Annoying Rattling Noise - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Annoying Rattling Noise

I need some help in identifying the annoying rattling noise that has been occurring with my car. I bought my 2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan in August of last year. In Jan. 09, I started hearing this annoying rattling noise that seemed to be coming from the rear left tire. I brought my car in to be checked out but the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car or tires. After that I never heard the noise again. We got our first snow fall of the season in Dec 09 and the noise had returned, expect this time in the front left tire. I had planned to take the car into the dealer again to see what the problem was because the noise was loud, clear, and distinct. However, while I was out of town, I had my brother drive the car around; he heard nothing! For the past few weeks, I have not heard anything either. But now the weather is starting to warm up (it's in the mid/high twenties and thirties) and the noise has returned.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had or has this same problem and if so, what is it? Or if anyone has any idea what it is? That way, the next time I take it into the mechanic, I can specify exactly what it is. I can't bear driving my car with this annoying noise forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timmy
I have a rattling noise in the front left of my car. It just happened recently a squeaky sound near the center of my dash. It's annoying but I spoke with a technician that used to work at Honda from where i work at now and he says that there's a bullet out for these problems and that it has something to do with the cars struts. It's covered warranty so i think you should take it to the dealership and explain to them! I'm taking mine this friday
goldnugget89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Did the sound go away? Because I took my car in the other day and the technican said it was because the bumper was loose and it was rubbering against the inside; apparently there had been other cars that came in with the same sound. He put a felt in between and I drove the car home and the car sounded perfectly fine. The next morning as I was driving into work, the sound was slowly coming back. That night as I drove home, it was back to normal. I'm taking my car in again tomorrow and I might have to end up leaving it there but if that worked for your car; I'm going to suggest it to my technican. So lmk.
bnchwrmr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Did the sound go away? Because I took my car in the other day and the technican said it was because the bumper was loose and it was rubbering against the inside; apparently there had been other cars that came in with the same sound. He put a felt in between and I drove the car home and the car sounded perfectly fine. The next morning as I was driving into work, the sound was slowly coming back. That night as I drove home, it was back to normal. I'm taking my car in again tomorrow and I might have to end up leaving it there but if that worked for your car; I'm going to suggest it to my technican. So lmk.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Timmy
when i took it to the dealership a couple of weeks ago. they couldn't duplicate the sound. but there were noises coming from the back as well and they found out what the problem to that one was. which was something was loose in between the doors. But strangely i don't hear that noise anymore. But I wanna go get it checked out as well seeing that you said it was your bumper that was rubbing against something
goldnugget89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think it's the bumper anymore. The sound has returned. Whatever they did, they just muted the sound; they didn't fix it. I'm going to take it in today. A friend of mine suggested that it might be the bump stop, struts, suspension. I'm starting to think it could be those things too ... well let you know when we figure it out.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

My dash rattles right around the air conditioning controls. In fact, if you push on the plastic panel just below the buttons, it stops for a few miles.

Also, i have a rattle in the adjustable seat belt mechanism in the B-pillar. Its right next to my ear. lol

The dealer "can't duplicate the problem". Such is life. This car has been one big headache with these problems and the 3rd gear grind (Si)
FB Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Aaron
mine has a reallllllly bad jingle/scratching noise coming from the muffler or rear pass suspension area. For the life of me I cant figure out what exactly it is. It sounds like the dust shield rubbing on the rotor kinda but its only during vibrations and when it feels like it. Either way it makes my car sound like a old ass cutlass. Im finding out that our cars dont age very well.
arrivalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
My dash rattles right around the air conditioning controls. In fact, if you push on the plastic panel just below the buttons, it stops for a few miles.

Also, i have a rattle in the adjustable seat belt mechanism in the B-pillar. Its right next to my ear. lol

The dealer "can't duplicate the problem". Such is life. This car has been one big headache with these problems and the 3rd gear grind (Si)

think i have the same problems!! so much rattling noises
kartoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.