Front left side suspension squeaking when car is cold - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

KB (22)
Front left side suspension squeaking when car is cold

2008 fa5 60k miles

When the car sits overnight (I live in Michigan) the frot driverside suspension squeaks or about 20 minutes until the car is "warmed up" I.e. not the engine part of the car but the suspension starts working hard after a few bumps.

Anyone else have this problem/ a possible solution?

Car is totally stock, I did the bounce test on the suspension and it feels fine and looks good, haven't gotten under the car yet because of the time of year it is...I'm thinking maybeee a bushing on the top of the strut could be wearing down...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIP Member

David
Mine does the same. Slight squeak. It could either be the suspension or the body of the car flexing.

I'm on eibach prokits
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1636 View Post
Lmfao I know... I could have got them but got retros lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeSi View Post
At least you will be able to see what you slamming into at night.
Rockawearbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the same issue, same side to. My friend also had it. He went under warranty to Honda and they replaced his whole suspension on that side. Now from what i have read, could be wrong though, is that the top of the strut has ball bearings there that wear and cause the squeeking....im not 100% sure on this and am still looking for a 100% answer

You can also see what these guys did, page 4 seems to have some info on this problem

Front Suspension Squeaking noise

Last edited by BigM; 02-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rich
Every Honda I have owned does this.
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

KB (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitcheyRch View Post
Every Honda I have owned does this.
Within m immediate family we have 6 Hondas and know one has ever had that issue...maybe I should call Honda. I'm not paying for them to fix it though I better call American Honda bleh
KB08SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Joe Marotta
I'm on stock suspension, and my car has been doing this since it was brand spankin' new. It just sounds like dry rubber being worked around. Like you said, it goes away after a little bit of driving. Same with mine, and I don't worry about it anymore.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
turbojoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Honda started doing that at around 45,000 miles and it it more noticeable when it is cold out. I had the entire front suspension check out and everything is ok. I just learned to live with it. You cannot hear anything at all in the summertime when it is warm out. It is only when it is very cold that you really notice it. I wouldnt do anything with the car if the steering and suspension appears tight and it drives nicely.
joeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the same issue in the cold. Just been ignoring it.
doji_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine has done this every winter since I installed hfp suspension, when it gets above 5c it will not do it anymore. Drives me crazy, I have no idea what the squeak is about
Aguila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I'm on stock suspension, and my car has been doing this since it was brand spankin' new. It just sounds like dry rubber being worked around. Like you said, it goes away after a little bit of driving. Same with mine, and I don't worry about it anymore.

Your shock are done most likelly leaking

I had the same problem with my 2010 FG2

I brought it to the dealership and told them that my front suspension is squeaking.
Both shocks were replaced and the squeaking sounds gone and also better stiffer suspension.I could feel the difference when I left the dealership.

GET IT FIXED
dregsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Buddy Fendt
I had a noise when turning at low speeds or just moving the steering wheel side to side. Sounded like a loose tie rod or ball joint. Popping type noise. Loosen and tighten the steering rack bolts. There is 4 of them. Honda wants you to retorque them but 2 of the bolts are pretty much impossible to get too with a torque wrench. Just something else to check. I have a 2008 si coupe
Fat_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

this might help u.This is what I use at work to re-torque the front strut upper nuts on Rondos
dregsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

JT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB08SI View Post
2008 fa5 60k miles

When the car sits overnight (I live in Michigan) the frot driverside suspension squeaks or about 20 minutes until the car is "warmed up" I.e. not the engine part of the car but the suspension starts working hard after a few bumps.

Anyone else have this problem/ a possible solution?

Car is totally stock, I did the bounce test on the suspension and it feels fine and looks good, haven't gotten under the car yet because of the time of year it is...I'm thinking maybeee a bushing on the top of the strut could be wearing down...?
I have an08 fg2 and mine did that on the right front when it's cold, warranty put a strut mount on and haven't heard it since
Nevtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

JT
And I'm on stock suspension with 34k
Nevtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

i've had this also when its cold. The car handles same but it sounds terrible when going slow over small bumps.
Asked around and read a lot of threads, ppl saying that it hapens even on a new civics, so i guess its a honda thing, not aftermarket suspension problem.
i was told that it has to do something with a rubber part on top of the struts.
It has nothing to do with the struts or springs.I know a lot of ppl tried to grese it or put silicon spray on it, but i think we just need a new one. Its a cheap part with a lot of work.
StefanSiRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

B
The oem top hats. They are pieces if ****. I've replaced mine 3x. Goes away then comes back.

BLouIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.