VTEC is broken with a loud tick - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
killswitch21 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Have you tried listening to various parts with a stethoscope to see if you could isolate the sound.

My car also has a weird rattle tick that I coul dnot tell exactly where it was coming from. Between listening to the various parts, it definitely sounds like the sound is originating from my AC compressor. (My car seemingly runs just fine, but with a weird tick/rattle..

I haven't actually gotten around to changing it, but listening should help you isolate the sound

killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

Drizzy_Drake0412 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
My car has now been sitting for a little over a month, I've been beyond frustrated with checking one little thing at a time.

My biggest deal is, my VTEC quit working, next day my engine dies in the middle of driving, then my engine startes rattling. What could cause that? What happened to my car when VTEC wasn't working? Why'd VTEC quit working in the first place? (I have replaced my solenoid but haven't even been able to see if my $135 solenoid works because my motor ticks and rattles like wild).

I've been suggested a wrist pin may be causing it.. to me it definitely sounds like something in the valvetrain but we completely removed the cams and lifter assembly and everything seems perfect.

I've always been suggested the timing chain tensioner, but, it sounds like it's completely coming from the top. Maybe I have low oil pressure and the top isn't getting oiled properly..? I've still got brand new oil in it where I just changed it just a week or two before it messed up.

I'm desperate to get my car back I just literally don't know what to check or test now. Whoever can think of anything, just remember.. the car ran PERFECT. No lights before or after it messed up. Still no CEL light or anything. My VTEC quit working, next morning my car died 5 minutes after I left my house going about 40 mph, started the car back up and it's rattling like wild.

Drizzy_Drake0412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

By the way, timing chain was JUST redone not too long ago with a better timing chain and a hybrid racing TCT. I also retimed it a couple weeks ago, put it back together and it didn't fix my problem at all. Still rattling.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

Dan
dem2757 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
cars usually run perfectly right before they grenade themselves.......you've exhausted your mechanical ability-end of story.

Time for a shop and get ready to pony up some serious $$$$. Your cars variable cam technology fails to operate, the engine does not run correctly, and it is ticking/knocking. It HAS a hard failure that wont trigger a code.

When you blow a rod through a K20 the check engine light wont turn on to warn you. When you spin a bearing, there wont be a code. Time for a shop
dem2757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem2757 View Post
cars usually run perfectly right before they grenade themselves.......you've exhausted your mechanical ability-end of story.

Time for a shop and get ready to pony up some serious $$$$. Your cars variable cam technology fails to operate, the engine does not run correctly, and it is ticking/knocking. It HAS a hard failure that wont trigger a code.

When you blow a rod through a K20 the check engine light wont turn on to warn you. When you spin a bearing, there wont be a code. Time for a shop
Hey I'm not the give up type, I've got this thing tore apart and I'm familiar with this motor, I just don't know where to look. I'm really just looking for ideas, I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem besides people who needed to change their TCT. I did hear one guy say he had a "ticking" noise but he had to change out his oil chain tensioner and that's not the easiest thing to get to with the motor still in the car (if it's even possible to get to it without pulling the motor).

Just looking for a suggestion. It's not something simple, it's in the motor. Sounds like valvetrain. It's coming from up top literally right on top of the vtec solenoid. So since my VTEC isn't working, I'm guessing its something to do with that.

I've also been told to check my loss motion springs, but they all seem to be exactly the same.

Car runs, drives, acts fine. Just a steady rattle and no VTEC.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #26 (permalink)

Steve
UberFunk just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Have you thought about the VTC? I know some models had a recall or at least a notice put out about failing and ticking vtc actuators. My fathers 2014 CRV had to have his replaced. I might get mine replaced on my 2010 si since it rattles quite loudly for a second at start up. Im not sure how it would effect the operation of vtec but it could explain the loud ticking in the valve train area while still having the engine run. Maybe something goofy like its letting a bunch of oil pressure get by before it gets to the vtec solenoid? Though I don't know how the oil is routed through all that. Just thinking out loud man. Good luck.

Here, this guy: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-rbc-003.html

Last edited by UberFunk; 05-19-2017 at 10:15 AM.
UberFunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFunk View Post
Have you thought about the VTC? I know some models had a recall or at least a notice put out about failing and ticking vtc actuators. My fathers 2014 CRV had to have his replaced. I might get mine replaced on my 2010 si since it rattles quite loudly for a second at start up. Im not sure how it would effect the operation of vtec but it could explain the loud ticking in the valve train area while still having the engine run. Maybe something goofy like its letting a bunch of oil pressure get by before it gets to the vtec solenoid? Though I don't know how the oil is routed through all that. Just thinking out loud man. Good luck.

Here, this guy: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-rbc-003.html
My motor is halfway pulled right now, all that's left is dropping the subframe and the motor and trans itself... but.. I read this post and I've been thinking hard on it the last few days. I took my VTC actuator out and it was pretty dirty and gunked up so I took the screens out, cleaned them and the solenoid itself with parts cleaner and wd-40. After that, I tested it by giving one pin ground and one pin power and the sound was just way too familiar to me. I really think it's my VTC actuator clicking rapidly for some reason why my motor is running. The click it makes when activated is exactly what it sounds like to me. But what would cause it to continuously, non stop turn on and off while the motor is running? And the noise is constant with the rpms.

I started to pull the motor and trans to inspect the oil pump and oil chain tensioner and all of that and to replace my clutch while I already had everything out. But if I could get a new vtc actuator and that fix all my problems then screw pulling my motor. I just don't know what would cause it to continuously click on and off while the motor is running. I've seen many people on here talk about it rattling on startup up but not the entire time the car is running. I hope that's my problem, I'd just like to know the cause of it.

My VTEC did start studdering and quit completely. Replaced VTEC solenoid, didn't fix VTEC. Then my car died on me and when it started back up, the rattling started. And it never quit. So it was rattling like wild with no VTEC. So could this vtc actuator be causing my VTEC and my rattling problem?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

I misunderstood everything, hang out. The vtc actuator is the gear or whatever. The VTC solenoid is what I was messing with and making click on and off. I've seen where the vtc actuator will "grind" and stuff but I've never had a problem like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.