Dealer changed Oil but not filter WTH.. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Dealer changed Oil but not filter WTH..

So I went to to the dealer to get my oil changed. They said I was early because it's at 30%. Well anyways I said I want to get it done. Took an hou rand they said they changed oil but not filter because it is not required and told me I'm good till end of year and filter will be changed in next oil change service.

Should I be concerned? If yes then what should I do?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
afd

Are they giving you free oil changes or something? Still, change the filter. That's weird
afd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

The MM has two different codes for oil changes one with filter one without.

Personally I change it pretty much every time.
jak.. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
afd

^^ interesting
afd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol weird
WMcGregs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I never heard of that
WMcGregs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Id be pissed if they did the oil change, and not change the oil filter in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Brian1; 01-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I researched and I found out Honda recommends filter change in every other oil change service.
mrg24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Most all modern cars don't need/ require oil filter changes every time. If you car is dirtying up a filter in one oil change then there is much larger issues at play.

I've got 70k on my 2007 civic and I've followed the MM down to zero% and every other oil change I used a good quality filters and what ever brand of synthetic is on sale.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

good to learn...

wow... this is a shock. who knew $tealers were not changing filter each service.
now i can understand if one changes oil frequently, but after 6000 miles with only 4 qts of oil in engine i believe i will continue filter change w/oil change.
jamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
Most all modern cars don't need/ require oil filter changes every time. If you car is dirtying up a filter in one oil change then there is much larger issues at play.

I've got 70k on my 2007 civic and I've followed the MM down to zero% and every other oil change I used a good quality filters and what ever brand of synthetic is on sale.
This is essentially what I do for my wife's car. Follow the MM and your R18 will last forever, IMO.

I find it interesting that so many members of an enthusiast forum find it shocking that a dealer would follow the MM, and perform PM exactly as Honda specifies.

Last edited by gathermewool; 01-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.
gathermewool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rich
Thats news to me. I will have to check it out. I change my filter every oil change since they are cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak.. View Post
The MM has two different codes for oil changes one with filter one without.

Personally I change it pretty much every time.
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Martin

I don't listen to that 15% b.s. I do my oil change every 3000 miles and I use mobile1 and oem filter. DO NOT let the dealer do that to you it's is bull ****. These cars can loose up to a qt of oil every 1000-1500 miles and they want you to go to 7500? Depending on driving styles. I have a buddy that works at Honda and talked to him about it because when I bought my car they told me about that system and I didn't like it from the start so I figured I'd confront him about it and he said the same thing I did, DO NOT let the dealership do that to you. Just my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Fa5love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Al Capone

IMO if you don't change the filter you might as well not change the oil. All the **** it collected is now in your fresh oil.
Cap-One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap-One View Post
IMO if you don't change the filter you might as well not change the oil. All the **** it collected is now in your fresh oil.
filter only blocks debris and larger particles of soot. If your filter is filtering correctly, it will keep all the crap it collected in the filter medium, not put it in the new oil. It will tinge the oil a darker color yes but that color is soot from combustion that the filter cannot filter as it is too fine a particle.
dem2757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
Quote:
This(though clean oil and dirty filter is better than dirty filter and dirty oil)

Wish I could find the thread, had bob the oil guy in it. Anyways, from what I got from it, the filter should always be changed because of exactly the bolded text above. Not to mention the filters tend not to filter as well after extended use. So not only are you leaving all the old contaminates in your oil, but your also not filtering it as well.

IMO its worth the piece of mind knowing my engine is as contaminate free as I can get it w/o flushing. less contaminates = less wear

Last edited by killswitch21; 01-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa5love View Post
I don't listen to that 15% b.s. I do my oil change every 3000 miles and I use mobile1 and oem filter. DO NOT let the dealer do that to you it's is bull ****. These cars can loose up to a qt of oil every 1000-1500 miles and they want you to go to 7500? Depending on driving styles. I have a buddy that works at Honda and talked to him about it because when I bought my car they told me about that system and I didn't like it from the start so I figured I'd confront him about it and he said the same thing I did, DO NOT let the dealership do that to you. Just my opinion.

