Blown headgasket????Good info. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lonny
hondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Blown headgasket????Good info.

I thought that this was some useful info.

Occasionally, the compression in the cylinder will cause a leak to form in the gasket and the gasket will have to be replaced, or severe damage can take place (a "blown" head gasket). This problem has been exacerbated by the use of aluminum rather than iron cylinder heads; while lighter than iron, aluminum has a much greater thermal expansion rate, which in turn causes a great deal more stress to be placed on the head gasket. Engine makers have responded to this by adding a non-stick coating such as Teflon to the surface of the head gasket.

If the gasket fails, a variety of problems can occur, from compression loss (leading to power reduction, or a rough engine), to exhaust gases being forced into the cooling system, leading to the engine overheating and increased engine wear due to the motor oil being mixed with antifreeze. Coolant can leak into the cylinders, causing the exhaust to issue steam[3] and the catalytic converter to be damaged. If a very large amount of coolant does this, hydrolock can occur, causing extensive engine damage. Sometimes, all that may happen when a head gasket is blown is excessive steam erupting from the tailpipe and the engine may act and drive like normal

A damaged head gasket can cause compression to leak between cylinders.Head gasket condition can be investigated by checking the compression pressure with a pressure gauge, or better, a leak-down test, and/or noting any indication of combustion gasses in the cooling system on a water-cooled engine. Oil mixed with coolant and excessive coolant loss with no apparent cause, or presence of carbon monoxide or hydrocarbon gases in the expansion tank of the cooling system can also be signs of head gasket problems.

Driving with a blown head gasket (if possible) can cause additional extensive damage due to overheating or loss of lubrication.

Blue exhaust smoke may be indicative of oil-burning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

bizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown engine
good info... stuck it for now...

bizzybearfigiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lonny
hondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivichondaonchrome sometimes day dreams about 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybearfigiblue View Post
good info... stuck it for now...
Thanks......Everyone needs to know this.
hondaonchrome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Private Reserve
JoJo07FBPFG2 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
2 late 4 me.. hahaha!! thank god 4 waranty!
JoJo07FBPFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ryan
Dethred just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Oh freaking great. I just did my legend's headgasket a few summers ago. Now there are people having their Civic's gaskets go bad? I guess after that whole mess I could do the Civic's in a day. If you have ever heard about the Legend's Head gasket problem and how much of a B*tch it is to replace, you'll sympathize!
Dethred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

David
KingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with glee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaonchrome View Post
I thought that this was some useful info.

Occasionally, the compression in the cylinder will cause a leak to form in the gasket and the gasket will have to be replaced, or severe damage can take place (a "blown" head gasket). This problem has been exacerbated by the use of aluminum rather than iron cylinder heads; while lighter than iron, aluminum has a much greater thermal expansion rate, which in turn causes a great deal more stress to be placed on the head gasket. Engine makers have responded to this by adding a non-stick coating such as Teflon to the surface of the head gasket.

If the gasket fails, a variety of problems can occur, from compression loss (leading to power reduction, or a rough engine), to exhaust gases being forced into the cooling system, leading to the engine overheating and increased engine wear due to the motor oil being mixed with antifreeze. Coolant can leak into the cylinders, causing the exhaust to issue steam[3] and the catalytic converter to be damaged. If a very large amount of coolant does this, hydrolock can occur, causing extensive engine damage. Sometimes, all that may happen when a head gasket is blown is excessive steam erupting from the tailpipe and the engine may act and drive like normal

A damaged head gasket can cause compression to leak between cylinders.Head gasket condition can be investigated by checking the compression pressure with a pressure gauge, or better, a leak-down test, and/or noting any indication of combustion gasses in the cooling system on a water-cooled engine. Oil mixed with coolant and excessive coolant loss with no apparent cause, or presence of carbon monoxide or hydrocarbon gases in the expansion tank of the cooling system can also be signs of head gasket problems.

Driving with a blown head gasket (if possible) can cause additional extensive damage due to overheating or loss of lubrication.

Blue exhaust smoke may be indicative of oil-burning.
May I add that blue smoke is also the same as white smoke. Driving with a blown head gasket IS very possible. Also, VERY IMPORTANT if you plan on replacing the HG(head gasket) by yourself remove the head bolts from center outward or else you WILL warp your head. And please dear God please tq the head bolts back down to SPEC.

Last edited by KingMarineM16a4; 05-02-2008 at 03:10 PM.
KingMarineM16a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

bizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown enginebizzybearfigiblue has a blown engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMarineM16a4 View Post
May I add that blue smoke is also the same as white smoke. Driving with a blown head gasket IS very possible. Also, VERY IMPORTANT if you plan on replacing the HG(head gasket) by yourself remove the head bolts from center outward or else you WILL warp your head. And please dear God please tq the head bolts back down to SPEC.

i'm sorry but this is misinformation... blue smoke is NOT the same as white smoke...

