What wheel drives - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

t.bennett86 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
What wheel drives

Hey guys,

I gotta work on my car in my driveway which has a slight incline.

Can anyone tell me what wheel drives the car and what wheel the e brake is on? (Front and rear discs)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

CougarBait just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Are you referring to the wheel that is typically the main one off the differential? As in Driver/Passenger side? (That I'm unaware of, someone else here most likely knows. Mine was on a lift one time and it looked like my passenger side wheel was moving when the gear was engaged, the diff not being locked)
Or are you referring to front and rear wheels? Obviously its a front wheel drive. And I assume the parking brake is on the rear discs, but I could be wrong. If it helps, I always chock both the front and rear, just on opposite sides.

CougarBait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Docta2002 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
E brake = both rear wheels
drive wheels = both front
Docta2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey guys thanks for the reply.

I have a Manual transmission. So I'm going to keep it in gear as well as e brake. But I thought the ebrake was only on one rear wheel as well as the drive wheel being powered by one of the front.

Thanks again

t.bennett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

RedCoupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Two things:
1) Get a pair of wheel chocks, there are times when you might have to put it into neutral or release the parking brakes (or someone might do so inadvertently) and they will keep the car in place. You may also be able to turn the steering wheel to direct the car into a curb (not all driveways have curbs) or safe area should it roll. After using blocks of wood and bricks for years I bought a inexpensive folding set, so long as they are set up right the work incredible well and don't slip.

2) check that your parking brake is set properly and working (it should click 8-10 times with 40 pounds of force applied to the handle when set) if your going past that point, or the car still wants to roll you should re-adjust the parking brake.

Due to the way a differential works one wheel has slightly more power than the other, this is most noticeable if you are on a very slick surface (i.e. ice), the passenger wheel will spin while the driver side just sits there. If your civic is an SI this is less of an issue due to their limited slip differential. In any case with the engine off, and the transmission in gear nether wheel is going to turn. The parking brakes start as a single cable from the parking brake leaver and branch off under the console to two separate wires, one to each wheel. On a rear disc car the mechanism is built into the caliper, the only visible part aside from the cable end is the lever and return spring.
RedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great. Thanks A lot guys!

t.bennett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.