engine rattle above 5500 rpms - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

engine rattle above 5500 rpms

Hi.

I have a 2006 civic lx 5spd coupe. It has 1800 miles on it and I have recently hit the higher rpms. I notice a rattling/metallic clinking noise in the engine above 5500 rpms or so. It is there as long as the rpms stay in that range, accelerating or foot off gas, same noise. Any ideas? I never hear it below 5500 rpms. I am asking here, hoping it is common, maybe vtec kicking in? It sounds crappy whatever it is...... Going to a dealer is why I bough a honda in the first place, to avoid that....

thanks..

-Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tuna Fiddle

Dave
hmmm....it is around where v-tech kicks in but i've never heard of v-tech making any kind of noise like you are describing. Your best bet with a car this new would be to take it back to the dealer. I hate going to the dealer too, but i'd rather get my car fixed right, especially if it is still under warranty. Good luck and keep us up to date on what they find.
twistedframe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
STIG: a tamed race driver

Yeah, I would just head to the dealer. Let us know what it is, I'm curious.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks. i will probably schedule something next week....

i'll let you all know what they say.....
billz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedframe
hmmm....it is around where v-tech kicks in but i've never heard of v-tech making any kind of noise like you are describing. Your best bet with a car this new would be to take it back to the dealer. I hate going to the dealer too, but i'd rather get my car fixed right, especially if it is still under warranty. Good luck and keep us up to date on what they find.

v-tech kicks in? is v-tech some sort of turbo that it kicks in?
I think the engine is loud because the hood is missing the under hood insulation, coupes for some reason do not have the insulation material installed.
2006CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

My car does the same thing, ex, sedan, AT, non-navi, canadian, 6K miles. As the engine revs higher something metallic is rattling/winding up with the engine.

The 2001 ex I had did the same thing. I bought it used @ 53K miles and until I wrecked it at 75K miles the engine made the same rattling noise as the 2006. Considering it's two different engine blocks it makes me wonder if it's not a Honda quirk. The transmission jerk @ 6MPH that happens with the 2006 also happened in my 01. The 01 handled the problem different...the engine just hesitated instead of jerking like the 06 does.
g361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz
Hi.

I have a 2006 civic lx 5spd coupe. It has 1800 miles on it and I have recently hit the higher rpms. I notice a rattling/metallic clinking noise in the engine above 5500 rpms or so. It is there as long as the rpms stay in that range, accelerating or foot off gas, same noise. Any ideas? I never hear it below 5500 rpms. I am asking here, hoping it is common, maybe vtec kicking in? It sounds crappy whatever it is...... Going to a dealer is why I bough a honda in the first place, to avoid that....

thanks..

-Bill
Is it auto tranny? Mine is manual and doesn't make the rattling noise your speaking of.
Silver8th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006CIVIC
v-tech kicks in? is v-tech some sort of turbo that it kicks in?
LOL, not a turbo. Search button is your friend!
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

no, mine is the 5sp manual transmission.

it always makes the noise, you must have the windows up to hear it clearly. Once I hit between 5k-5500 rpm it shows up, and if i left off the gas, it's still there until you get under 5k rpm. maybe it's an exhaust rattle? due to vibration? the thing is, i bought this car 100 miles away from my home because there was not one closer and I did not want to order one, dealers tend to not deal with you if you do that in my opinion. if i take it to the dealer, i don't feel like driving that 100 miles each way, but there is a honda dealer 3 miles from my home, so i guess they will look at it. they can't deny warratny service right? i mean it is a honda, but they might hold it against me that i didn't buy from them.. delaer politics...

the thing is, my last car, a 2003 neon, had engine noises but only at idle and startup when cold, never under load. if honda can't/won't fix this, i guess i have that piece of info in my ammo bag: "what, a dodge neon doesn't sound this bad!"...

anyways, i will let you know what i find out...
if you all can go down the road for a spin, let the engine hit say 6k rpm and let me know if you have the rattle, that would be great...

btw, last mileage: 36mpg mixed highway/city....

i love going 250 miles on a half tank...

:-)

-Bill
Old 04-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz
if you all can go down the road for a spin, let the engine hit say 6k rpm and let me know if you have the rattle, that would be great...

