08-044 cracked engine block - Page 5 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igiboi View Post
i was shocked to read about this too. i just bought an 07 ex thinking it was a good deal @ 63k miles. when i joined this forum and read about the model 06-09 i was stressed. I was hoping this car would last like 7 years. But we shouldnt worry cos honda has a warranty on the engine for 8 years. so mine has a warranty until 2015.
Is this one of those warranties that expire only through time or does it expire once you reach a certain mileage?

Also to the user who noted that we can't overheat our engines..Hmm, think that 100K warranty plan or w/e would cover? I mean how else would we have known the block's cracked without something messing?
FlipIffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #82 (permalink)

Unlimited mileage 8 yrs from original date of purchase.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Mflody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #83 (permalink)

I noticed mine was cracked by the pool of coolant under it. I was able to top it off and make it to the dealer about a 50 minute trip.

Mflody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #84 (permalink)

hey guys. im new here, and after searching extensively i was able to find the answers i needed. however, does anyone have a copy of the warranty extention from Honda, or a link to the warranty info? i clicked the link on page 4, but it seems to be a broken link. any help will be great. thank you.
ARgunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #85 (permalink)

this thread makes me nervous lol
Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #86 (permalink)

Cracked Block ! 2007 LX...Luckky Girl

Glad I found this forum..

My daughter narrowly escaped an accident coming down the harbor bridge on way to work this morn. She's young driver and was scared out of her wits when car overheated engin stalled, brakes gone, power steering gone....but she made it to safety thank God.

Coolant all under car...towed to Honda,,,they immediately knew what was wrong.... CRACKED BLOCK under exhaust manifold...will fix under the 8 year extended warranty. I pulled the dipstick when I got to the scene only to find the stick had melted off. Man, the head is probably fried,,,but Honda said they would take care of it. My daughter is totaly freaked and is getting rid of the car...doesn't feel safe anymore..you know how kids are.

Myself, if the engine got that hot, I don't have much faith in the future of the car. I mean, every engine i've seen have a head job seems to be plagued by problems in the near future. What do yall think?
Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
Glad I found this forum..

My daughter narrowly escaped an accident coming down the harbor bridge on way to work this morn. She's young driver and was scared out of her wits when car overheated engin stalled, brakes gone, power steering gone....but she made it to safety thank God.

Coolant all under car...towed to Honda,,,they immediately knew what was wrong.... CRACKED BLOCK under exhaust manifold...will fix under the 8 year extended warranty. I pulled the dipstick when I got to the scene only to find the stick had melted off. Man, the head is probably fried,,,but Honda said they would take care of it. My daughter is totaly freaked and is getting rid of the car...doesn't feel safe anymore..you know how kids are.

Myself, if the engine got that hot, I don't have much faith in the future of the car. I mean, every engine i've seen have a head job seems to be plagued by problems in the near future. What do yall think?
Definitely wasn't keeping an eye on the temp gauge. I do agree, head is probably fried. Time to replace the whole motor.

Last edited by Brian1; 06-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Brian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
Definitely wasn't keeping an eye on the temp gauge. I do agree, head is probably fried. Time to replace the whole motor.

You are so right. The young lady wasn't watching the temp gauge. But 21 year old lady drivers are know to have such issues..lol... I have to say Honda did us right. The head was warped and non reparable..
.014 warpage... and of course they replaced it also. I quizzed them on it and of course the head is milled to the block and it is a professional rebuild.

Since it got so hot, they even replaced the plugs, all four coil packs, dip stick, oil pump orings and seal, set rings, tranny fluid, coolant, all gasket sets, oil filter, oil, power steer fluid, front wheel alignment, add infinitum etc etc..

I feel lucky that they honored the head job as I'd read that Honda doesn't usually do that. Guess the dealership stepped up to the plate with the "good will" factor. Our warranty expired in 2010, and we never extended it. However, the block and engine issue is still warranted til 2015.

We walked away with a virtually new engine and from what I've gleaned from info on the net, these type of rebuilds are good to go and never come back with "after effect" issues.

Plus, they had the car ready to go in just 3 days !!!

Kudos to HONDA~!

Last edited by Streamer; 06-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
You are so right. The young lady wasn't watching the temp gauge. But 21 year old lady drivers are know to have such issues..lol... I have to say Honda did us right. The head was warped and non reparable..
.014 warpage... and of course they replaced it also. I quizzed them on it and of course the head is milled to the block and it is a professional rebuild.

Since it got so hot, they even replaced the plugs, all four coil packs, dip stick, oil pump orings and seal, set rings, tranny fluid, coolant, all gasket sets, oil filter, oil, power steer fluid, front wheel alignment, add infinitum etc etc..

