Brake issues maybe rotor or caliper. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brake issues maybe rotor or caliper.

So my car makes a kinda knocking noise as a drive it and when I brake it makes an even louder noise.
My brake pedal kinda pulsates but kinda doesn't and there's a part of my rotor which is rusty from where the brake doesn't grab on.
So after all that I changed my brakes and it stopped making all those noises and it drove like a champ but 3 days later, all those noises started again.
So when the tire spins it's almost as if the brake pad either tightens up on the rotor more and what's why it makes the knocking noise but the rotor is rusty which means its not getting grabbed by the brake pad.
Do you guys have any idea what it could be? If you guys need more info or anything let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

rust is normal. when you say changed brakes what do u mean by that as there are many different components to "brakes."
07taffyfa5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Andrew
You probably have 2 issues here, one making the other "visisble".

You have a warped rotor, or a sticking caliper. A sticking caliper will cause pad material to be transfered onto the rotor in random spots as it heats up excessively and will shudder and shake as you drive down the road, or as you put the brakes on, as the pads pass by areas of slick and grippy rotor. Badly warped or unevenly worn rotors can also cause this feeling with perfectly fine calipers. In this situation you only get the feeling with your foot on the brakes.

Stuck caliper test:
Drive your car for a bit and go gentle on the brakes, try not to use them much. When you get out put your hand near the left front rotor? is it hot? hot as hell? compare it to the other wheel, same? cooler? Hotter? If one wheel is much hotter than the other, the hot wheel has a stuck caliper.

Feel the rears, they will naturally be cooler than the fronts, but should not have much of a difference in heat between the left and right sides.

Onto the knocking... It could just be because the brakes are shaking the car so much, but it could easily be a worn ball joint or suspension component moving around with all the shaking from the brakes.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I replaced the brake pads and the problem went away for about 3 days.
The knocking only happens when I brake but not always, it does it randomly but only when I brake.
If I jacked the car up and spin the wheel I will get a mini replica of what happens when i drive.
Its like if the brake pad or rotor is uneven but the brake pad is wearing evenly.

I'll check to see if the wheel is hot or not and get back to you guys shortly.
Thanks so much.
effa5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Stephen
I can almost guarantee the caliper is sticking. I had a similar problem with my rear caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Ivtecdou? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

well by randomly do you mean when you apply the brakes harder?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I checked the heat of the wheel/rotor after a 7-12 minute drive and they were about the same. I'll check again later, maybe I just couldn't tell the first time.

So every time I apply the brakes there is a certain section of the rotor where the noise happens, it's the rusty section where the brake pad doesn't grab on.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow when it's daylight.

Whether I apply the brakes hard or soft sometimes it won't happen. It's happening almost every time I brake now tho.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

the perimeter of the rotor is going to be rusty. but if you mean there is rust on the friction surface where the pad is supposed to go that means its EXTREMELY warped. that would be something i have NEVER seen before.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Forrest
+5 on the caliper.
humboldt1498 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

The rust is most definitely on the friction surface.
Not on all but on a part of the rotor.
And If the rotor was warped would it have stopped for 3 days like it did when I changed the brake pads?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Stephen
Just get a new rotor and caliper. If your worried about money, double check the pads to make sure they're seated correctly and push the piston back in with the bleeder valve open. (Supposedly can damage the abs unit if you do this with the bleeder valve closed). See what happens after a day or two. More than likely your caliper is seized and the rotor warped at some point because it got too hot from the seized caliper. I'm guessing when you changed your brake pads it somewhat corrected itself. Kinda hard to guess without seeing, feeling or hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Ivtecdou? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

I checked today since I have some day light and it appears that now the rotor has 2 deep scratches on it.
Wtf is going on?
Btw it's the rear passenger wheel with the problems.
Also Will check the wheel bearing today because my tire is wearing out uneven.

Last edited by effa5; 11-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Andrew
So you only changed the pads?

Sounds like you need new rotors big time then.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

yes get rotors and new pads up front. and look at the rear...use common sense. the rotors are supposed to be smooth and shiny on the friction surface if theyre not replace them. typically i get 5+ years out of rear brake pads on the dc integra.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

deffinitly try to resurface you r front erotors there probably warped.. also i would make sure the slides on the caliper braket arent frozen and re grease those up aswell
Mrktwenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

oscar
Try this resurface rotors or replace ..get a brake flush ...check that your caliper pins are nice nd greased up nd that theres no seals leaking from the piston...and make sure that the piston can go back in the bore if it cant no matter how hard u push then your calipers defected..but with the symtomps your having alot of times its due to caliper pins not being greased up well...because ur pins allow the caliper to move back and forth... when the piston applies pressure to the pads which applies pressure to the rotor..and when u let off they move back

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
jdm_23_si is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

dont ever resurface....just get the cheap ass autozone rotors for 25 bucks each...they come with a 2 year warranty. so if the **** up u take em back and get a new set for free.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok guys here's what I got.
I jacked the car up and wobbled the tire. No wobble so my ball bearing are good.
Now I took the tire of and spin the rotor. E brake is off and car is in gear.
The rotor is hard to spin where the scratches are.
AND when I spin the rotor, the section where it's scratched THE BRAKES ACTUALLY SEEM TO ENGAGE.
the rotor is lose and freely moving untill I get to that part. At that point the brake pads touch the rotor and make it difficult to move it.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

oscar
Just get new rotors plain nd simple nd see what happends ... check if theres tie rod play too since u gonna have the front raised up alot of times tie rod play can cause a knock or squeal nose or vibration while braking (if there is play)... ..another thing when you get the new rotors make sure you sand down the pads for a good clean surface nd spray the rotor to take that special adhesive on there to prevent rust

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
jdm_23_si is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

i mean holy crap how many times do you have to be told to get new f'ing rotors. this crap is not rocket science. the reason its hard to turn when u get to that spot is because it is warped. the caliper does not know if the rotor is spinning or not it only knows when its told to apply force. ::FACEPALM::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.