For Those With Doors That Close VERY Easy... - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ian
For Those With Doors That Close VERY Easy...

Here is the fix:

Buy new door checks. The part numbers are the same from 2007-2011. Just order new ones, and replace the old ones. It completely fixes the issue of the doors closing too easy.

I just wanted to post this up, as there have been a number of different threads discussing this, but no answers regarding what would fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just worry how long they will last if no changes have been made to the parts.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rich
Do you need to remove the door panels to change them out?
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post
I just worry how long they will last if no changes have been made to the parts.
I have no idea. Still, the parts are cheap so even if you have to replace them every ___ miles, it shouldn't be too bad. I'd rather replace the door checks every 4 years instead of dealing with broken fingers because the door decided to close on them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitcheyRch View Post
Do you need to remove the door panels to change them out?
Yes. Remove the door panel, pull back the dust cover, and unbolt the current check. Remove it, put the new one in, bolt it in place, and put the door back together.

It's an easy fix. It just took me a couple hours cause I had never removed the door panel before, and wanted to be careful.
ijm5012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
VIP Member

Gary
Hmm, Very interesting... lol I bet my X would love me long time if I did this since the doors always closed on her.. Lol..
killswitch21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Andrew
I always clean mine off hoping to make them last longer.

I've seen the plastic on them get torn apart on some cars.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can someone who performed this provide pictures? It would be helpful.
ctscas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctscas View Post
Can someone who performed this provide pictures? It would be helpful.
I have my passenger door apart right now. I'll take pics here and post them up for you.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rich
Kind of what I figured and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijm5012 View Post
I have no idea. Still, the parts are cheap so even if you have to replace them every ___ miles, it shouldn't be too bad. I'd rather replace the door checks every 4 years instead of dealing with broken fingers because the door decided to close on them...

Yes. Remove the door panel, pull back the dust cover, and unbolt the current check. Remove it, put the new one in, bolt it in place, and put the door back together.

It's an easy fix. It just took me a couple hours cause I had never removed the door panel before, and wanted to be careful.
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

im not sure how this happened i guess i was on a slope but the door came swinging back and clocking me in the face. ive also slammed my leg because the door came flying back trying to close. i kinda feels like itll stay open but as soon as u let your guard down BAM! here comes the door. its almost like the mechanism that would hold the door open just gives out randomly might be just plain weak or worn out. imma have to try this.

Last edited by 08 civicSI; 01-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.
08 civicSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 civicSI View Post
im not sure how this happened i guess i was on a slope but the door came swinging back and clocking me in the face. ive also slammed my leg because the door came flying back trying to close. i kinda feels like itll stay open but as soon as u let your guard down BAM! here comes the door. its almost like the mechanism that would hold the door open just gives out randomly might be just plain weak or worn out. imma have to try this.
Yes, this will definitely fix that issue. It actually requires some effort to close the doors now that they have the new door checks on them.

Parts Used: Ratchet, 10mm socket, 12mm socket, 6 inch extension

OK, so I did my passenger side one tonight. It went MUCH quicker since I knew how the door panel came off, and to unhook everything, etc. I would say an hour, tops, from start to finish.

So here is a pic of the door panel off. You will peel back the dust cover starting at the top left corner, as much as you can. I then taped it out of the way, as whatever adhesive they use makes a damn mess if you get it on anything (I recommend wearing a pair of nitrile gloves when you do this for that reason alone).

One the dust cover is taped out of the way, you will undo the three bolts in the second picture. Take the old door check out, and put the new one in. NOTE: depending on how you receive the door check, you may have to get creative. the one on the driver side was in the "closed" position, and so I had to muscle it in to the first recess in order to install it.

After you have the new door check in place, I put the two bolts that are on the door in first, and then you will probably have to close the door a bit to get the check to a place where you can bolt the door check to the chassis. After you have these three bolts in (and they don't need to be 100% tight), go ahead and open the door fully, and you can tighten down the bolts the rest of the way.

Then, just put the dust cover back in place, put the door panel back on, and button it up. Waalaa, no more door closing on your face/fingers/legs.

I will say that the trickiest part is getting the lock mechanism cables off/on. Just pay attention to how they come off, and you'll be good to go putting them back on. This was the biggest time consumer when I did the driver side door, but since I knew what to do the passenger side was a breeze.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

how much $$$ my drivers door is shot
X_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Civic View Post
how much $$$ my drivers door is shot
They're like, $12.50 or so from Autofair Honda. But unless you are going to buy other things as well, the shipping makes it pointless.

If all you need is the door check, you're better off going to your local Honda garage (I suggest calling to order it, as they will likely not have this in stock).
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jay
So glad I found this. I open my door, reach over to the passenger seat to pick up my work jacket and by the time I turn around to get out of the car the door is already about to smash me in the face. Definitely putting this on my to-do list! Thanks!
Jayman2143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman2143 View Post
So glad I found this. I open my door, reach over to the passenger seat to pick up my work jacket and by the time I turn around to get out of the car the door is already about to smash me in the face. Definitely putting this on my to-do list! Thanks!
Yep, not a problem! I know that this is a common issue, and there was never a clear answer.

I can guarantee you that this will fix that issue. It's a cheap and easy fix!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

I checked out a 9th gen sedan yesterday.... I think the checkers are now metal. And hold very well at the notches (but then again it is brand new)
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post
I checked out a 9th gen sedan yesterday.... I think the checkers are now metal. And hold very well at the notches (but then again it is brand new)
The door checks on 8th gens are metal as well.

And my new door checks hold very well at the notches too. It's just because they are new is all.

Like I said earlier, even if I have to do this every 4 years it would still be worth the $25 in parts and the couple of hours of work involved.

Bottom line, new door checks will fix this issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anyone know if the door checks should be lubricated w/ lithium grease (or other appropriate grease), or will lubricating defeat their purpose?
MardiGras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ian
The checks come pre-greased from the factory. I would only grease them if you notice a LOT of resistance (like the door is difficult to close).

And yes, white lithium grease would be a good grease to use if they ever need greased.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
VIP Member

Ed
I changed mine a couple of days ago. WOW, door opens/closes like a new car! When you open it, the door actually stays open!! Something I've forgotten all together. Anyway, cheap, easy to do. But yeah, I wonder how long this will last. As the OP states, it's so inexpensive, who cares.
EdNaviEx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.