I feel lucky that they honored the head job as I'd read that Honda doesn't usually do that. Guess the dealership stepped up to the plate with the "good will" factor. Our warranty expired in 2010, and we never extended it. However, the block and engine issue is still warranted til 2015.

We walked away with a virtually new engine and from what I've gleaned from info on the net, these type of rebuilds are good to go and never come back with "after effect" issues.

Kudos to HONDA~!
Thats good things turned out fine in the end. Thats also good that honda did an especially nice job taking care of your vehicle.

Brian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #90 (permalink)

Spence
I am having the same issue, at least I believe so, and that's why I'm here.
I do not see any liquid underneath my car. My mechanic has done everything to try and pinpoint the issue, (even did a blow test on the HVAC system) and couldn't find any leaks with it.

Could it be a crack in the radiator and the fluid is being evaporated when the car is under load? Could the block be cracked even though there is no liquid leaking (seemingly) under the car?
I've had to refill my coolant 4 times now and it's scary because it randomly happens and I don't want to be somewhere indecent when it happens again.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Forgot to mention that I have an 07 Civic LX sedan

Last edited by 07civiclx2; 07-23-2012 at 07:10 AM.
07civiclx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
em_

could be cracked behind the air , oil separator
em_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #92 (permalink)

My 06 Civic had this cracked engine block last September when it only had like 40kish miles on it -___- Been having tons of other trouble ever since. Honda screwed up the installation & made a leak in my head gasket so they replaced that too for free, but I had the starter die on me, battery leakage, 2 axles went bad so I had it replaced, torn motor mount..... really wishing I could get rid of this 06 civic but since I've spent a couple grand on repairs already excluding the cracked block/head gasket leak I'm forced to keep this crap car....
garyx24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #93 (permalink)

Chris K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaralaccs View Post
there is no VIN range it applies to all 06-08 Civics except gx, hybrid and si (all r18's)
GX is an R18, and a few people with GXs have had the block crack. (including the guy on here on pg4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastercivic09 View Post
And hell if my blows hello K20z3. hahaha.
HECK YEAH.
unexpectedly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #94 (permalink)
Jo0

Quote:

Kudos to HONDA~!

Is that your warranty or all of our warrantys extended till 2015? I just noticed leaking coolant today, and I'm afraid I have a cracked block. Also, does intake and exhaust void the warranty?

Last edited by Jo0; 10-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #95 (permalink)

Warranty question

My 2007 Civic engine blocked cracked 2.5 years ago at about 44,000 miles. I got a brand new engine under the warranty. I am now having motor mount problems (vibrating while in park and reverse after a cold start). I am wondering if the new engine I have is under a new warranty. The dealership I took it to (a different one from before because I've moved) told me no, that the warranty runs from when the CAR WAS BUILT, not the engine. This doesn't make sense to me. 1) I thought warranties started from when the car was originally purchased; 2) It's a new engine, so why would the powertrain warranty count for an engine that doesn't even exist? Basically, I am wondering if I am being given the correct information. Can anyone help me out with this?
carabara107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #96 (permalink)

Warranties start from the delivery date of the original owner.
The engine block was a "warranty repair". Any repair has it's own 12month/12,000 mile warranty. It doesn't extend any existing warranty.
Your powertrain warranty is up at 5 years / 60,000miles

If your headlight switch stopped working within the 3 year /30,000 bumper to bumper warranty, you don't get another 3 years or 30,000 miles added on it or the rest of the car

Last edited by Jaralaccs; 11-30-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Jaralaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #97 (permalink)

robert
Im pretty new to this, but how would you know if you have a cracked engine block?

Sent from my SCH-R920 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
fangboyz715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #98 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your daughter's close call! Believe me, I am 50 years old and when this happened to me, I freaked out too - didn't know what was happening or why. I loved my little car until this happened. My car was overheating in traffic. Turned out to be the block and Pacific Honda repaired it at their cost! I do not really feel safe with this car now and don't know if I will buy another Honda. My car also has the excessive wear on tires issue - I am on my 3rd set of tires for 58,000 non-aggressive miles!
kmackie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #99 (permalink)

My car started overheating - temp guage was all the way up to H; steam coming out of the hood - scared the crap out of me. Took it immediately to a good Honda dealer, Pacific Honda in San Diego and they fixed it for me at their cost. Unfortunately, I don't feel as much trust in Honda now after reading about many different problems with my year and model!
kmackie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #100 (permalink)

07 EX coupe, block cracked the other night at 82575.
Bought it last March at 76***k.

Local dealer where I bought it is replacing it under TSB 10-048.

I have a copy of it and will gladly take photos of the TSB for anyone who seeks the total coverage of the extended warranty/those of us who are paranoid.

Can't find it ANYWHERE on the internet. Feel like Honda doesn't want this information to be well-known.
pieslice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.