8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Low on Oil?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  silverr78 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 FA5 with 3100 miles and just recently check the dipstick. Currently rmy Oil Level shows 50% but unsure if I should change oil since manual recommends around 15%. The oil level is just slightly above the lower limit and unsure if I should still drive the car until it reaches till 15% Oil level.

Is it ok run on this until it reaches 15% or just change it early?

See less See more
#5 ·
Let me be clear, because its low does NOT mean you need to change it. The meter doesnt measure your oil. Simply add some as is recommended in the owners manual.

Now i you want to change it you cam go right ahead, I had my factory oil changed at 770 miles. Id hold off on the synthetic though just use a regular oil, or synth blend. Fyi mobil1 is a synth blend, if you want full synth you need m1 extended performance, or penzoil platinum.

#8 ·
thanks guys, since I don't have any 5w-30 laying around to top it off, I might as well pick up a 5qt from Walmart and change the oil. From reading around the forum, I always a assume that the MM was a good way to indicate to change your oil since it calculates the engine revolution. Due to the MM, people were disregarding the 3000 miles oil change cycle and changing it based on the MM. In the owner's manual

"Based on the engine operating
conditions and accumulated engine
revolutions, the onboard computer in
your vehicle calculates the remaining
engine oil life and displays it as a
percentage."

Just wondering is there a reason not to use full synthetic? Should I use it after the second or third oil change?

Depending on how you drive (hard or kinda babying it) and the plans you have for the car, i'd recommend you change the oil soon, just to get all the crap floating around in there, outta there! (the OEM oil filter is a complete POS and doesn't filter tiny metal shavings all that well)

Just my recommendation.
What oil filter would you recommend?

#6 ·
^Pennzoil platinum is not a "true" synthetic. (comparing it price wise) Pennzoil Ultra is comparable to M1 EP. :thumb:

OP, as suggested, add a quart of oil to top it off and continue to run it until the MM light comes on @ 15%

Depending on how you drive (hard or kinda babying it) and the plans you have for the car, i'd recommend you change the oil soon, just to get all the crap floating around in there, outta there! (the OEM oil filter is a complete POS and doesn't filter tiny metal shavings all that well)

Just my recommendation.

#11 · (Edited)
depending on how you drive Id wait untill 5,000 miles to switch to synthetic. If you do alot of highway driving wait a bit longer. I have no science behind it so dont ask sorry but that's what I did to my last 2 8th gens and plan to do to my current one.

I changed FactoryFill at 776 miles, used whatever the dealer stocks. Now I'm at 1,800 miles and plan to change it around 4,000 miles because I did do 2 quarter mile runs and will do about another 5 untill 4,000 miles.

what I'm trying to get to is buy whatever oil is on sale for now, 5/30 grade and run it untill you hit 5,000 miles. Then at 5k change it out to a synthetic like Penzoil Platinum 10/30 and change it at every 5,000 point with confidence knowing you can even skip an oil change and the oil will still be in great shape.
remember to top off every time you fill your tank, adding 1/4 qt every week is alot better then adding 1/2 qt every other week. your additive pack will be much better that way prolonging oil and engine life.

edit-
I'm not implying your engine will use 1/4 qt every week, I'm just saying its better to add little by little then to add a whole bunch.

#12 ·
what I'm trying to get to is buy whatever oil is on sale for now, 5/30 grade and run it untill you hit 5,000 miles. Then at 5k change it out to a synthetic like Penzoil Platinum 10/30 and change it at every 5,000 point with confidence knowing you can even skip an oil change and the oil will still be in great shape.
remember to top off every time you fill your tank, adding 1/4 qt every week is alot better then adding 1/2 qt every other week. your additive pack will be much better that way prolonging oil and engine life.
Is it bad to mix any brand 5w-30 oil that is not the same in the motor? I was planning to do what you suggest and top it off till I have 5,000 miles and probably switch to synthetic blend or full synthetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.