CV axle making noise going when going straight? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

CV axle making noise going when going straight?

I have a 2008 Civic EX sedan with a manual transmission. I just finished a clutch job and also had to split the tranny to replace a bad input shaft bearing.

Originally, I took it to the dealership to have them diagnosis the problem (the ISB was making a "marbles in a can" sound and I wanted to make sure that the ISB was the cause of the problem before I went through the trouble of dropping the transmission). The dealership told me I had a bad axle, so obviously, I can't fully trust their diagnosis since they were flat-out wrong about the cause of the marbles-in-a-can sound.

Also, up to that point, I did not hear any popping noises when going around turns as you would expect with a bad axle.

After I finished buttoning up everything with the new clutch and repaired tranny, I had the front wheels off the ground to test everything before taking it for an actual spin. When the vehicle was in gear, even while at idle, I could hear a random thumping sound that would come and go. It was very noticeable in the cabin. I ruled out that it was coming from the transmission by placing a screwdriver up to various spots around the transmissions and putting the other end to my ear.

The spot it sounded like it was coming from was the driver's side axle.

I made sure the axle was mated fully to the transmission, so I know this isn't because the axle is not fully seated.

I've now been driving around for the past few days. The car is accelerating and going into gear like it should, and I'm not feeling any vibrations. However, I can still hear this random thumping when accelerating from a stop. It's not pronounced like it was when the wheels were off the ground, but there is definitely a noise.

I did notice that with one U-turn I made, the sound was more pronounced and I hear a series of thumps. However, I haven't been able to replicate it when turning or u-turning.

Is it possible for an axle to make this sound when going in a straight line?

Last edited by p00tster; 05-10-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Justin
How many miles on axle? Could be a worn CV joint. Just took messing with it to become apparent. At least from the symptoms you've provided that's what it sounds like. Also would make sense why it was more pronounced with the wheels off the ground as the angle of the inner CV joint would be at its highest deflection point.

When you had it out did you notice if any of the boots were torn?

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, I inspected the boots when I had them out and they looked fine. I couldn't find any grease on them, either.

I suppose the axle could still be bad even without the boot being torn?

I should add that this is the original axle, and the car has 103,000 miles on it.
p00tster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00tster View Post
Yep, I inspected the boots when I had them out and they looked fine. I couldn't find any grease on them, either.

I suppose the axle could still be bad even without the boot being torn?

I should add that this is the original axle, and the car has 103,000 miles on it.
Yes its more the possible for the axle to become bad even if the boot isn't torn. As time goes on the original grease will eventually lose its lubricity and your joints will eventually ware. Just sounds like yours decided to go out.

They don't seem like they are that expensive of a piece and iirc come in pairs? May depend on brand.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 05-10-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Check motor mounts, frame bolts , and camber bolts?
TopnochRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Drivetrain noise is the lifeblood of your neighborhood technician. 100k on a set of axles should be enough to just be breaking them in. You drive your civic like you stole it or like you want it to last 100k? How old are the tires? Off balance tires can cause all kinds of awful noise. Not familir with the civic clutch, so long as everything is aligned well, assembled correctly.

Blue
Clarky456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.