8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Check Engine Light on!

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  08WhiteCivic 
#1 ·
The check engine light on my 06 sedan LX just light up. I looked around the car, external and hood, didn't notice anything. I know about the loose fuel cap thing but the last filling I did was more than 3 days ago and I'm pretty sure I made the cap "click" a few times when closing it. So I don't think it'd be the problem of the fuel cap.

Anyone has engine light problem? let me know. Gona have to take to honda to check it up.

#6 ·
Not sure about Canada but here in the states there are several places that will read the code for you for free and tell you what the problem is (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) The only real way of knowing what the problem is is to have the codes read.

BTW, I'm assuming the new Civic is still OBDII-based and not the new CAN system. Either way the codes have to be read but many places might not have a CAN reader yet. If you feel like it you can also buy an OBDII reader for really cheap (<$100) from most parts stores and read the codes yourself. You can lookup the universal codes online (codes that start with P0) at this site:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

All codes starting with P1 are Honda-specific and will need to be explained by Honda.

If the CEL goes off by itself it signifies that the problem has not existed for the past several cycles (such as a gas cap that was loose being tightened) but more persistent problems will keep the light on.

#7 ·
OK I just went out and took a quick peek at my Civic. Anyone know where the interface plug is on this car? I looked in all of the usual places and didn't see it. I know it has to have one so anyone know? If it's in the manual I must've missed it when I skimmed through it.

#8 ·
medcina said:
Not sure about Canada but here in the states there are several places that will read the code for you for free and tell you what the problem is (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) The only real way of knowing what the problem is is to have the codes read.

BTW, I'm assuming the new Civic is still OBDII-based and not the new CAN system. Either way the codes have to be read but many places might not have a CAN reader yet. If you feel like it you can also buy an OBDII reader for really cheap (<$100) from most parts stores and read the codes yourself. You can lookup the universal codes online (codes that start with P0) at this site:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

All codes starting with P1 are Honda-specific and will need to be explained by Honda.

If the CEL goes off by itself it signifies that the problem has not existed for the past several cycles (such as a gas cap that was loose being tightened) but more persistent problems will keep the light on.

The P1's can be read Clicky HERE.

#9 ·
Leonardo629 said:
How many miles on the car?

I'd reset the ECU if the car has fairly low mileage, drive it for couple of days, and if the engine check light comes back......back to the dealer you go.

The the code will be gone, even if the light goes off the code can still be read. It is a good idea to find what the problems was. Personally I would just drive to Honda and ay I have a problem, they should be able to read the code and tell you what the problem is from there. Then if it is something simple, they can fix it on the spot, or maybe you need to come back for more extensive repairs.

#11 ·
Jrfish007 said:
The the code will be gone, even if the light goes off the code can still be read. It is a good idea to find what the problems was. Personally I would just drive to Honda and ay I have a problem, they should be able to read the code and tell you what the problem is from there. Then if it is something simple, they can fix it on the spot, or maybe you need to come back for more extensive repairs.
I'm not sure if it's true with Honda dealerships but many other dealerships will charge you for the scan and then deduct the fee if it's a warranty issue. For example, if your code comes up as a loose gas cap many dealerships will charge you the $80 or whatever outrageous price they charge for taking 2 minutes to hook up their OBDII scanner. This is why I suggested first going to a place that doesn't charge and then take it into Honda.

#13 ·
Ok I just went to a honda dealer express service. The workorder is in the car now, can't remember what the exact code is, but the description is "A/F Sensor". The service guy said it's just a glitch, they scanned it and nothing was wrong and the light didn't come back on after reset. Hope it won't come back.

medcina, I saw the service guy was reading the code from the driver's seat area, under the dash on the left side, sorta where the hood release is. Didn't look where exactly the plug was tho.

And yesh there's no charge for the checkup.

#14 ·
Very cool that there wasn't a charge.

I looked under there with a flash light but I must be blind. I'm going to take another peek. I want to hook up my OBDScan tool to do some diagnostics (just for fun) to see what registers but obviously the plug eluded me. :)

Thanks.

#15 ·
I've come to the conclusion that either:

A) My car doesn't have the plug (yeah right)
B) Honda uses a special plug that didn't attract my eye
C) Honda hides the plug REALLY well or has some sort of cloaking device that hides the plug when they don't want it found
D) I'm a completely blind moron
E) All of the above
F) None of the above

Anyone have a picture of this mysterious plug's location? I'm beginning to think it might be hidden behind one of the panels. I did remove the obvious panel (steering column cover in driver's foot well) and didn't see anything. Could it be behind the dead pedal? It seems to come off easily with a couple screws.

Somehow I see choice D as being the overwhelmingly favorite selection. :D

#17 ·
same thing with my EX

The exact same thing happened to me!

One morning the engine warning light came on as I was driving to work. Being a new car I took it to the dealer right away. They scanned it and said the same thing that your dealer had said. Kind of weird… There was no charge for the scan or the visit and they are replacing the sensor, which comes in next week.

I expressed I wasn’t happy that my 1005km old car already has a problem and that isn’t acceptable. They agreed and gave me my first 2 oil changes for free. So that was nice…

Funny thing is I live in Ottawa, Ontario so maybe the cold weather has something to do with it?

#19 ·
Update!

So the engine light went on again this past week while I was out of town. Went to a dealer to check it out, they reset it. Then I drove out and in 2 min it went on again. So the dealer basically said they'll order the part (oxygen sensor) to replace it. They couldn't find anything wrong in reality, other than the sensor just kept saying something is wrong.

Funny I had the same thing with my previous car, a Toyota,... I wonder if Honda and Toyota get the same bulk order of oxygen sensor or something?!

#20 ·
Hey I was just thinking about what you said...

The sensor is saying something is wrong, so the dealer just replaces the sensor. Kind of funny... but I hope the sensor is just bad. Sometimes I wonder if all these new electronics are worth their hassle.

Mine hasn't come on since they replaced it.

#21 ·
I JUST had this problem like 3 days ago... my car is an 08 lx only 2000 miles on it and the check engine light came on. So RIGHT away i took it to the dealership.... they said it was the 02 sensor, so they replaced it ....the next day about the same time, it went off again. so they said that it wasnt mearsured right and there was dirt or something on it. so they said they cleaned it and test drove my car and it was fine. (andd that was yesterday) As i was driving today, and out of no where the light came back on again... i didnt take it in again.. but when i do im going to demand 2 free oil changes as well! lol One of my buddies said that it happened to him and he just never brought it in again becuz it happens alot to ppl. The light finally burnt out he said) but i dont wanna drive around with that light on cuz then when there really is a problem i would not know. Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.