Reliability : Automatic Transmission - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Reliability : Automatic Transmission

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 2007 Honda Civic but minor cheap interior quality aside, I have serious concerns about the long-term reliability of this car ( at the 100 k miles upwards range) especially with regards to the automatic transmission problems and the transmission requiring a replacement (expensive cost).

I"m also reading this forum and notice a lot of problems with the tranny though I note that most of them are coming from the US.

I was wondering if this is still a present issue or if Honda have done anything to address this. Note that I"m from Canada so hopefully they don't have these problems here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

8THCIVIC SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingabout
I"m also reading this forum and notice a lot of problems with the tranny though I note that most of them are coming from the US.

Thanks
my '02 civic was made in canada and the tranny took a shiznit at 70k miles (it was an auto), so don't be so sure canada makes better trannies than the US.

and IMO, honda's auto trannies are not exactly the best built, though their manual trannies are quite the contrary
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
You'll always have problems with moving mechanical parts that take a lot of wear and tear.

Some people are lucky, they don't have a problem. Others, seem to have lemons.

With a community of over 20,000 you'll find people with all sorts of problems, tranny, lights, interior, visors, paint, etc. etc. etc.

I had a 78 Firebird, not one tranny problem, My 95 blazer rocked until it hit over 200,000km, tranny went then the rear differential.

If you treat your vehicle right, proper maintainence, it will last for a while, no one can promise any vehicle will have no problems what so ever. (too many variables in making parts)

I've had my 06 Honda now for a little over a year, besides the arm rest coming off the rear right side a bit *fabric pulled*, so far *knock on wood* no major mechanical problems. I expect to do the brakes soon, and some other usual wear and tear fixes. Everything else is covered under warranty.
Cr8tive_leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8tive_leo
You'll always have problems with moving mechanical parts that take a lot of wear and tear.

Some people are lucky, they don't have a problem. Others, seem to have lemons.

With a community of over 20,000 you'll find people with all sorts of problems, tranny, lights, interior, visors, paint, etc. etc. etc.

Most people will not make a thread "I've got NO problems". So countless people don't have problems and those few that do make the noise and thats what you hear. But I too am leary of the tranny.

Check on the cost of Honda care extended warrenty. I got 6 year 120k bumper to bumper for 1000.00 USD.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I believe all auto trannys were build in Japan. Mine was. ex coupe 06.
Mateen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vadim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateen
I believe all auto trannys were build in Japan. Mine was. ex coupe 06.
Not so much. Most of them were built in 3rd world countries. Mine was built in Indonesia. It says so right on the window sticker.

As far as a 100K miles reliability, who the hell knows? Take it for a spin and in 100k you tell us.
xxhaimbondxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.