AC problem - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

AC problem

Hello,

It's getting warm, so I tried to use the AC today.
I noticed a problem, no cold air regardless of my rpm and speed.
this is what I noticed.
1. The AC light is ON. (tried MAX AC too, the lights indicates the correct setting.)
2. No cold air !?!??!!
3. When I'm a idle, usually pressing the max AC light would fluctuate the rpm a bit and the car shakes a bit. I don't have that at all.

Can somebody here tell me what's going on?
Is there a clutch thing that engage/disengage the AC? and the clutch is not engaging?
I'm so confused and worried.

Please shed some light on the matter.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

James
Check for a leak. More than likely you'll need some R134-a aka (good ole fashioned refrigerant) in regular talk.
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

The clutch on the A/C compressor will not engage if refrigerant level is too low. Thus, not getting the normal sounds/vibration. Also chance something else is wrong such as the clutch failed or even a minor electrical problem such as a corroded wire. The question would be how long this has been malfunctioning??? A/C should be functioning as a normal part of the defrosters. Has you glass been fogging in cold weather and difficult to keep clear?
EXcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had been defrosting like.. 3 months ago?

So today, I hacked into the low pressure AC pressure sensor. Tricked the computer to think that I have enough freon pressure.
I got the compressor running.

so now, I think it's either my sensor is not reading the pressure correctly (since I use AC like.. 3 time a year, each time for 10 min or less) I used to live in north california, i prefer window than AC.. but now I'm in toronto.. i NEED AC for summer... so since I used it so little, the sensor might be stuck..

or I actually leaked out the freon. .. now finding the leak is gonna be hard..
any suggestion??
Is there a good/easy way to find where the leak is, and also, where's the condenser located? so at least I can give it a visual inspection..
icen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park
The condensor is right in front of the radiator. A shop that does AC work can hook up a set of gauges to the AC lines and tell you right away if you are low on refrigerant or not (or you could hook up a gauge set yourself if you have access to one). If it is found to be low, filling the system up along with some leak detect dye is one way to find the leak.

I wouldn't run the system with the switch jumpered like that until you confirm you aren't actually low on refrigerant. The refrigerant being circulated through the system is what causes the oil in the system to circulate as well. Without this you will put a lot of extra wear on the AC compressor.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Its pretty unlikely for your sensor to go out, but not impossible. I'm going to say your are low on refrigerant as well. if the system is bone dry, then you'll need to do a proper suck down. Pulling a vacuum on the system for about 30 minutes, after this you should be free to put refrigerant back in, with a dye detector. If you have a leak, it should start to show itself within a couple days.
jongp3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys..

I know, i shouldn't have done that. But I was freaked out and was dead worried if my compressor was ok.
by the way, don't they need to run the AC At max AC when filling up the system with freon? would that kill my system?

I'll contact my mechanics tomorrow and see if he does AC stuff. There are so many regulation in Canada .. I can't even buy R134a here..
icen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

complete a/c failure

I had some similar problems that others have posted about the ac not blowing cold air. My refrigerant was low so I added the appropriate amount. About a month ago I started hearing what sounded like a bad bearing when the compressor kicked on. It has gotten progressively worse, so I took it to a dealer to inspect. Results came back that the entire system is contaminated with metal shavings and needs replaced....a $2000 repair!!

Anybody with suggestions dealing with Honda or having similar problems??
dmcdonald15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

re:AC Problem

My 2008 civic sedan 's AC was having similar problems last summer and still does not work.

The good news is: no metal filings to date

Has anybody found a solution? My local dealership says I also need a new compressor. I find this hard to believe because when it randomly works it works very well! When it randomly does not work, the fan blows hot; the green control light is still on and it is set for max cold, but the clutch and compressor do not engage!

I suspect there is someone out there who can fix this problem without replacing the compressor!
OntarioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Barbara E.
2006 Civic LX Coupe, automatic: Got new compressor, not cooling properly, refrigerant evacuated and recharged. Compressor replaced two days ago. Kind of cooled, but now not cooling. I think it's the evaporator temperature sensor, not sure why I think this, but I do. Now mechanic will recharge and he said he read something about wetting the condenser when recharging? This is driving me kind of nuts, but I feel the problem will be solved eventually. Any ideas?
Frespirt1002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Barbara E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frespirt1002 View Post
2006 Civic LX Coupe, automatic: Got new compressor, not cooling properly, refrigerant evacuated and recharged. Compressor replaced two days ago. Kind of cooled, but now not cooling. I think it's the evaporator temperature sensor, not sure why I think this, but I do. Now mechanic will recharge and he said he read something about wetting the condenser when recharging? This is driving me kind of nuts, but I feel the problem will be solved eventually. Any ideas?
Yesterday I did an experiment while on a 100 mile drive. I turned the cool/heat control knob from coldest to hottest and let the heat blow 2-3 seconds, then back to coldest again, and guess what? I had cold cold cold air. Stopped car, let sit a while, then and went again a couple of times, and still have cold air! Not sure if this will hold out, but I will have the shop look at it again, based on these "findings." Would like to have reliable a/c and not wonder if/when it will happen again.. Evaporator Temperature Sensor?
Frespirt1002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

My wife has an 08 CR-V and the AC is blowing hot air. We got a recall letter from Honda that says there have been several complaints about the AC and they will fix it and extend the warranty of the AC clutch to 7 years. I have an 08 Civic EX and have not had any problems with my AC.
looking_in_ar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Exclamation

I have 2010 Civic. Recently it was water logged (water level upto the Registration number plate). The problem is the AC is not working. May kindly suggest the trouble shooting points.
Many regards,
H S Gill,

Last edited by hsgill; 09-19-2014 at 02:47 AM.
hsgill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icen View Post
...by the way, don't they need to run the AC At max AC when filling up the system with freon?
The "MAX A/C" setting is a misleading term. It is exactly the same as having the "A/C" button and "Recirc" buttons activated simultaneously. Idea of "Max A/C" is that the car cools best when inside air is constantly recirculated.
MardiGras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Does this do anything?

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgill View Post
I have 2010 Civic. Recently it was water logged (water level upto the Registration number plate). The problem is the AC is not working. May kindly suggest the trouble shooting points.
Many regards,
H S Gill,
Replace all wiring harnesses and electrical components that were under water. This is why insurance companies write off almost any car that is submerged above the door sills.
leveldowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.