Hidden electrical draw - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hidden electrical draw

I have an 06 SI with no mods - stock radio. I bought the car a month ago and when it sits unused for 2-3 days the battery dies. When I drive it daily it is fine. The car has a new battery and my mechanic checked all the obvious solutions (battery, alternator, wiring).
He has found an electrical draw coming from the fuse compartment but he says he does not have the expertise to take it further suggesting I should take it to a dealer.
My questions:
- Has anyone had a similar issue and is there a DIY solution?
- I have an OBD reader, would that give me any info to go by?
- If I have to take it to a dealer what do you think should be their proper testing sequence? I do not want to be charged for non-necessary tests.
Any advise would be highly appreciated, I think I may be looking at a major expense here.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgos236 View Post
He has found an electrical draw coming from the fuse compartment
Which box ??

Which fuse # ??
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post
Which box ??

Which fuse # ??
I do not know, sorry.
giorgos236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stuck A/C relay?

Battery keeps dying and alternator is ok
pepperdanky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperdanky View Post
Thanks but I do not hear this loud spray mentioned in the post above. Are there any tests I can do to identify the right relay? Possibly take out one fuse at s time and measure the battery consumption? Any DYI advice would help, I do not want to pay a dealer for something I can do.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you have a multi meter. disconnect the negative battery cable. Connect the multi meter in series with the negative cable, set on amps. pull one fuse at a time until the amps drop. You can narrow it down to the circuit that way.
tycobb280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb280 View Post
if you have a multi meter. disconnect the negative battery cable. Connect the multi meter in series with the negative cable, set on amps. pull one fuse at a time until the amps drop. You can narrow it down to the circuit that way.
EDIT: Approximately what amperage should I be looking for for a small leak that take a few days to drain the battery?
Also, where do I find a guide for my fuse box (06 Civic SI)?
Thanks.

Last edited by giorgos236; 02-08-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you have no experience in using a DMM, just bring it to a dealer and make sure that no kid touches your car. Make sure its a journeyman that knows his electrical stuff.

The AC relay does not need to buzz in order to be deemed faulty. If it's stuck on, there will draw of 100+mA (max or 60 for honda). Your mechanic told you that he does not have enough experience to diagnose it and he's right because, not only experience, but also he probably does have access to the complete electrical schematic of your vehicle. Best bet is take it to the dealer that has access to it (obviously). Stop taking guesses. Fix it right the first time.

Last edited by pkscrs; 02-09-2016 at 02:25 AM.
pkscrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also, if you have an aftermarket remote starter, the remote starter command module can stay awake and cause draw of 60-100mA depending on the remote starter.

I can give you a full power distribution of every single fuse in there but that will take 10 months to do so don't waste your time and go the dealer. lol
pkscrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just pull a fuse at a time and replace it until you see a significant drop. Try to narrow it down that way. Don't do it right after driving because there are certain systems that take take a few minutes to go to their low power state. Also, if you have the door open and dome light on, when you pull that fuse the draw will drop. Just be aware of those kinds of things. I had a parasitic draw on one blazer I had that I narrowed down to an after market cd player pretty quick. If you have any after market ee1uipment, it could likely be the issue, not a guarantee though. Give it a try before getting charged a couple hundred dollars at a dealer.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Watch "How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/KF1gijj03_0
Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Does your car have hands free link? Those control units can pull a draw of ~ .250A when they're failing. Actually sometimes they will cause a draw and still operate. I see this on some Acuras. When you get an amprobe to measure draw, take your key out of the car, use a pry bar or long flathead screwdriver to push the hood latch into the closed position (keeping the hood raised), lock the car and arm the security, wait about 15 minutes and measure the amperage draw on the negative battery cable. If you have ~ .225-.250A, unplug the HFL unit and repeat the process.
330R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Forgot to say, normal would be ~ 0.042A or less.
330R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.