08 Civic Lx - 67K - Roller/Belt noise - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

08 Civic Lx - 67K - Roller/Belt noise

Hi Guys,

For last two months I am noticing a mild noise (bell kind of sound - not very intense)after starting in the morning and in the evening after parking for long hrs(after work) which only lasts for 2-3 minutes. i initially thought its because of the colder temp and will go away but its still there. I think its only when I shift it to drive no noise on Neutral (not sure at least i can't hear it).

I asked Mr.tire to check the pulleys and belt for any movements or issues and they said everything is fine and since its a mild noise which only lasts for 2-3 minutes theres nothing to worry immed and asked me to wait until it gets little constant / worse. Dealer and another napa mechanic also said the same.

I am little bit concerned about something break down/fail during driving. Any idea what would be the reason for the noise and why it happens only when i put it in drive and why only lasts for 2-3 mins. Do I need to fix anything immediately? I got a quote to change the roller tensioner and its around $300. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Josh
Bell noise? Sort of clanky? I had a mild noise that sounded like a light hum for a a few minutes and eventually did it all the time it turned out to be my top idler pulley, I'd install pulleys yourself as they only cost around $30 at the dealer and are fairley easy to change. Try taking your belt off and trying to spin your pulleys if they wiggle, are hard to spin, or make a sound replace it.

Last edited by RalleRSIvic; 08-03-2014 at 07:01 AM.
RalleRSIvic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Andrew
Like Ralle said it is more than likely one of your pulleys... your description sounds exactly like what they do when they start to go... they make a weird hum / ring / buzz / whistle / mix of all those type sound, and it goes away when the bearing gets some heat in it.

It is usually always the idler or tensioner pulley. If you pull the belt off you will be able to tell by spinning the pulleys. One won't feel right, it'll either make some or a lot of noise when you spin it, or it will feel rough. They should be silky smooth and dead quiet. If you spin a pulley and it makes a "hiss" type noise while spinning and keeps spinning for many seconds then it's bad. Good bearings are quiet, and even if they don't spin much at all when flicked with your finger the resistance given should be smoooooth.

The shops are right as the bearings do tend to give a long period of warning before they go... some can do this cold start noise for a long time before finally going onto the final phase of noise which is just a constant scratching / hissing type noise... when they get to that point they don't have very long to go.

If it's not a tensioner or idler it will be a bearing in something else like the water pump, alternator, or AC Compressor. If you want to tell exactly which one it is without removing the belt then hold a piece of hose to your ear and use it as a stethescope, I've done it and it works great..
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.