Blown headgasket????Good info. - Page 3 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Nico
i agree on that one!!!!!
Che Pive 20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

erik inman
would i have ablown gasket if im having oil leaking from the back of the motor and if my exhaust has water comming out of it? when i start it up a lot of water some out of the exhaust inbeteewn where it connects to the resonator and the muffler and when i shut my car off the exhaust still smokes
eriki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #43 (permalink)

Nic
My gasket blew in late 2009, luckily it was under warranty but still for a 2008 brand new si that i baby like no other I was shocked! It was a bone stock si at the time and things like this happen..
nicayotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #44 (permalink)

Armen
my head gasket was blown on my 2009 r18 it was between the oil change at 4500 miles to when I changed it at 9000 miles do you think its possible I may have caused significant damage. I never really check under the hood other than for oil changes.
armenakadino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #45 (permalink)

Daniel H. Park
does anybody know when is the proper time to change the gasket b4 it blows? now we know the problem it will bring, we need some action b4 it take place!
HizTooL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #46 (permalink)

Jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriki View Post
would i have ablown gasket if im having oil leaking from the back of the motor and if my exhaust has water comming out of it? when i start it up a lot of water some out of the exhaust inbeteewn where it connects to the resonator and the muffler and when i shut my car off the exhaust still smokes
1. oil leaking isnt usually a sign of a blown head gasket that sounds more like a valve cover leak that is running down the back of the engine. since our engines are tilted back.

2. and as for the water that could be a sign BUT.... sounds more like your starting up your car in the morning when its cold and the heat in your exhaust and the cold weather out side (even if it is 70-80F) would cause condensation inside you exhaust.

so what i think is if your oil looks normal when you check it, their is no thick white smoke from your exhaust, and no big loss in power. than im 99% positive you dont have a blow head gasket

hope that helps man
JDM_FG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #47 (permalink)

Taylor-R18 crew member #409
check and see if you still have a dipstick. usually the dipstick will melt if the head gasket blows due to heat.
fatlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #48 (permalink)

Matt Smith
Is this blown head gasket a "problem" on Civics in general or just the SI's....or is this more of an "Info" sticky thread.

I'd hate for head gasket problems to be common on these cars.....I mean I just got mine (2011 Civic Sedan)...so im hoping this isn't common or anything, or if it is I hope at least the 2011's have thicker/better head gaskets.

Last edited by Mercfh; 03-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Mercfh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

**** u
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicayotte View Post
My gasket blew in late 2009, luckily it was under warranty but still for a 2008 brand new si that i baby like no other I was shocked! It was a bone stock si at the time and things like this happen..

wow that is a miracle
760-dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #50 (permalink)

Alex
Think I blew my head gasket yesterday...had it towed to the Honda Service Center...will update when available
SI, 50,XXX
I/H/E Tuned FP =(

*Looks like it's going to be covered under warranty. Woot

Last edited by RR Beach FG2; 04-29-2011 at 11:39 AM.
RR Beach FG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #51 (permalink)

Captain
best way to know is a leak down/ compression test
CaptainSmokeSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #52 (permalink)

Alex
or if you have milky oil coming off your dipstick
*the headgasket prevents engine coolant from coming into the actual engine, kinda like an o-ring
RR Beach FG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #53 (permalink)

Matt Smith
Is this like a "common" problem. or just on Tuned/FI Si's or something? I mean I don't rev up that much on my little civic (non-si) but I like to give it a good push everynow and again.
Mercfh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #54 (permalink)

I have a 08 Honda ex and I blew my head gasket today. 75000 miles. My car is currently at a mechanic shop which was the cloest place I had heard of. Any recommendations for me
Tjk71868 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

coolant leaking

I have an issue with my 2008 civic sedan lx. Went to drive it this morning and it took for ever to heat up and once it started to heat up it over heated. There was not a drop of coolant in the radiator or overflow tank! checked hoses, radiator cap, radiator. no leaks and the drain screw is on tight at the bottem of the radiator. Filled it up with 50/50 coolant and got to work, 60 mi away, with no issues. Started my car up after work and i smelled coolant. Its slowly running down the front of my engine on the passenger side behind the alternator. Its dripping down on the frame then onto the ground. Smells like coolant but the color is blue. The engine runs fine when the coolant level is full and i have no power loss, it idles normal, and i ave no smoe coming out the tailpipe. Whats the problem? Its too cramped to sind the source of the problem.
cjtaylor2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #56 (permalink)

I have while smoke coming out my exhaust while idle and if i give gas it comes more and i checked my oil its clean and coolant is not even milky what you guys think it could be .
jpatel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #57 (permalink)

let me add my 2 cents. Fried my gasket, I hope not much more. The AC unit locked up, fried my serp belt and tensioner pulley. Fixed that, ran fine for 2-3 days, then the overheating started, I thought because my overflow tank got hot and warped...replaced it and now my motor puffs white smoke. Pulled my plugs soaking wet on the 1-2 cylinders, bone dry 3-4 cylinders. Used a fix all gasket sealer...helped a bit, but I am not for quick fixes. Fortunatley I just got promoted and get a company Nissan to drive into the ground. I will do a nice DIY when the kit comes in, 100$ for the whole deal. Head gasket,valve cover, etc. New head bolts cost me almost as much...ugh! Heat kills head gaskets people, that is all.
BilltheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #58 (permalink)

ray
i think i might have blown my head gasket in my 2006 honda civic si :*( but i figure ill post on here and see waht others think, im hoping its just the head gasket or im screwed. to start with, i have a 2006 honda civic si with a plethora of mods. i have 800CC injectors, a CT stage 2 supercharger, 3" pulley, k24 crank pulley, takeda short ram intake, full invidia headers and exhaust heat wrapped, and a 883mlpm (14GHZ) methanol distribution system pushing 340whp. a while back someone ripped out my methanol from my trunk and the shop that replaced it didnt do a good job as they didnt specialize in aftermarket parts. when i took it to the track the methanol shut off and i ended up disintegrating 3 spark plugs, cracked the ceramic and everything. i put it in the shop cuz at the time i didnt know it was the spark plugs and they swapped them out and then when i got it back there was white smoke coming from my tail pipe when i was idling and whatnot. well today i got on it a bit (after the methanol was propperly fixed) and then i noticed my rpms dropped off (there was no bang, pop, boom, no loud noises, nothing) but out the back was an enormous amount of white smoke and then my cars oil light and cel came on like when you stall it, but the car was still running, albeit absolutely crazy, then it died. im thinknig head gasket as opposed to piston rings because the smoke was completely white and there was a TON of it, but also thinknig that because there was no sound to indicate the motor blew. it ran for a couple minutes after but was sputtering. any suggestions?
hfp_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #59 (permalink)

My head gasket just went after 139000 miles
hypo745 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #60 (permalink)

is this common for the k20's or r18?
si83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.