Different colors of smoke and what they mean:
Blue = Oil
White = Water
Black = Gas
bizzybearfigiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

David
KingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with gleeKingMarineM16a4 runs yellow lights with glee
Quote:

i'm sorry but this is misinformation... blue smoke is NOT the same as white smoke...

Blue = Oil
White = Water
Black = Gas
Well when you are talking about head gaskets blue and white are the same. You are burning oil and coolant.
KingMarineM16a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chicho
S. Honda just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
too late 4 me lol..

but the warranty took care
S. Honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mike
mikeJstein just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
could you give more of a description of how this happens?
1. If I'm driving fairly hard (including track days), is there a point where it happens more often (after so many miles/years?)?
2. Will these symptoms occur suddenly or over a few hours?
3. If it does happen, what else should i check to make sure everything's okay?

Thanks
mikeJstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jeremy
batrup99jeremy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
ok just brought my car back to honda....I think I blew the head gaskets.. car didn't want to start this morning and when the car is idling if you rev it up white smoke shoots out the tailpipe.. on my way to honda my friend was driving behind me and said everytime I let off the gas or gave it gas white smoke came out. I should hear from honda in the next few hours hopefully. What do you guys think??
batrup99jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dave
willowofwisp just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
if u have an SI find out what caused the head gasket to blow, i had several tuning shops tell me its almost impossible to blow the head gasket on these motors, which leads me to think its caused by a faulty gasket
willowofwisp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Jeremy
batrup99jeremy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
hey yea I have an Si and its still under warenty I just had my 1st 2nd and 3rd gears replaced. Honda didn't call me back today but hopefully tommorow I will find something out. I'm really curious to what this is and why it happened..
batrup99jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mark
mark986 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
How many hours of labor is it for you guys to have your head gasket changed?
mark986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hans Scherer
HsOffRoad just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:

Blue = Oil
White = Water
Black = Gas
Technically, white smoke could also be ATF from a bad vacuum modulator in an auto tranny... but yes, other than that, the above is correct
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

time iz money, so iz $peed
G-Ray likes to double clutchG-Ray likes to double clutchG-Ray likes to double clutch
ok i just found out my head gasket iz blown or about 2 be or halfway there. i smelt oil n a guy 4um work told me 2 check my dip stick 2 c if coolant is mixed in with my oil. so i did n sure enough it was. i dont know how long it has been blown/damaged or whatnot but damn now is not da time yo!! money iz tight n now i gotta take my header off (cousin helpin friday) b4 i take it 2 honda. i have less than 25k miles so they might think im suspect! Not 2 mention the guy 4um work knows the honda tech dude so im alright there. he (tech dude) told me ill get a rental car when i bring my car in but he doesnt work til next week (taking saturday off)........ so now ill be buying the cometic hg n arp studs on friday ( he told me he will put it in 4 me 4 a price?!>?!!? he wouldnt tell me)...........so my question is would i be safe driving my car around? i mean its not smoking or n e thing but damn i just dont like the fact dat coolant iz circulating with oil inside my motor! its my daily driver n only driver lol........ i know i have no otha choice but damn.....i dont wanna blow my **** n have 2 duke it out wit honda...........neva had head gasket problems b4.........eva!... gyea i like 2 rev who doesnt! our cars are made 2

Last edited by G-Ray; 12-03-2008 at 05:56 AM.
G-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

G-Ray likes to double clutchG-Ray likes to double clutchG-Ray likes to double clutch
n my car is not over heating yet, so does diz mean its not in the developing stages?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dave
willowofwisp just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
dude honestly do u not know how to type so we can comprehend what ur saying? and no don't drive around on it, ur motor can be loosing compression and it can suffer long term damage like my motor.....
willowofwisp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

no i dont know how 2 type...........tnx though 4 dat info though i will not be driving

Last edited by G-Ray; 12-03-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Jeff-fa-fa
VTEC_flux just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ray View Post
ok i just found out my head gasket iz blown or about 2 be or halfway there. i smelt oil n a guy 4um work told me 2 check my dip stick 2 c if coolant is mixed in with my oil. so i did n sure enough it was. i dont know how long it has been blown/damaged or whatnot but damn now is not da time yo!! money iz tight n now i gotta take my header off (cousin helpin friday) b4 i take it 2 honda. i have less than 25k miles so they might think im suspect! Not 2 mention the guy 4um work knows the honda tech dude so im alright there. he (tech dude) told me ill get a rental car when i bring my car in but he doesnt work til next week (taking saturday off)........ so now ill be buying the cometic hg n arp studs on friday ( he told me he will put it in 4 me 4 a price?!>?!!? he wouldnt tell me)...........so my question is would i be safe driving my car around? i mean its not smoking or n e thing but damn i just dont like the fact dat coolant iz circulating with oil inside my motor! its my daily driver n only driver lol........ i know i have no otha choice but damn.....i dont wanna blow my **** n have 2 duke it out wit honda...........neva had head gasket problems b4.........eva!... gyea i like 2 rev who doesnt! our cars are made 2
This is far beyond the jurisdiction of the grammar police... this requires the grammar FBI with a call to the Spelling special task force.

VTEC_flux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.