Loud vibrating when cold - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Josh
Loud vibrating when cold

So, since the temps have dropped where I live, I've noticed a very prominent noise when the car is cold.

- It sounds and feels like a VERY loud vibrating noise.
- It only happens when the car is cold. After it warms up, it's gone.
- The sound/vibration is very deep in pitch.
- The sound is only present when in reverse. As soon as the clutch starts to engage in, the vibration and noise starts, even if I'm not moving. When the clutch is not engaged, there is no noise.
- When shifting from 1st into lower gears while traveling forward, it is very rough.
- Whenever I hit a bump, I get a loud thud that sounds more like it's coming from the right/front side of the car.
- When if I cruise down the road, release the clutch, an slowly start to re-engage the clutch, the vibrating and noise happens, though not as loud.

Again, all of these symptoms only happen when both the car and outside temps are cold!

We had one warm day earlier this week and none of these symptoms occurred at all.

At first I was thinking that maybe it's the clutch going bad. But if that were the case, I would think it would happen regardless of outside temps and regardless of whether the car was cold or not.

I'm lost. I'm hoping it's not the clutch because I don't have the money to replace it. I already had two quotes, jut in case. One was $800 and the other was $1125, both of which I think are ridiculous.

What else could it be? And why would it only happen when both the car and outside temps are cold (30-40 degrees Fahrenheit). If the outside temp is warm, nothing happens. If the outside temp is cold but the car is warm, nothing happens. But if its cold outside and the car is cold, it sounds horrible!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Josh
Btw my car is completely stock.

LXCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

The sound you are describing is normal. Our motors sound like diesels when it is cold out. My car does it and my wifes crv did the same thing.
Dyno-FA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Josh
No. This is not normal. I've had this car for two years and it's never done this. This is a completely abnormal sound and vibration.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds pretty normal. All cars do this on cold start up.

The only thing I can figure is that your hydraulic engine mount is going bad.
testify is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Whenever it's cold I think I have the same thing but not as often as it seems to happen to you. When I release the clutch slowly in first or reverse it sounds like a metal on metal slight vibration. Sometimes louder than others. But once the pedal is out it stops. It only happens when letting out the clutch in first and reverse. Happened last winter too and stopped when it got warmer out and just started coming back recently. I don't know what it is either.
BFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Josh
I was reading somewhere else that it may be a bad motor mount. I'm gonna try and get it in the shop within the coming week.

My sound isn't really so much metal on metal. I'm not really sure how to describe it.

I'm also gonna see if I can get it on recording tomorrow morning. I also will have a friend engage the clutch when cold, with the hood open, to check visual engine vibration.

It'll be tomorrow before I'll be able to report on anything.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cold fluid in the mount = vibration

Once the fluid warms up = no vibration

Again, this sounds fairly normal.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by testify View Post
Cold fluid in the mount = vibration

Once the fluid warms up = no vibration

Again, this sounds fairly normal.
Then why didn't it do it last winter?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXCoupeGuy View Post
Then why didn't it do it last winter?

I don't know about St. Louis, but here in New England there was no such thing as last winter. It barely dipped below 50 degrees.

Also, it may have done it last winter and you just didn't notice. Let me ask you, do you see anything wet around any of the mounts?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Josh
http://repairpal.com/low-rumbling-so...ine-mounts-598

Found this. Everyone is saying exactly what I've been saying. I am narrowing it down to a blown mount.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Josh
Sorry testify. I would have noticed this. This is something that is VERY loud. It's not just a subtle noise.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

i dont know if this is the same thing youre referring to but many people complain of metal on metal "knocking" when temps get cold. many have attributed it to the hydraulic timing chain tensioner not getting pressure fast enough when it is cold or a stretched chain/worn guides. only when its cold though and goes away in under 20 seconds to 40 seconds.
07taffyfa5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

its the passenger side motor mount going bad.
aznsyco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

I had similar symptons....the temperature dropped where I lived. When I would start the car it sounded like a harley until it warmed up and then would go away. I would hear this rumbling/vibration in P, R, and D. You say the sound is coming from the front right side...sounds like a bad motor mount. That was my problem and when I took it to get it fixed the problem when away. It was fixed under the 5 year power train warranty. The 8th gen civics have this problem often.

Praveen Kumar Sinha +: Honda Civic engine vibration fix
c03rcion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by c03rcion View Post
I had similar symptons....the temperature dropped where I lived. When I would start the car it sounded like a harley until it warmed up and then would go away. I would hear this rumbling/vibration in P, R, and D. You say the sound is coming from the front right side...sounds like a bad motor mount. That was my problem and when I took it to get it fixed the problem when away. It was fixed under the 5 year power train warranty. The 8th gen civics have this problem often.

Praveen Kumar Sinha +: Honda Civic engine vibration fix
I thought it was a 60k mile warranty.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Luis
I am actually having the exact same problem. I have all those symptoms lol
LTFA182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Josh
I took it to the shop this morning and had them take a look at it. All of the mounts are in good condition, with exception to one which has a little more play than it should. But they don't think it's enough to really be the cause of the symptoms.

Regardless, just in case, I'm going to have the mount replaced anyway in about a week (can't really afford it right now). I'll keep posting as I find out more. If it stops with the mount replacement, then great. If not, it looks like replacing the clutch will be next.

By the way, I'm at 78K miles. I've been driving sticks for a while so I don't understand why I would have to replace the clutch so soon when all of my other MT vehicles' clutches lasted between 150-200k miles.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Christen
I am having the EXACT same issue in my 2008 EXL Coupe Auto with 76k miles. The noise is HORRIBLE. It is only getting worse by the day. I took it to a mechanic this past week and they had no clue.

How much is this motor mount? Sigh. I am ready to trade the damn thing in, I am so upset! UGH.
Drumminchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

if you suspect its your mount grab your buddy if you have one and borrow the mount off his car to see if yours is the problem before you go blowing money on something without 100% diagnosis.

Last edited by 07taffyfa5; 11-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
07taffyfa5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.