VTEC is broken with a loud tick - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Drizzy_Drake0412 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
VTEC is broken with a loud tick

I have a 08 Si with the K20z3 with flashpro and everything. So I went to school the other day about an hour from where I live and VTEC started cutting in and out when I was about ten minutes from school. I parked it, went to class and about two hours later, I got back in to drive and it was acting normal again. Once the engine got to normal temperature, VTEC starting cutting out again and eventually wouldn't kick in at all. And after letting the car sit again when I got to work, it still never started working again. My automatic assumption was to take off the VTEC solenoid and clean the screen and make sure there was no trash preventing it to work right. I put the solenoid back on, and it still didn't work. So I knew I had to order a new solenoid assembly.

Now here's what is weird. I drive it without VTEC home as I have no other option, and the next day I'm going to work and about 3 minutes from my house, the engine dies on me. I was dogging it or anything like that, I knew VTEC wasn't working and I was keeping the rpms below 3 - 4k. I pulled over and let it sit for awhile, checked all my fluids and everything and it started right back up, but it now has a crazy loud tick. Almost a knock. I know these motors tick normally, but this is like a valve tick or something. I can't exactly tell. The tick is constant at idle and gets worse as the rpms go up. I get my new VTEC solenoid in the mail in a couple days, but is that what's causing the problem? Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

132xxx miles, routine oil changes (Pennzoil 5w-30 and filter change every 6k miles)

Drizzy_Drake0412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rob
Doeboy211 will be known by all on 8thcivic soonDoeboy211 will be known by all on 8thcivic soon
You should check your VTEC fluid, probably low
Doeboy211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not looking for smart ass answers
Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dan
dem2757 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
you do know that if oil pressure is low the car will kill vtec engagement correct? so checking your vtec fluid is an apt suggestion......
dem2757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

To try on this one more time, I replaced the VTEC solenoid with a genuine OEM replacement assembly and it was still ticking really loud. So me and my boss decided to pop the valve cover off to check the valves, and every single one is where it's supposed to be after measuring them with a feeler gauge. Then we turned the crank by hand to see if anything was sticking or if any of the cams weren't engaging or something weird and everything looked perfect. But it still has a crazy tick coming from what SEEMS like the valve train, but it's obviously not...

Another thing, I took it to a good mechanic friend of ours and he says it sounds like it's coming from the timing chain. Could the timing chain tensioner tick really loud? And also, driving it back to my shop, the engine was warmed up so I decided to try to engage VTEC, and with the BRAND NEW solenoid, I still have no VTEC. So I still have a loud tick coming from underneath the valve cover and no VTEC. I'm completely out of ideas of what it could be.

The only other thing I've seen is someone said on here that the oil pump is chain driven on these cars, and they had a ticking noise coming from their oil pump tensioner. How hard is that to get to? Anyone ever heard of that causing issues like what I have?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dan
No mentions of possible OBD codes. No mention of diagnostic oil pressure readings. No mention of oil level checking.

You have to help us help you. From what you are posting it seems like you have not enough oil and are killing the car by running it out to high rpm and failing to have sufficient oil pressure to engage the vtec crossover and arent low enough to actually hit the idiot light. The tensioner wont kill vtec unless you are so out of timing that the car is limping itself. Which sounds like it isnt.

Get your mechanic friend to pull diagnostic and read the data.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem2757 View Post
No mentions of possible OBD codes. No mention of diagnostic oil pressure readings. No mention of oil level checking.

You have to help us help you. From what you are posting it seems like you have not enough oil and are killing the car by running it out to high rpm and failing to have sufficient oil pressure to engage the vtec crossover and arent low enough to actually hit the idiot light. The tensioner wont kill vtec unless you are so out of timing that the car is limping itself. Which sounds like it isnt.

Get your mechanic friend to pull diagnostic and read the data.
No engine codes whatsoever. The only code it was ever showing was right before I replaced the VTEC solenoid, it said a rocker arms actuator circuit was high. Replaced VTEC solenoid, disconnected battery to reset ECU, and a CEL never came back on. Drove it around town with it ticking like wild, and no CEL light or other warnings.

Also, oil changed about a week ago with the same oil that's been in it it's entire life and the oil is still topped off. So I never figured oil level was a problem. It's still at the top line of the dipstick. When this problem first started, the oil level was the very first thing I checked.

