Windshield Wiper Issue - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

i live in vancouver, bc canada and i printed out the TSB and showed them that they didn't replace it on the car when the issue first happened. Richmond honda said that the TSB were from the USA and that the TSB's are different in canada. There should be a recall on all cars and honda should have this fixed. Is there a place were we can all complain?
ikhan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

shawn
yeah i read the tsb saying its hard to reproduce and thats something they are hard on is u have to reproduce to get it fixed. but i know monday and tuesday its suppose to snow so i might run up there and show them.
shawn_hot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

ROMULUS
Use the link below and the motor is at the top of the list with shipping it is 73 bucks the dealer wanted 97 plus tax but then we all know Dealers are crooks. This is an easy job even if you are not a certified mechanic I did it in an hour and 15 minutes simple and quick. If you are dangerous with a tool in your hand you might want to reconsider be carefull removing the plastics on the windshield cowl.

South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store
SIis4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIis4ME View Post
Use the link below and the motor is at the top of the list with shipping it is 73 bucks the dealer wanted 97 plus tax but then we all know Dealers are crooks. This is an easy job even if you are not a certified mechanic I did it in an hour and 15 minutes simple and quick. If you are dangerous with a tool in your hand you might want to reconsider be carefull removing the plastics on the windshield cowl.

South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store
I'm going to attempt this job this weekend on my girlfriends 07 EX. What do I have to remove to get to the motor? I took a quick look under the hood the other day and didn't see it against the firewall.
LeaDxPainT@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

So how did the attempt go with your girlfriends car? im in the same boat. got quoted $300 to replace at the dealership.
BSonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #26 (permalink)

I found a TSB on this matter.

Another one was issued 6 months later but I could not access it, only this one.

hth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8th Gen Wiper TSB.pdf (297.6 KB, 920 views)
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Chris
The TSB has been updated. All that needs replacing now is the cover plate for the motor, not the entire motor. Just fixed my problem today. Best part is that the cover plate is under $10.
csansom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Hey,

I just started having the same problem. After reading a lot of posts, I decided to change out the motor. AND THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. Dealer quoted me $300 ($120 for part and 2hr labour). I said no thank You.

I picked up a used motor from wreckers ( $40 in Canada ). Took me about 3 hours to do it ( because I was virgin at it )

To change the motor ITS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE S ( at least the first time you do it, 'cause youre learining as you go ) From my own mistakes - if youre doing it - MARK THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF ALL WIPER COMPONENTS VERY CAREFULY. Wiper arms position on window and on connectors, how wiper links are attached onto eachother and position of wiper link on the wiper motor before you move anything. I only did wiper motor position and now the wipers are about 1/4 inch off the edge of the windshield. No big deal, just not the same.

Another thing - if buying used or new for that matter - when you install the motor, make sure you plug it and run it (before connecting it to the wiper links) to make sure it returns to its "home" position - because you never know if it was disconnected at its "home" position (I didnt run it before putting it back together and had to do redo it from scratch)

If you have any questions, let me know, i can walk you through it. After doing it once, i can do it again ( if ever needed) in less than 1/2 hour.
Bambus00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Brian
I am tackling this problem right now and i ran into some problems. The motor and linkage assembly was difficult to get out from under the cowl. I really had to force it out from between the cowl and the motor. I now have the assembly out and will resume work tomorrow. I was unable to pull the linkage from the motor shaft. I might have to get a small gear puller because i don't want to ruin the dust seal or crack the housing.

It appears the diagrams on the TSB are a bit different than what i'm looking at. I'll post pics if anyone is interested. I took alot so i know how everthing should go back together.

If you have anything in addition to what Bambus00 wrote, please tell. I'm working on a 2007 four door SI.

Last edited by 4door157si; 09-28-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: aditional info
4door157si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4door157si View Post
If you have anything in addition to what Bambus00 wrote, please tell. I'm working on a 2007 four door SI.
Here is the info from the manual hth.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Wiper Issue-06-09-civic-4-door-wiper-motor-procedure.jpg  
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #31 (permalink)

Shawn
I had the same problem on my 07 si it with the wipers not stoping . It is the the stop switch in the wiper motor it is cheap to replace if you buy it from autozone.
smokyhondasi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #32 (permalink)

Brian
Thanks, that page from the manual will help.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #33 (permalink)

8thCivicRidesPoles
Quote:
Originally Posted by csansom View Post
The TSB has been updated. All that needs replacing now is the cover plate for the motor, not the entire motor. Just fixed my problem today. Best part is that the cover plate is under $10.
What is it about a faulty *cover plate* that causes these issues?

I mean is there some sort of electrical connection on the cover plate that can go bad? Because, I don't see how a plastic motor cover can cause these issues? (Unless, like I said, there is some sort of electrical component on it that has the tendency to fail)
PainIs4ThaWeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #34 (permalink)

Brian
Yes, the electronic control is in this plastic cover. I just finished my install and everything went well. Like someone already said, if i had to do it again, i could do it in about an hour, but it took me twice that just trying to be careful and take pictures of everything.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

8thCivicRidesPoles
Right on... after looking closer at the pictures of the part, I see what you're mentioning.

Good stuff - $10. Guess no one can really complain about that.
PainIs4ThaWeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainIs4ThaWeak View Post
Right on... after looking closer at the pictures of the part, I see what you're mentioning.

Good stuff - $10. Guess no one can really complain about that.
My feelings exactly, $10 isn't any big deal. However it's the EXACT amount of labor as a full replacement, so you're still in for an hour or more of work. The part # for the case lid for the Civic is P/N 76505-SNA-305. The cover does have circuit tracings and some components in it.
csansom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

my 07 ex sedan just started doing this last week. better not turn off that not turn on lol. there's a lot of good info in this thread. probably won't get to it til next week sometime but i'll be sure to mark everything and take pics.
In_Like_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #38 (permalink)

i'm going to buy this plastic cover. if it doesn't work then i'm only out $11. do they come in pairs or do i need to order 2 individual covers?
In_Like_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #39 (permalink)

I just changed out my wiper motor on my 2007 LX. Same problems as others. wipers ran constantly on intermittent and didn't park correctly. I found that you do not need to disassemble the linkage. The arm thats attached to the motor shaft can be lined up easily using the marks that are cast for that purpose on the motor mount plate. Just make sure you have the arm in the correct position. It will actually be covering the motor shaft and you have to use a 17 mm open end wrench to tighten the nut. If you line it up 180 degees opposite you will have trouble. It helps to mount the whole assembly and lightly bolt it to test the operation. It's alot easier to quickly pull it out and adjust the linkage. (as I did 3 times till I found the marks and figured it out.) Not a bad job if you know all this stuff ahead of time.
ken2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2007 View Post
I just changed out my wiper motor on my 2007 LX. Same problems as others. wipers ran constantly on intermittent and didn't park correctly. I found that you do not need to disassemble the linkage. The arm thats attached to the motor shaft can be lined up easily using the marks that are cast for that purpose on the motor mount plate. Just make sure you have the arm in the correct position. It will actually be covering the motor shaft and you have to use a 17 mm open end wrench to tighten the nut. If you line it up 180 degees opposite you will have trouble. It helps to mount the whole assembly and lightly bolt it to test the operation. It's alot easier to quickly pull it out and adjust the linkage. (as I did 3 times till I found the marks and figured it out.) Not a bad job if you know all this stuff ahead of time.
Any pictures or a DIY?
I M Legend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.