engine blocked cracked - Page 16 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin1 View Post
worldwide, does this only affect u.s. cars?
this additional 5 year warranty extension suggests to me that honda expects a very high risk.
I suspect that this only affects vehicles that were made in North America.

Found a forum that specializes in Civics for the European Union market: Civinfo - Honda Civic Forum

Quote:
Welcome to Civinfo! This forum is for the 2006 onwards European Honda Civic.

Civinfo is the largest forum in Europe dedicated to the European Honda Civic,
The Forum claims to have 40,179 members. I hypothesized that if there were widespread problems, a thread would have showed up, so I ran the following Google search: "block crack site:www.civinfo.com/"

There was only a single thread on the topic, and it was some person in Europe asking if the US R18 problem affected EU Civics. The only reply was another EU person saying they never heard of this problem.

I know the EU Civic is offered with 1.4L L-series and 1.8L R-series engines, as well as the 2.2L iDTEC diesel, so there are probably far fewer R18s in Europe than in the US. Still, there was not a single person in that EU forum saying they had a block crack.

Doesn't mean for 100% sure that it hasn't happened, but given that people tend to complain loudly on the Internet for almost any kind of defect, I think someone, or some small group of people would have protested if such a defect existed.
Sonic Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #302 (permalink)

Thanks for that Sonic Screwdriver! Good info!
witeshark817 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #303 (permalink)

on my car the engine cracked @ 84K miles. the previous owner aparently couldnt pay or didnt want the car back. the dealership put in a crate engine in it and sold it sticker and internet price for about 10K. i grabed it. the motor looked and ran like brand new.
diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #304 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Screwdriver View Post
I suspect that this only affects vehicles that were made in North America.
this does'nt look good for u.s. manufacturing.

assuming 380,000 civics manu. in us per year during that model run since mid '05 to april '09- is almost 4 years of potential bad blocks-yields 1.52 million units. (this assumption ignores perhaps 10% are SI's.)

our single web site reports less than 30 units failed to date. if assume only 1% of total failures to date have been reported on our single website, then 3000 units have failed so far. and most failures it has been said are likely to occur at lower mileage-this is debatable. anyway if 6000 total units fail up to 200,000 miles of usage, that number is 0.4 per 100.
6000/1,520,000 = 0.004 or 0.4 %, which is 0.4 per 100 units.

i know these are gross assumptions, so chime in.

Last edited by jamin1; 02-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
jamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #305 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
Yeah I'll get it going somehow, probably get a used engine. I was just saying that because if Honda had built a better engine, I wouldn't have had a problem with the salvage title
Update...Last ditch effort before replacing engine I threw some Blue Devil engine sealant in there, a mechanic said try it it does work. Its been a couple months with no leaks! I cant believe it actually worked. supposed to be a permanent fix. Keeping my fingers crossed though. I put on 140 miles a day so maybe I can wear that engine out before the problem reoccurs!
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #306 (permalink)

2008 civic ex 81751 miles. Just got the car dropped off under extended warranty. My car was also services by Honda til 55k then maintained by myself regularly every 5k. Sigh

Last edited by monaymarlon; 03-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.
monaymarlon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #307 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaymarlon View Post
2008 civic ex 801751 miles. Just got the car dropped off under extended warrant. My car was also devices by Honda til 55k then maintained by myself regularly every 5k. Sigh
Good luck; please keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #308 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark817 View Post
Good luck; please keep us posted.
sure np. this just kinda suck because i never got the letter regarding the warranty extension. finding out your engine block's cracked isnt the best thing to hear when your car's been babied all its life

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

UPDATE

*just got the car back 2 days ahead of schedule. got the fluids changed besides i think the brake fluid? anyways, they gave my car an alignment too and engine bay was definitely cleaned, all the reservoir tanks are in brand new condition. pretty happy with how the problem was resolved - service was good and no hassle. props to honda stevens creek

Last edited by monaymarlon; 03-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
monaymarlon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #309 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaymarlon View Post
sure np. this just kinda suck because i never got the letter regarding the warranty extension. finding out your engine block's cracked isnt the best thing to hear when your car's been babied all its life

