Rumble / Shake ? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rumbling / Shaking when shifting...

I'm driving a 2008 Honda Civic with a manual transmission, up to this point I had no problems at all. Now however, I started to notice that when accelerating from a standstill in first gear, it starts out smoothly but then the car shakes/rumbles just before its fully into gear. I even feel it sometimes when shifting into second.

Again, I've had no problems up to this point so I know I'm not shifting incorrectly. Does anybody know what would cause this to happen? I only bought the car about for five months ago and I'm worried that there's something seriously wrong with the transmission or clutch, because I know how expensive that can be to fix. The car has about 101,000 km in it right now.

Last edited by iKevin; 12-01-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does this happen only on cold days? My car used to jerk in the mornings when it was cold. I ended up buying a SRI and the problem disappeared. Check your air filter and clean out the MAF sensor. That could help
ripply is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripply View Post
Does this happen only on cold days? My car used to jerk in the mornings when it was cold. I ended up buying a SRI and the problem disappeared. Check your air filter and clean out the MAF sensor. That could help
Well it only started happening on Monday or so, and yeah it's been a little cold out but it's been fluctuating between 10 and -3 degrees C since then, and no matter what the temp has been since then, it's been happening. Even if I've been driving it for a while (enough to warm the car up nicely) it changes nothing.

I'll change the air filter, but what's an MAF sensor and how do I clean it?
iKevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anybody else have any other thoughts about what is wrong with my car?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Andrew
it's only shaking when slipping the clutch?

Sounds like clutch chatter to me.

Here's an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWe9P7z598

Notice how the car shakes when the clutch is slipping.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo9 View Post
it's only shaking when slipping the clutch?

Sounds like clutch chatter to me.

Here's an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWe9P7z598

Notice how the car shakes when the clutch is slipping.
Hmm. That's a good guess but I don't think that's what it is. If it is though, my situation isn't anywhere near as severe as that video; for me it's very quick at the end of the shift just before its fully engaged into the gear, kinda like 5 or 6 rumbles/shakes in rapid succession, followed by it being fully in gear.

I'll attempt to record a video of it happening from inside the car later today or tomorrow, but how accurately it will show the problem, I don't know.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here's a video of it happening.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here's a video of it happening.

Rumble when shifting 2008 Civic - YouTube
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Andrew
Thanks for the video

It still looks like clutch chatter, it's just not nearly as bad as that video I linked too, I just tried to find an obvious example.

Only other possibility I see would be a broken motor mount. When the clutch is fully engaged if you step on the gas all the way does the car clunk or bang, or just accelerate?

do you normally take off like that? There's a lot of slippage in that video. You should slip the clutch less to prolong it's life... unless you where just making the symptoms show.

Last edited by volvo9; 12-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo9 View Post
Thanks for the video

It still looks like clutch chatter, it's just not nearly as bad as that video I linked too, I just tried to find an obvious example.

Only other possibility I see would be a broken motor mount. When the clutch is fully engaged if you step on the gas all the way does the car clunk or bang, or just accelerate?

do you normally take off like that? There's a lot of slippage in that video. You should slip the clutch less to prolong it's life... unless you where just making the symptoms show.
With the clutch fully Engadged and pressing on the gas it seems to accelerate just fine with no noticeable issues.

Regarding the video, yeah I did it like that to make it a tad more noticeable, but you can be sure that it still happens just as bad as the video no matter how I do it.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Andrew
I'll give my diagnosis then.

I'd say your clutch is showing signs of age.

If you drive it gently it could last for many thousand miles more, beat on it in any way and you can kill it fast, so keep slippage to a minimum.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had similar problems as you do. Then my clutch pedal started clicking when you press it. I brought it to Hondas attention and they simply lubed up the pedal pivot. It seemed to fix the clicking but not the rough clutch engagement. Few months later the clicking came back and I found a tsb for the clutch master cylinder. Honda replaced the clutch master cylinder and the click is gone as well as the harsh engagement. My old cmc failed slowly and I got used to it but once I had a new one it drives and engages like a dream!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
evandonald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandonald View Post
I had similar problems as you do. Then my clutch pedal started clicking when you press it. I brought it to Hondas attention and they simply lubed up the pedal pivot. It seemed to fix the clicking but not the rough clutch engagement. Few months later the clicking came back and I found a tsb for the clutch master cylinder. Honda replaced the clutch master cylinder and the click is gone as well as the harsh engagement. My old cmc failed slowly and I got used to it but once I had a new one it drives and engages like a dream!

Dude you just blew my mind! I'm having the same issue with the clicking of the clutch pedal so I think I'm in the same situation you were.

I've got to ask, since you took at the Honda, how much did they charge you for the repair? Or were you still under warranty?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

So I took the car over to my mechanic and they couldn't see why the car would rumble at the end of the first year. They told me I would have to take it to Honda and hope that they can figure it out. I even mentioned to them that it could be the clutch master cylinder as described by one of the other posters, but I guess it didn't do any good.

Now since my clutch pedal is also making the noise that the previous poster described, I asked them to look at that too and all they could do was lubed it up and say that they could not figure out why it was making that noise. I don't really know what that says about my mechanic but I guess I will just have to take it to Honda and see what they say. This is becoming a pain in the ass.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was under an extended warranty when I had it replaced. There is a Tsb out for it and I will have a look tomorrow. If I find it I will post it. It will give you a better chance in scoring a free repair or see what Honda will do for you. Best of luck!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I was under an extended warranty when I had it replaced. There is a Tsb out for it and I will have a look tomorrow. If I find it I will post it. It will give you a better chance in scoring a free repair or see what Honda will do for you. Best of luck!

Might be a dumb question but what is a tsb?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

It is a technical service bulletin. It's usually out out for things that seem to be common between vehicles of the same make and model. If the clutch master cylinders are common to make a popping noise and need replacement say for example on 2006-2009 Honda civics then Honda puts out a tsb. It's kind of like a recall but it's not safety related.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
It is a technical service bulletin. It's usually out out for things that seem to be common between vehicles of the same make and model. If the clutch master cylinders are common to make a popping noise and need replacement say for example on 2006-2009 Honda civics then Honda puts out a tsb. It's kind of like a recall but it's not safety related.

Ohh I get it. Yeah I'm gonna just bring it to Honda next week or something and see what they say. I just hope it's covered because I know it's not gonna be cheap to get something fixed out of warranty!

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.