after header intsall im getting a weird sound. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

after header intsall im getting a weird sound.

i just installed my obx header on my si. i have an cold air intake, obx header straight back to the muffler. no resonator or cat. im getting a weird noise at 3000+ rpms. i don't know if my intake is whistling really hard since theirs less restriction of the exhaust or i just have an exhaust leak. it almost sounds like a turbo is spooling up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pete
if ur talking bout wat i think u r then its normal..its the air going thru the pipes and its making that noise cause u have no cat...its sounds like...zzzzzzzzzz?....
petethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

lol yea exactly.
civicsikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an 09 si I got some tsudo headers for free so I installed as first mod wid stock exhaust and am also getting a weird noise only on accleration similar to civicsikids complaint so its a normal thing ??
09sisedanpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
VIP Member

All headers make a hissing sound. It's because the walls are thinner on the tubes so you actually hear it.
chatttownstunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's a pretty loud raspy hissing sound that's very noticeable when I accelerate is it I'm gunna have to get used to or is thier a fix or is that I need a full exhaust system ?
09sisedanpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

i hear the same sound on mine but everything is stock i guess its normal
JohnFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dan
For the guys saying it's normal, it may not be. It's very very very hard to tell what the problem is by just a description. When you get a chance get your car up on jack stands and start the car cold and feel for any leaks.

Last edited by blknytro; 02-26-2012 at 09:15 AM.
blknytro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

if its loud and raspy its deff a leak lol. my **** sounds in between a turbo and supercharger lol
civicsikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
1* Man

Scubaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Have someone record you as you drive by while making the sound. Do you have a tbs? that sometimes also makes a whistling sound. If it's more of like a raspy woosh kinda sound, its normal. It depends on your header/cat back setup. Sometimes it will sound like that, depending on the quality of your parts and the size.

if you have an exhaust leak, you will most likely feel it in peformance, you will probably lose tq as it messes up fueling and backpressure.

Last edited by Steve42790; 02-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Steve42790 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Christopher Calderin
The sound is called rice burning. LOL dont worry about that it happens to all us civic guys. Our cars only really sound nice once there opened up.
letsrunit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Kelly A.
are you tuning the car to the changes you have made? i had the same sound at first . then reflashed with my flash pro using a map from the software that had simular mods . sound gone . and sounds better and feels better. get FLASHPRO if you want you car to come alive.
ismashface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Kelly A.
and check your header where it bolts up and look for black carbon at the bolt together . if you see black thats probly your leak .
will have to drive it about a tan of gas to see the black carbon .
ismashface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

i recently bought and installed a tsudo 4-2-1 header with high flow cat and noticed a metallic rattle noise. at first i thought maybe exhaust leak,no. then maybe engine harmonics resonating through pipes so i wrapped the header with header wrap and treated it with 1500 deg high temp silicon spray. now its ugly as hell and the rattle is still there. almost to the point of ripping it off and using it for an anchor for my conoe i tried putting iton the lift at work while my buddy slowly increased the rpm, BAM! horrible rattle coming from the flex pipe. cutting it off next week and welding in a new one of higher quality. let you know how it goes.
DarthCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Alright folks, here it is. Tsudo header with high flow cat rattle noise FIXED! In my last post i said i was going to replace the flex pipe so i did and the rattle is completely gone. i am now very happy and relieved i found the fix. I bought a flex pipe from summit racing. the dimensions you need is 4 inches length by 2.5 inches i.d. ( internal diameter ). the part was a little expensive but well worth it. you will need to weld it in for best results. Part number VPE-60804. Price 38.60.
DarthCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

after header intsall im getting a weird sound.

Im getting the "zzzz" noise aswell but im pretty sure its the same as other people have said with the thin piping. I dont have a flex pipe, nor exhaust leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just bought a used strup header for $150. I put a flashlight up the the flexpipe and can see the light in the header. I guess I should have a new flex pipe welded on before my install
cjk95delsolsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Jeff
I have the same kind of noise problem, i know its not the header hisssss, i will find out tomorrow when i put it back on the lift, hoping it just something touching a heat shield or something easy to fix, otherwise i love the sound of my invidia header and full race exhaust
Cpt-Curls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.