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

UPDATE

*just got the car back 2 days ahead of schedule. got the fluids changed besides i think the brake fluid? anyways, they gave my car an alignment too and engine bay was definitely cleaned, all the reservoir tanks are in brand new condition. pretty happy with how the problem was resolved - service was good and no hassle. props to honda stevens creek
I feel your pain bro. I babied mine too. I have a 2007 LX with 105,597 miles on it. I've gone a little over board caring for mine at times. I run mid grade gas, Mobil 1 oil and filter, the best engine and cabin air filters etc. and my car took a crap 3 days ago. I was driving home from work and noticed the A/C wasn't blowing as cool as it normally would. I checked the control setting and everything was good. I was thinking maybe time for service. I pulled up to the stop light and the air got warm; I looked at the cluster and saw nothing out of the ordinary such as a service light or whatever. Then I saw the temp gauge was reading full hot! I pulled over immediately. I let it cool down and drove to a gas station and bought a bottle coolant. the radiator was almost cold even though the gauge read half hot. I added an entire gallon of coolant and started the car. the temp went back up then stabilized at the norm. The next morning I checked it. No puddle under the car; cool. I pulled the oil dip stick and it was sticky at the top but the oil quantity, color and viscosity looked and felt correct. I removed the oil filler cap and was horrified. There it was!! a sludge the color of coffee with cream in and around the cap. I researched, found this thread and promptly drove my car and a copy of 10-048 to the dealership. They gave me no headache. they simply drove the car back and said I will have a new motor by Saturday morning.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #310 (permalink)

Now they're telling me Monday afternoon.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #311 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Now they're telling me Monday afternoon.
Wow best of luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #312 (permalink)

Like a lot of people I have about another year and half left on extended warranty. At this point if the car fails after that I am considering a lawsuit as I don't have that kind of cash to put into a car that is only past 8 years. I honestly don't see how Honda could win this with a good lawyer on the buyer's side. Everything that has come out points to them as being the culprit. Can anybody chime in here? Is there any precedent for this?

I have about 84k right now and since driving to city more and more it is getting larger year by year. I should hit 100k by 8th year but I swear if this thing fails I will have nothing left but to take them to court immediately because I need a car.

I have a just a teensy drip on the tranny bolt from a hairline crack in super cold weather and that is about it. Replaced 02 sensor and coolant sensor and battery stuff plus the normals. Car runs like a dream but I just don't know about all this anymore. That 700k thread has me in hope... from what I saw he ran that first one for some time. If I can get 200k out of this I am just fine but I still think this engine thing is bull. Cars should not just drop dead like this without somebody owning up to it past an extended warranty.

Last edited by swarthy; 05-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.
swarthy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #313 (permalink)

okay
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #314 (permalink)

Block cracked at 96,000 miles about three days ago Sitting at dealer right now, but it's covered by honda. Thank God!
bamf427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #315 (permalink)

It seems fairly consistent about what mileage the cracking starts to happen...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #316 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf427 View Post
Block cracked at 96,000 miles about three days ago Sitting at dealer right now, but it's covered by honda. Thank God!
Is good to know they are still taking care of this issue
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #317 (permalink)

Mine cracked at 105,500 miles. I babied the heck out of it too. I did all required check ups and used Mobil 1 oil and filters plus premium cabin and engine air filters, etc...

A friend with a 2006 LX lost her engine last night. I gave her everything I had and she is at the dealer right now.

If the problem isnít apparent as of yet, consider taking it to a radiator shop and let them pressure test it. You may have a very small, undetectable leak right now. Also check your engine oil filler cap and look for a milky, oil film. If the engine doesnít hold specified pressure or you see any residue on the cap; take it to Honda along with a copy of the service bulletin and let them be the judge. You will not experience any loss of performance if the crack is small enough. Lastly, If you do all of the above and everything checks good, I would suggest doing it again just prior to your block's expiration date.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #318 (permalink)

Pistol Pete:

What was the odometer reading on your friend's 2006 Civic?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #319 (permalink)

Still havent gotten the mileage but shes getting a new block!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #320 (permalink)
VIP Member

the warranty on certain blocks is 8y unlimited miles, applies to most civics (r18 only) all you have to do is call an advisor with your vin # and they can do a vin inquiry for you.

shoot...if anybody in san diego with this problem pm me with questions. i can point you in the right direction
KlickityClack07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.