VTEC is broken with a loud tick - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

VTEC is broken with a loud tick

I have a 08 Si with the K20z3 with flashpro and everything. So I went to school the other day about an hour from where I live and VTEC started cutting in and out when I was about ten minutes from school. I parked it, went to class and about two hours later, I got back in to drive and it was acting normal again. Once the engine got to normal temperature, VTEC starting cutting out again and eventually wouldn't kick in at all. And after letting the car sit again when I got to work, it still never started working again. My automatic assumption was to take off the VTEC solenoid and clean the screen and make sure there was no trash preventing it to work right. I put the solenoid back on, and it still didn't work. So I knew I had to order a new solenoid assembly.

Now here's what is weird. I drive it without VTEC home as I have no other option, and the next day I'm going to work and about 3 minutes from my house, the engine dies on me. I was dogging it or anything like that, I knew VTEC wasn't working and I was keeping the rpms below 3 - 4k. I pulled over and let it sit for awhile, checked all my fluids and everything and it started right back up, but it now has a crazy loud tick. Almost a knock. I know these motors tick normally, but this is like a valve tick or something. I can't exactly tell. The tick is constant at idle and gets worse as the rpms go up. I get my new VTEC solenoid in the mail in a couple days, but is that what's causing the problem? Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

132xxx miles, routine oil changes (Pennzoil 5w-30 and filter change every 6k miles)

Drizzy_Drake0412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rob
You should check your VTEC fluid, probably low
Doeboy211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not looking for smart ass answers
Drizzy_Drake0412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dan
you do know that if oil pressure is low the car will kill vtec engagement correct? so checking your vtec fluid is an apt suggestion......
dem2757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.