EPS light, no power steering - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

EPS light, no power steering

Just thought I'd share my EPS problem since I'm bored at work. Car is a 2007 Si Sedan. Every couple months I'll start the car and the EPS (electronic power steering) light comes on and there is no steering assist. If I shut it off and re-start everything is fine and no codes are stored. I finally got it to act up before work and drove it in with no power steering. Scanned with our (marathon automotive) VeDis scan tool but it wouldn't communicate with the EPS module. I then drove strait to the dealer and had them inspect. They found that the EPS motor had a "hard failure". They are ordering the motor and most likely the entire steering rack along with the EPS module. Either the tech really likes making money or they don't know exactlly what failed. The tech said he would check all the connectors when replacing the parts. The last tech botched my transmission re-build, but this tech has a solid reputation around town. I will post an update when the work is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpstan83 View Post
Just thought I'd share my EPS problem since I'm bored at work. Car is a 2007 Si Sedan. Every couple months I'll start the car and the EPS (electronic power steering) light comes on and there is no steering assist. If I shut it off and re-start everything is fine and no codes are stored. I finally got it to act up before work and drove it in with no power steering. Scanned with our (marathon automotive) VeDis scan tool but it wouldn't communicate with the EPS module. I then drove strait to the dealer and had them inspect. They found that the EPS motor had a "hard failure". They are ordering the motor and most likely the entire steering rack along with the EPS module. Either the tech really likes making money or they don't know exactlly what failed. The tech said he would check all the connectors when replacing the parts. The last tech botched my transmission re-build, but this tech has a solid reputation around town. I will post an update when the work is done.
Sounds like they may have damaged the EPS unit when they did your transmission service. Hopefully all works out
Si2Typ3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 08 Si coupe. It only happens at some really cold morning at around 35F or bellow. I started the car, EPS light comes on and no steering assist. I haven't done any major thing to my car except HFP suspension.
08Si_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nate
The EPS unit can be damaged if at any point your subframe is lowered for any corresponding install. One way to remedy this is to disconnect the Steering rack from inside the car before dropping the frame

also its one of the only codes that only the dealership can fix
Si2Typ3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pillar of Objectivity

Name: Mike
This happened to me twice.

The dealership couldn't pull a code as the light was off by the time I got down there the first time. I was furious. I was afraid it'd go out around a corner again randomly.

Second time, I almost crashed going around the corner I was afraid of, when the power steering died.

I drove it down there and told them that it was staying there until it was fixed.

The EPS sensor or something was malfunctioning and they rush ordered one from California in. It's been fine ever since, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I won't even get started on my airbag malfunctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmhonda View Post
Ringpop has been an extremely helpful member throughout the years and I doubt your joke is half as helpful as his worst post.
Special Ringpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2Typ3R View Post
Sounds like they may have damaged the EPS unit when they did your transmission service. Hopefully all works out
I've has this problem since a week after I bought it new, so it couldn't be from the trans work.
dpstan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

the eps does a self test each time you turn the key on, if it detects a fualt it will throw the light and eliminate assist cuasing you to have manual use of steering only. if you turn off the car and turn it back on and the light turns off then its an intermitent failure. if you had transmission work done to the car it is possible that either a connector is damage causing intermittent contact failure or there is damage to the eps module.
Jelatomio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

The EPS light come on this morning when I was making a turn at a traffic light. I had to pull over to reset it. Car is at the dealer now.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Greg
I've never even heard of this issue before... sounds pretty scary if it turns off while driving.
kenny rogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

eric
I've never had this happen while driving, only during the winter when I would start my car and let it warm up for a few minutes. As soon as I put disengaged the handbrake, the EPS light would pop up, and I'd have to restart. This only happened 3 or 4 times, and only during the winter.

Since then I've started "priming" the car by turning it to ON (II), letting it sit for a few seconds while it does its thing, then ignition... no problems since then.
enojy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Update: Dealer cannot find anything wrong with my car. Nothing I can to until this point.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

ghetto fabulous
did you solve this problem?
20civic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 07 Si coupe.
562SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

ghetto fabulous
i had my transmission fixed by the dealership, it has done this once or twice before, but now it stays on. wtf!
20civic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

EPS Intermittent Failure

I just bought a new 2010 Civic Si sedan three weeks ago. I've had no problems with it. Suddenly yesterday, I was exiting the freeway and a car stops in from of me. When I turned to avoid that car, the steering wheel shook, almost akin to the feeling you would get from ABS, but with the wheel and not the brake pedal.

After that, I started hearing a clicking coming from the glove box area. Every time the click happened, the EPS would turn on and then off. (The light also.) The result was that I would have no power steering with intermittent periods of it kicking in. So going through any turns, I was wrenching on the wheel, then suddenly the power would kick in causing me to veer suddenly.

This condition is very very dangerous. This morning, I started the car to take it in to the dealer. When I started the car, the intermittent EPS light and steering problem happened for about five minutes, but then it went off all the way to the dealer.

They just called and told me that although they can't re-create the problem, they checked the computer and the error message indicated that the entire power steering unit is fried. They are over-nighting another unit and installing it asap.

So... If anyone else sees this problem, it seems like it is serious and it is in their knowledge base. It's just weird.
evilmagma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

9k everyday...
i've had the EPS light & steering $hit on me a few times in my 06 Si.... never while driving ..... usually only happens when the car is first started in the mornings.... while backing out of the shop
Lstarz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Who has a legit fix to this problem?
Eklipz98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

This happened to me last night. 2008 civic si sedan.i was driving and i heard a clicking noise.i thought is was a spare plastic after my hid installation.after about 1 hour i was doing 45. the miles indicator suddently was showing 0 and i had the engine light and the eps light on.the thing is i have a cai on my car.will this void my warranty if i take it like that to the dealership???I live in Greenville SC.
VASARAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I assuming for those who are driving a R18 where it uses hydraulic power-steering, we are safe?

Last edited by trumpet-205; 04-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
trumpet-205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

i had my engine light and eps light come on.i took it to the dealership and they said there was the speed sensor that went bad.They said it takes thw speed from the ground and send it to the ECU.so the ecu 'locked' the steering wheel.
VASARAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.