8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

A/c???

812 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BlurpleFG1 
#1 · (Edited)
I have to replace the A/C Compressor & Drier (not the expansion valve) on a '06 w/170k. It's working, but weak.
I think that the Alt., water pump pulley, & tensioner have to removed to get out the compressor...correct? I would like to replace the drier bag only. Is that easier or should I replace the unit? Do I have to remove the plastic above the radiator only to access it or do i have to remove the bumper? How much PAG 46 oil does just the Compressor take...I've read 3, 4 & 5 oz. I know to add 1/3 oz for the drier...

#2 ·
Whats wrong with the compressor? Just asking since you said the system is still working. Either way If you buy a new compressor it should be prefilled, just put back any oil that you recovered if any. Are you sure it doesn't just need a "sniff" of freon? I've changed a few hundred dryers at least, wasn't aware you could change the bag.

#5 ·
You can't ***** because you're not getting answers when you didn't bother filling out your profile OR at least being more specific in your OP!

You have an 06 what?

The receiver/dryer is different between coupes and sedans. Coupes can have the filter in the receiver changed, sedans get a new receiver.

Removal of the radiator cover and bumper cover is required. Gently clean the a/c condenser while you're in there.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply...it's a sedan...
Someone said that I can just tilt the bumper down (not sure what they meant) would that work?...for question 1 (for the compressor removal)...removing what i said, is that all? And for question 3 the amount of oil needed for just the compressor & drier...

#7 ·
Yes, you can tilt the bumper cover down - just keep in mind you'll be working over and around it. Tilting it down requires removing the radiator cover then removing 2 torx bolts holding the upper middle to the radiator support and 2 screws holding the bumper cover sides to the fenders. The cover slides into slots under the headlamps - be gentle pulling it out there's no need to yank on it.

I can't help with the a/c compressor removal/install as I've not had to do it ....yet.
This should help though: http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/10/SNB6E10G10110100000KBAT00_.html

I don't know how much oil is needed for the compressor (if any) but you're correct in regards to the receiver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.