered the rear shockcs for you. It is still covered by Warranty, so don't worry about it. It seems the shocks came with wrong height from the manufacture.."

Is this possible...? :eek:mg:
Or should I go to different Honda service to check what is real?

I can't believe Honda manufactured with wrong size of rear shocks..:readtherules:

See less See more
#3 ·
never herd of that... ever!

the shock is oil it will settle into the position of the spring. they arnt gas charged shocks they dont regulate ride hight.... and the carnt $10000 shocks that pump more or less oil into the chamber to rais and lower the car(yea they exist)

basicly the only thing that can cause one side to be higher is of the spring came loose while the car was in the air and its pinched the rubber that it sits on. that would cause the car to sit higher by the hight of the rubber piece, which happens to be about a finger.

So more likely yea, the rubber is pinched, but thats not really that likley either since it slides onto the spring in such a way that it wont come off unless you really really wat it off, the rubber also sits inside of three cut out holes so it wont rotate....

you have a Si?, have you noticed a unusal amount of body roll lately????

#4 ·
hmm that is add, also the only for your car to have had one different shock then the others is if they put one on from a different type of Honda cause they are all the same (si is one and the non-si is another but both the same height) either thy messed out something and will now try to cover it up by "changing your shocks" if you can I would try to get another dealer to check it out or just a buddy that is a mechanic.

like bart said they are oil shocks and take a little while settle but not that long.

#5 ·
Actually the Si's struts are gas-charged not hydraulic. Ride height is controlled by the springs, not the struts.

If they took the suspension apart at all, it may require time to re-settle. I would go to another dealer because this wrong strut story sounds like bs. The struts have the Honda part # printed on them. Check the # and compare it to another Si.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.