But it's not throwing any codes and I've used multiple OBD scanners to see what they'd say. Still no clues.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dan
i vote for an oil pressure readout to eliminate that being an issue
Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem2757 View Post
i vote for an oil pressure readout to eliminate that being an issue
Don't have what's necessary to do an oil pressure test right now, but, I'm still trying to figure out the rattle and I can BARELY feather the gas to keep it around 1300 - 1500 RPM to keep the exhaust from being too loud so I can still hear the rattle, and it rattles bad on acceleration. I can hold it at a rpm and it won't be a ridiculous rattle but when I'm going between rpms, it rattles pretty loud. But it still sounds like its coming from underneath the valve cover or timing chain. It's not a tick, it's a rattle.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dan
something is broken and i would advise against running the engine until you know what it is.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Right now, me and my friends and bosses best guess is that since it died on me and THEN started ticking is that it jumped time on me and now it's off a tooth or so. It was catastrophic enough to where as in some cases I've seen of this car when they jump time is that their vehicles wouldn't start back at all, mine still starts and runs but it's a tooth off causing the rattle or something. Maybe? And since it's our of time, vtec won't work properly.

I don't know, the valves are adjusted, I've turned the motor by hand 100 times to check everything and literally everything in the valve train looks perfect. It still starts and runs with no codes whatsoever so I really don't know what else it could be. The timing being a tooth off just makes sense to me after checking out everything BUT the timing.

I just got the valve cover back off and I'm about to check to top two cranks to see if they're in time still.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

CraigW just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Can an engine that utilizes a timing chain even jump timing .....??

Had to have been one hell of an event if so.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've seen a couple people say before on here that their engine was off one tooth. Without pulling the timing chain cover we just turned the motor a hundred times and found TDC for piston 1 and the cam marks lines up perfectly with the black chain links. So the top end is perfectly in time.

I'm completely out of ideas on what could be rattling in my motor.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gary
Vimto just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Since you have a Flashpro, I would run a datalog and have someone look at that and go from there. I agree on advising you not drive the car hard till problem is fixed.

Ticks could be injectors (which is normal and loud af).

For rattling issue, if you have stock headers with cats on, I would check on the heat shield, let car idle and reach under with an oven mitt of something that would protect your hand from extreme heat and push around on the shield to see if it stop rattling.
Vimto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimto View Post
Since you have a Flashpro, I would run a datalog and have someone look at that and go from there. I agree on advising you not drive the car hard till problem is fixed.

Ticks could be injectors (which is normal and loud af).

For rattling issue, if you have stock headers with cats on, I would check on the heat shield, let car idle and reach under with an oven mitt of something that would protect your hand from extreme heat and push around on the shield to see if it stop rattling.
Utilizing my flashpro was my next idea. Wonder what it'll show me...

I can actually hear the rattle over my injectors, I know they usually tick really loud but this is more of a rattle coming from what seems like the front of my valve cover. But once I take off the valve cover, everything seems perfect. I even got one of those fancy cameras to stick down in the cylinders to see if the valves were making contact with the piston and there's no marks or anything to make it seem like that's what's going on.. but I can hear it coming from the front of the motor and I can feel it through if I put my hand on the intake manifold.

I've already checked the heat shields and everything and they are fine too. I haven't driven my car since it started rattling, I've just been taking it apart, messing with something and then putting it back together to see if it fixed it. But literally nothing is giving me any clues as to what it could be.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Finally got my motor put back together today.. retimed it, checked the hybrid racing TCT I have to make sure it's still locking right and it is.. put everything back together, checked all my fluids levels and fired it up. Still rattling like crazy.

I've had my car down for almost a month now. I've done everything I know to do. Taken it apart 6 times to check valve spacing, timing marks, timing chain, TCT, even stuck a camera down in the cylinders to check my pistons and valves. Completely at a loss now and I need my car back.

Does anyone have any idea where my rattle could be coming from? I'd appreciate any ideas.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Dan
you need to post a video of the sound if you can
Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Brenden
Juicedup29 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Juicedup29
I had the same issue at start up as well as certain rpms. I got an entire timing chain kit, replaced it, and the sound went away.
Juicedup29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

EpicGamer87 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Just taking a shot in the dark here.. have you tried reverting to the stock base map to see if it changes anything?

EpicGamer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.