Safe to lube clutch pedal rod? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
VIP Member

Kevin
Safe to lube clutch pedal rod?

Hey all I have a slight clicking noise in my 2009 civic si and was reading to lube the spring and also the actual push rod that goes into the master cylinder.

I was wondering if I spray white lithium grease onto the rod. Would any grease creep its way and contaminate the clutch fluid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcc View Post
Hey all I have a slight clicking noise in my 2009 civic si and was reading to lube the spring and also the actual push rod that goes into the master cylinder.

I was wondering if I spray white lithium grease onto the rod. Would any grease creep its way and contaminate the clutch fluid?
Yep, perfectly fine to do so. Won't contaminate anything. I plan to do the same this weekend with lithium grease spray on my '08 EX.

See this thread, especially post #53:
06 Civic Si Popping Noise From Clutch
MardiGras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
VIP Member

Kevin
Yup thats where I got the suggestion from, was just making sure, since no one confirmed.

Thanks!
KevinMcC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmcc View Post
Yup thats where I got the suggestion from, was just making sure, since no one confirmed.
Definitely nothing to worry about, because the clutch fluid is contained in a closed hydraulic system that cannot be contaminated by merely lubricating the rod.

Basically, the clutch converts the mechanical (non-hydraulic) pressure applied by your foot (via the clutch pedal and the rod) into hydraulic pressure via the master & slave cylinders.
MardiGras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Justin
id be weary using white lithium based products. its known to eat away and wear down plastic and rubber bushings. my suggestion would be to use either silicone spray or an actual solid hi-temp grease. honda makes a special grease called urea grease for specific parts like clutch pivot. check it out, it worked great for me
06SIcable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SIcable View Post
id be weary using white lithium based products. its known to eat away and wear down plastic and rubber bushings. my suggestion would be to use either silicone spray or an actual solid hi-temp grease. honda makes a special grease called urea grease for specific parts like clutch pivot. check it out, it worked great for me

UREA Grease # 08798-9002
carpayments4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.