-Bill
I have 14k miles on my car and haven't taken it to 5500 RPM....
I'm easy on my baby. I dont see how you can be getting 250 miles on half a tank dogging your car at 6k rpm.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

vtec stands for valve timing electronic control

Vtec usually kicks in a 5500rpms.

Don't know what vtec does? Just check the link below.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm
starboy869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
STIG: a tamed race driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy869
vtec stands for valve timing electronic control

Vtec usually kicks in a 5500rpms.

Don't know what vtec does? Just check the link below.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm

I'm very doubtful it comes on at 5500 RPMs. That was the point for older Bseries engines, my old GSR came on earlier than that (4800) and it revved all the way to 8200 RPMS. 7thgencivic kick in around 2500

The purpose of VTEC is not really for performance in the d and r series engine, and while I have not seen proof of when it does kick in, I'm very dubtful it is at 5500 RPM.

Also, from my understanding, VTEC can kick in at variable points depending the cams timing (i.e. i-VTEC) because different timing can have different optimal times to turn VTEC on, but agian I bet it is always on way before 5500 RPM.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Photobucket

Yeah winding out the R18 to 5500 RPM is not good! The highest I've ever shifted was 4500 RPM. Go ahead blow it up if you want.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

5500 rpm isn't all that hi for these engines, so i hear. my new civic churns at 3500+ rpms on the highway at 80, whereas my 2003 neon, churns at 3000 tops. I have revved that neon to 6250, it's redline numerous times, and drive it like i stole it since new, that's 80k miles ago and it still doesn't burn oil and it get almost as good gas mileage as the civic. i always heard that american goes can't take the higher revs and jap cars can. 5500 rpm is where power starts getting good in this civic, it's there, use it. i always use synthetic oil and change ever 3-5k miles too. time will tell but i expect this civic to last at least as long as the neon has, if it does not, i blame honda, not my driving..

oh btw, i had a 2000 hyundai accent that i treated the same way for 2 years until my ex totalled it, it was just like new, at 50k miles, i put 24+k per year on cars, well i did till i moved closer to work recently...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

I know what you mean about the metallic noise. On my Si, after 6K RPMS I a rattle noise. It sounds like something is lose in the engine, this may be normal.. It may be the vtec. All I know is it doesn't effect the speed, so it cant be anything engine related.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake
LOL, not a turbo. Search button is your friend!

I was being sarcastic, and I know it's not vtech LOL: it's iVTEC which is VTEC(Valve timing and lift control) + VTC(Variable overlap timing control)...

The game is all about oxygen to fuel ratios, for maximum output....

Last edited by 2006CIVIC; 04-05-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

My 06 EX 4dr is an auto. The RPM have gone past the 5500k mark a few times.
The B16a2 in my 2000 SiR gone up to 8000rpm a few hundred times.

I would only start to worry if the RPM goes into the red line.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before making a post. Please supply a document from HONDA saying anything pass 4500rpm will destory the engine.

I bet you $50 you can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8th
Yeah winding out the R18 to 5500 RPM is not good! The highest I've ever shifted was 4500 RPM. Go ahead blow it up if you want.
starboy869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I hit 7000 RPM every single day on my 06 very sexy civic coupe, and it is doing just fine. I do use full synthetic oil, and 92 Octane gas ....

My baby spins like a blender
Old 04-09-2006, 01:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

yes, 4500 rpms for a 4 banger is kinda low in my book.. all of my 4 cylinder cars, with manauls, have always taken up to 6000 rpms no problem. Sometimes, you gotta wind it out, due to getting out of the way of an out of control suv, or merely for the pleasure of it. my 2000 hyundai accent saw 5500+ rpms no problem and ran like a top till my ex totallled it at 47k miles. My 2003 neon is still churning at 80k miles, and it has seen the other side of 6000 rpms NUMEROUS, NUMEROUS times. Now i am a firm believer in changing the oil frequently and using synthetic mind you....

this honda civic will see some of the same, though as I get older, i do less an dless of the higher revs, but sometimes, it's fun to just smoke someone at a light.... do you think a 2006 civic lx 5spd manual can smoke a 2003 neon sxt 5ps manual? I think it does....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz View Post
Hi.

thanks..

-Bill
go to the dealer as soon as possible and don't reach 5500 rpm till you get it fixed
i had the same problem on my 07 Si sedan and now its ben at the dealer for the last month bc it needs a new engine

Embo3Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.