2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan Horn not working - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan Horn not working

Hello all,

I did some searches and saw that this usually occurs because of a blown fuse, bad relay, bad ground or bad horn. I checked the fuse for the horn in the engine compartment and it was ok. The brake lights are working. The relay clicks when I press the horn. I tried looking for the relay under the dash but I don't see any labels.

1) How do I find the horn relay?
2) I have read people have switched from a Civic horn to an Accord horn when their Civic horn died. Does the Accord horn plug into the 2008 Civic wiring harness? Which year and model Accord horn should I get?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

bump.
lordmoosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
VIP Member

1)Look in your manual.

2) http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/elect...y-39-pics.html

DIY: Accord Dual Horn Upgrade

Accord horn upgrade
NBPRudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take advantage and install the accord horn. The civic horn is Embarrassing.
SN95GTMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The non-Si models come with only one whimpy horn (Si's come with 2 whimpy horns). There are machined holes on both sides of bumper for ground bolt, meaning you can install a 2nd horn on the passenger side.

The Accord has dual (Hi/Lo) trumpet-style horns. My neighbor has a 2009 Acura TL, and I liked the sound of his horns, so I purchased the pair & installed on my EX. Although vehicle can accept ground bolt on passenger side, there is not a connector. Fortunately, the horns are only 1-pin connectors, which is 12V. So I tapped into the original horn and ran a wire across the bumper to the other side. One of the best mods I ever did -- idiot drivers really hear the horn instead of a high-pitch "meep meep".

Horns look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan Horn not working-horn1.png  
MardiGras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. I looked at the manual and I do not see any mention of relays in it:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../ACV0808OM.pdf

Do you know what page its on? I do see the two diagrams of the fuse boxes but no mention of relays and only one fuse marked Horn.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Horn relay circuit is embedded into the MICU. You'd have to replace the entire MICU. If relay is making a sound, then it is probably working.

Remove your bumper cover & check the horn. Just apply 12V to the horn terminal & ensure the ground bolt is on tight.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras View Post
Horn relay circuit is embedded into the MICU. You'd have to replace the entire MICU. If relay is making a sound, then it is probably working.

Remove your bumper cover & check the horn. Just apply 12V to the horn terminal & ensure the ground bolt is on tight.
P.S. -- The MICU is built into the under-dash fuse box, which costs approx $270 for the part alone. You cannot replace the individual relay.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras View Post

When you say apply 12V to the horn could I just connect the 12V + from the battery to the horn directly to see if it starts honking? I was thinking to just buy a new horn since they are like $15. Removing the bumper to test if it works then having to put the bumper back on to get a new horn or having to wait for a horn to come in and removing the bumper again does not seem like a lot of fun.

Last edited by lordmoosh; 01-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmoosh View Post
When you say apply 12V to the horn could I just connect the 12V + from the battery to the horn directly to see if it starts honking? I was thinking to just buy a new horn since they are like $15. Removing the bumper to test if it works then having to put the bumper back on to get a new horn or having to wait for a horn to come in and removing the bumper again does not seem like a lot of fun.
Yeah, just remove the connector to the horn then apply 12V directly from battery to the single terminal on the horn. Just be careful not to touch the 12V to any body ground, or you'll get a short somewhere. A better option is:

If you have help, you can just measure the voltage on the connector itself (disconnected from horn) when horn button is pressed. If it's 12V, then you know the horn is getting voltage and the horn is bad. If not 12V, then the problem is between the connector and the steering wheel horn activator.

I cannot remember if the horn connector can be reached from the bumper bottom air inlets without removing bumper cover. It's pouring down rain right now so I can't check at this moment.

Last edited by MardiGras; 01-30-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just want to report that I ended up pulling the front bumper and replacing the horn. The horn is working now. A few of the clips broke while removing the bumper but I bought replacements at the dealers for a few dollars.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Faizan
i have a 2011 si and there are two horns. one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. anyone know which one is the high and which is the low and what part numbers i need to get to replace them? or which year accord has two horns that i can just plug and play? im not looking to do any splicing or rewiring.
faizan.mumtaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.