8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

U.S. Si sedan oil filter hard to reach.

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  azngotmilk 
#1 ·
i was changing the oil and oil filter in my 07 Si sedan today and i felt like the oil filter was way to hard to reach, i had to take of the passenger side wheel and go threw there to get it out and replace it. is this what everyone does? is there an easier way to reach it?

steve.

#3 ·
ok here ya go the easiest way to do this that i have found is to do it this way. but one downfall.

use a fram filter (aka downfall) it has the grip on the back. now turn your wheel all the way to the left and reach in with your arm and put it on hand tight. so then when you change it with your hand its easy.

this is what my friend does with his SI.

but if you do like me i jack up the front end get under the car. and you can get a pair of adjustable plyers and get your arm up above the filter adjust the plyers so they face up and then you can get on the filter and take it off easy. ps becareful for the drip. haha

#7 ·
i know ,what a hassle just to change your own oil, so i learned from mistake, i now take it to a local shop and they can do it. The time and effort is not worth it- takes almost 1-2 hours for me Plus copst of oil and filter. Cost at the shop is 35 bucks plus 1/2 hour of my time.

#14 ·
Crush washers are supposed to be replaced everytime. Last time i used the same one with no issues. It mainly helps not strip the threads from over tightening.

#18 ·
in the end i took of the wheel, reached in... couldn't get it out with my hand so i used

and it worked just fine. i think it is a bad idea to place such a commonly maintained item so deep beneath the motor and suspension, it took me like 10 minutes just to find the darn thing. its my first oil change with this car.

and since i had one wheel off i rotated my tires too =)

#21 · (Edited)
^not really... This is custom fitted for our oil filters....

Yeah you could get the job done w/ 3-5 dollar ones, but this looks like it be easier to use, especially cuz of the location of our filters. And if i'm going to be using using this on my SI and my girls LX all the time then i don't mind payin 20 bucks.

#23 · (Edited)
just as a warning, you WILL need a filter wrench (the round black image on the last page) to remove the oil filter if the oil was last changed at your honda dealer. that, and a lot of force.

mine was so tight that i had to bring it to a local shop and have them put it up on their lift. considering the amount of force required to remove this thing, i didn't trust my jack stands. it was THAT tight. heard one of the jack stands creak when i was wrenching on the filter, and thought to myself, alright; that's enough. brought the car down and drove it in. my jack stands are rated at 3,000 lbs capacity as well.

reaching the filter though... it is a little high and secluded compared to the past few cars i've owned, but not "impossible" to reach. no need to remove the passenger wheel either, just turn the wheels all the way to the left as someone else already stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.