The WD-40 vs White Lithium Grease vs Silicon Spray - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

The WD-40 vs White Lithium Grease vs Silicon Spray

From getting loose a stuck bolt to lubricating metal to metal and metal to non-metal friction areas.

There are a lot of oils/lubricants/greases available for specific purposes and some that will work for a wide range of applications.

Caliper grease, wd-40, 3-in-1, lithium grease, white lithium grease, silicon spray, contact cleaner, etc.

In this post I'll concentrate on WD-40, Silicon Spray and White Lithium Grease as they are by far the most popular "multipurpose" libricant/greases. I'll keep it simple for everyone.

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR BY FOLLOWING THIS DIRECTIONS, THESE PRODUCTS CONTAIN CHEMICALS THAT MAY BE OR ARE TOXIC AND HARMFUL FOR YOUR HEALTH. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ, UNDERSTAND AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS GIVEN BY YOUR SPECIFIC GREASE/OIL AND THE PRODUCT/OBJECT YOU'LL BE LUBRICATING/PROTECTING. SOME SPECIFICATIONS MAY VARY FROM PRODUCT TO PRODUCT SO MAKE SURE YOU READ THEM BEFORE BUYING AND APPLYING. I DID MY BEST TO ENSURE ACCURACY OF THE TEXT, HOWEVER SOME FORMULAS MAY HAVE CHANGED AND ALSO SOURCE MATERIAL COULD HAVE CONTAINED INACCURATE INFORMATION

WD-40

WD-40 (Water Displacement, 40th attempt) is a product that everyone uses indiscriminately on a wide range of materials.

* HEALTH CONCERNS: Non-carcinogenic. (From wd40 site)

* DOES NOT CONTAIN: Silicone, kerosen (as many believe), water, wax or graphite. (From wd40 site)

* SHELF-LIFE: Indefinite. (From wd40 site)

* SAFE FOR: Metal, rubber, wood and plastic. (From wd40 site)

* DIELECTRIC: YES (Tested it, 110V short circuit couldn't be obtained, and multimeter showed it's way above the megaohm range, probably in gigaohms)

* OUTDOOR': YES (But needs to be reapplied regularly)

* USES: Removes sap, tar, adhesives, labels and tape from surfaces without damaging existing paint*. It's an effective cleaner for tools, equipment, and vehicles. Use it to remove splattered bugs from the front of cars. Remove gum from carpet. (From wd40 site).

WD-40 DISPLACES WATER, PENETRATES, PREVENTS CORROSION AND CLEANS. (From wd40 site)

* NOTES: A lot of people suggest and report that it will eat some plastics and rubber. Others say it contains kerosene. Most agree that it won't protect for long if exposed to weather conditions. Many say it will damage paint and the rest that it will work for light duties like home improving jobs.

* RECOMENDATION: I've used WD-40 for 10 years with no problems whatsoever. (Temperature reaches 47C (117F) and its very dry where I live.) I used to apply it on plastics before I read all the warnings against doing so. I primarily use it to loosen tools, bolts, door hinges, and things that don't need any special care (things that can't be easily damaged). Also I must say that once the product dries, the residue won't protect as much as when recently applied. It does prevents corrosion but won't work very well if used outdoors. I'll never use it for high friction surfaces and definately never stain porous painted surfaces with it, as it's harder to remove, and may remove the paint.

My personal recommentation is to use it only on tools, bolts, indoor door hinges, electric contacts (for example the screw in light bulbs and audio jacks), and things that aren't likely to be damaged by chemicals. I regularly spray some inside the electrical outlets with help of the straw.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WHITE LITHIUM GREASE

White lithium grease is a product used for some in heavy/middle-duty applications.

Please note that properties from different products may vary.

* HEALTH CONCERNS: Non-carcinogenic (Suspected). Mist or vapor can irritate the throat and lungs. High concentrations may cause nasal
and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: May cause mild skin irritation with short-term exposure with redness, itching and burning of the skin. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce defatting and possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be mildly irritating to eyes. May cause redness, stinging, swelling and tearing.
Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. If swallowed, this material may cause irritation of the mouth, throat and esophagus. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.
Chronic Effects: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may defeat the skin resulting in irritation and dermatitis.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure (From 3-in-one site)

* CONTAINS: Petrolleum solvent, lithium grease, zinc oxide, propane, n-butane. (From 3-in-one site)

* SHELF-LIFE: Indefinite. (From another product can label)

* FLAMMABLE: YES (Combustible liquid and vapor from 3-in-one site) I tested flammability (once applied and usind different brand), while the grease will catch fire, it would extinguish itself almost immediately. Couldn't get it to stay on fire for long, probably the brand that I used contains fire retardant chemicals. Anyway, it's your responsibility, I tested it very carefully, away from anything that might catch fire and avoided inhaling the fumes, while the grease is somewhat toxic, the fumes may be very toxic.

* SAFE FOR: Metal (From what I've researched). As a petroleum distillate, I wouldn't use it for plastics or rubber, it will probably damage them in the long term.