I always find it interesting when people use anecdotes that include their buddies who work for the company, as if they carry any weight or know anything about the subject matter at all. Based on your post, you and your buddy are obviously making things up based on archaic oil tribology.

Three things:

1. It's Mobil 1

2. 3,000 mile intervals is ridiculous and antiquated, and you have nothing at all to show that the MM-indicated change interval is anything but conservative. You know who does? People who send out samples for analysis.

3. I don't care what kind of car you drive, the oil should be checked occasionally. Consuming oil is only an excuse for those who can't be bothered to maintain their vehicles properly, and a poor one at that.

Quote:
Anything held within the pleats of the old filter will remain in the pleats of the old filter. The used oil held in the used filter will hold a relatively small portion of the overall volume of oil after an oil change, and will mix with the new oil and its additives. The result will be a negligible affect on OCI, and negligible affect on engine wear. Why won't it affect wear? Well, because even the used oil won't be used up, and most likely has sufficient additive levels remaining to clean itself up, requiring no help from the new oil. The new oil simply has a higher reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch21 View Post
This(though clean oil and dirty filter is better than dirty filter and dirty oil)

Wish I could find the thread, had bob the oil guy in it. Anyways, from what I got from it, the filter should always be changed because of exactly the bolded text above. Not to mention the filters tend not to filter as well after extended use. So not only are you leaving all the old contaminates in your oil, but your also not filtering it as well.

IMO its worth the piece of mind knowing my engine is as contaminate free as I can get it w/o flushing. less contaminates = less wear
A filter that is within its capacity for holding particulates will become MORE efficient as it is used, meaning it will filter better over time, not worse.

It's fine to be driven by how you feel, and it's ok if you'd like to change your oil and filter every 3k miles for PEACE of mind, but, as I always argue, where do you draw the line? A good filter will filter well for two MM-driven OCI's. The used oil remaining in the filter is inconsequential. This is the 21st century, people - get with the times!

Last edited by gathermewool; 01-24-2013 at 02:19 AM.
gathermewool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gathermewool View Post
I always find it interesting when people use anecdotes that include their buddies who work for the company, as if they carry any weight or know anything about the subject matter at all. Based on your post, you and your buddy are obviously making things up based on archaic oil tribology.

Three things:

1. It's Mobil 1

2. 3,000 mile intervals is ridiculous and antiquated, and you have nothing at all to show that the MM-indicated change interval is anything but conservative. You know who does? People who send out samples for analysis.

3. I don't care what kind of car you drive, the oil should be checked occasionally. Consuming oil is only an excuse for those who can't be bothered to maintain their vehicles properly, and a poor one at that.

Anything held within the pleats of the old filter will remain in the pleats of the old filter. The used oil held in the used filter will hold a relatively small portion of the overall volume of oil after an oil change, and will mix with the new oil and its additives. The result will be a negligible affect on OCI, and negligible affect on engine wear. Why won't it affect wear? Well, because even the used oil won't be used up, and most likely has sufficient additive levels remaining to clean itself up, requiring no help from the new oil. The new oil simply has a higher reserve.

A filter that is within its capacity for holding particulates will become MORE efficient as it is used, meaning it will filter better over time, not worse.

It's fine to be driven by how you feel, and it's ok if you'd like to change your oil and filter every 3k miles for PEACE of mind, but, as I always argue, where do you draw the line? A good filter will filter well for two MM-driven OCI's. The used oil remaining in the filter is inconsequential. This is the 21st century, people - get with the times!
1. It's call auto correct.

2.3000 miles is not ridiculous.

3. He has been a auto tech for 7 years. So Im just playing it safe and don't want to trust that kind of system. But you can do what you want lol hope everything works out for you.

Fa5love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rich
I change my oil and filter when my MM gets to 15-20%
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by gathermewool View Post

Three things:

1. It's Mobil 1

I dont do 3k mile intervals.. Being as I get Good oil and filter everytime, I do about 6k-7k mile intervals.. Checking oil levels every 1-2k

I know 3k intervals is a thing of the past.. Hell alot of cars suggest 5k in the owners manual now..

Last edited by killswitch21; 01-24-2013 at 09:43 AM.
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.