keyless control module-where is it? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

sanpablo just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
keyless control module-where is it?

Hi,
Son's 2008 Civic EX sedan. Key fobs stopped working.
Dealership says keyless control module needs to be replaced.
Not in stock, they are going to order it. What I was thinking was going to the
local wrecking yard and putting it in myself. Assume the dealership will have to
reprogram fobs? What do you think? Where is it under the dash?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Zimmer
BlurpleFG1 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
The immobilizer and keyless entry module is located on top of the ignition switch.

You can use a salvage part but it has to be programmed to the car before will start with the key. They'll use the HDS to complete the 'replace immobi unit' procedure. Make sure you have all keys with you.

...there is a way to start the car to get it to the dealer for programming but it's VIN specific and needs to come from the dealer.

BlurpleFG1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car starts fine, no problem with key immobilizer. Just the key fobs for door locks
are no longer working. Dealer said module is under the dash somewhere?
sanpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

FuntanaS just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Are you sure the key fobs just don't work? If not I would figure out where the module is and find one at the junkyard. They are definitely not a hot commodity at the salvage yard.

I will do some research on where it is.
FuntanaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

RedCoupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
I have to agree with FunanaS, does the LED on the FOB light up when the lock/unlock buttons are pressed? If it does not, go buy a CR1616 coin cell and replace the battery in the key fob.
RedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have 3 key fobs, red light on all 3 light up well. Dealership
is sure it is the keyless control module. I would like to replace
it myself if I can, will save a bundle :-) even if they charge $90
to reprogram keyfobs.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Zimmer
BlurpleFG1 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpablo View Post
I have 3 key fobs, red light on all 3 light up well. Dealership
is sure it is the keyless control module. I would like to replace
it myself if I can, will save a bundle :-) even if they charge $90
to reprogram keyfobs.
8th gen Civics don't have a separate keyless control module.

What's the code your dealer found that makes them say the module needs replacing?

Because you're only having a problem with the keyless entry....

B1905 is a B can code for loss of communication between the immobilizer/keyless module and the MICU/interior fuse block.

A loose pin at the immobilizer/keyless module or the MICU could also be the cause.

On the immobilizer/keyless module there's a 7 pin connector. Pin 4 (pink wire) is the B can line. Don't confuse it with pin 6 which is also pink, it's for the immobilizer.

On the back of the MICU is connector Q. It's a 16 pin connector in the middle row of connectors. There's a pink wire there that's also the B can line. I'm sorry, I can't remember off the top of my head which pin number it is and I don't have access to my schematics.
BlurpleFG1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

RedCoupe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
Short answer you can change the part yourself, BUT the car will no longer start.

As BlurpleFG1 mentioned the remote features are built into the same module that enables or disables the ignition to the car (the immobilizer). If you buy a new one you certainly can install it on your own but the new module will not recognize any of the keys, the FOBs or the car's own ECU/PCM and MICU units.

Brief outline of what is required:
Remove negative terminal cable at battery
Remove lower dash cover, remove upper steering wheel cover, lower steering wheel screws, and lower steering wheel cover. Unplug the immobilizer connector and the key-in ignition switch connector* (located around the ignition key hole area), remove the screws for both units, remove units and separate the key-in switch from the immobilizer. Installation is the reverse. (*on cars with an automatic transmission there is a third connector on the ignition unit which connects to the parking lockout solenoid.)

If you go this route you will have to ask the dealer if they will do that for you (register the immobilizer to the ECU/PCM & MICU) and at what cost, if you buy the part from them they might be more co-operative. But again while the part is easy to install, you need access to the diagnostic software the dealer has in order to set up the new module and program the keys, if you don't your car will not move under its own power. You would literally have to install it right out of the dealers' maintenance bay and push the car inside for them to do the work.

You might have to find one hell of a good humoured service manager and service techs to go along with this sort of thing.
RedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK,
That's what I thought might be needed. I will have to let the dealership
fix the problem, thanks for all the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.