CLUNK: How to start or park car on incline ? - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

8THCIVIC SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationull
Got it, buddy. I'm a moron, and I'll have to work on that reading comprehension!
right on!
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

it shouldn't make a clunking noise if you set your side brake before
putting into P after the drive and brake the car hard before moving
the shifter from P to D (or R). give it 2-3 seconds before releasing
the brake and roll out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goixiz
My driveway is a slope and i am sure everymorning i feel bad starting the car and putting it in gear. Ther eis no way that i know of to avaoid the Loud klunk when moving my auitomatic shift from park to neutral ( i have to pass reverse) to back down the incline.

At the reverse position the tranny gets a thump/klunk. Im sure this is not good for it but i dont know what else to do. This is my wifes car. Idont have an issue with manual tranny.

are there alternatives to turn the car off or start it ?

Im not sure this alternative is any better (not tried yet)
When in car do not start, but insert key to slot above to shifter to move the shifter to Neutral and then start the car and let it roll down hill then only put it in gear
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

What you hear is the parking pawl dis-engaging. The parking pawl more or less "locks the transmission" when P or park is engaged. The weight of the car itself puts pressure on this pawl on an incline and what you hear (and feel ) when going out of park is the pawl binding. In spite of the noise and yanking on the shifter to get it out of park (on an incline) it isn't harmful. As many others have said the key to avoiding this when parking on an incline is to keep the weight of the car off the pawl. The emergency brake is used to prevent roll-back/roll forward and thus pressure. Doesn't matter how you actually do it: 1. engage parking brake in D (while stopped) and about to park...then place into park OR 2. keeping foot brake engaged place car in P ...pull on e brake then release foot brake. just keep the car from rolling back/forward against the pawl.
targettuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.