* DIELECTRIC?: Not stated in specifications, but tested by shortcuiting 110V with the grease and nothing happened (I put some grease in a flat surface, and on both sides of the applied product, put the cables so that the grease would cause a short circuit) The multimeter showed it's avobe the megaohm range, probably gigaohms.

* OUTDOOR?: YES, longlasting, withstands high temperatures, water and won't freeze. (From 3-in-one site and DuPont White Lithium Grease product site)

* USES: Hinges, locks, latches, seat tracks, strike plates, cables, distributor cams, battery terminals, radio antennas, windshield wiper mechanisms, bolts, bearings, sliding doors, windows, hinges, appliances, lawn and garden equipment, garage door tracks, chains, screws, guns, tools, machinery, fans, blowers, roller channels, chains, conveyor, bearing, gears, pneumatic tools, blades and bits.

* NOTES: From what I've researched, and accordingly to the uses specified by the 3-in-one site, white lithium grease is commonly used for metal to metal friction surfaces and metal moving parts.

* RECOMMENDATION: My recommendation would be to use it only on metal, specially for moving parts and friction areas. I don't know what surfaces it may damage, (paint, wood, etc.) but if something gets stained, clean it right away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SILICON SPRAY

Silicon spray is a product used mostly like a replacement for WD-40, because it is known to be safe for plastic, rubber, wood, metal and other surfaces.

Please note that properties from different products may vary.

* HEALTH CONCERNS: CARCINOGENIC VERY HARMFUL
Eye Contact: Irritant. Prolonged contact may cause conjunctivitis.
Skin Contact: Irritant. Defatting of tissue, dermatitis may occur.
Inhalation: Irritant to mucous membranes. Repeated exposure may cause narcosis..
Ingestion: HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. (From LiquidWrench site)

* CONTAINS: Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent
Dimethyl Polysiloxane
Low Odor Base Solvent
Naphthenic Petroleum Distillate
Carbon dioxide
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene
Mesitylene
Xylene (mixed isomers)
Ethylbenzene
Hydrocarbon Fluid
(From LiquidWrench site)

* SHELF-LIFE: 18 months after shipment date (From another product can label)

* FLAMMABLE: YES (From LiquidWrench site) Didn't test flammability because of health concerns.

* SAFE FOR: Rubber, wood, plastic, metal and painted areas (From LiquidWrench site and what I've researched)

* DIELECTRIC: YES (from LiquidWrench can label and TESTED)

* OUTDOOR?: I haven't tried, but wouln't expect it to last more than WD-40, as consistency shows it's very thin.

* USES: The same uses as WD-40 EXCEPT where there is a risk of fire, as it is very flammable (both propellant and liquid). And also it can be applied to materials listed as safe, so I believe this is a more versatile product. Some people I've heard trust this product so much that they have used it in safety critical applications such as car ignition system and brake caliper boots.

* NOTES: This is a very toxic product, some people say it has a pleasant odour, but inhaling its fumes is not something I would do. I don't know if the toxicity refers to the vapors when it's being applied, or to the product itself). Use it with responsibility.

* RECOMMENDATION: I would use it in those places you would want to use WD-40 but aren't sure about damage to surrounding materials, and to lubricate and to some extent, protect those materials as well. For example some precision mechanisms, slide windows and to get loose and/or prevent rust in stuff with different materials (plastic and metal, metal and wood, etc.) The can also states it's safe for vinyl.

I'm planning on doing a test on plastics. The test consist on applying some greases/oils on different types of plastic and then exposing them to the sun for a week. I'll also test products like Meguiars Natural Shine and others.

Thank you for reading, hope it helps.

Last edited by noumen_arete; 06-15-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Accidentaly posted before finishing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
mix
OG VIP Member

Chris
I personally only use those products for when I am lubricating something or silicon spray when i clean my wiper blades.

But I Like to use PB blaster when I have a bolt that is stuck.

Houston Peeps click here >>> HOUSTON FACEBOOK's GROUP <<<
For Sale: K20 VALVE COVER
mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix View Post
I personally only use those products for when I am lubricating something or silicon spray when i clean my wiper blades.

But I Like to use PB blaster when I have a bolt that is stuck.
Sorry you posted before I finished editing it,

How well does silicon spray protects and/or lubricates your blades?
I use put some meguiars endurance (for tires) on the blades, leave it for some minutes and then clean it, sometimes I just put some meguiars natural shine or similar product on them.
noumen_arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
mix
OG VIP Member

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevarez_ga View Post
Sorry you posted before I finished editing it,

How well does silicon spray protects and/or lubricates your blades?
I use put some meguiars endurance (for tires) on the blades, leave it for some minutes and then clean it, sometimes I just put some meguiars natural shine or similar product on them.
It gets rid of all the black residue, That i believe causes it to skip, but works great. I have also found the silicon spray does wonders on the elbow on the AEM intake, when it starts to brown up. Gets it all nice black again.

Houston Peeps click here >>> HOUSTON FACEBOOK's GROUP <<<
For Sale: K20 VALVE COVER
mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.