Cel p2a00, p1172 help needed!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
Cel p2a00, p1172 help needed!!!

okay i got two cels last week a P2A00 and a P1172

I did a search and i found these results

TSB Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P1172 or P2A00 Set

problem with Air/Fuel Sensor

The air/fuel sensor is damaged by moisture in the exhaust system during engine warm up.

my engine mods are Vibrant header w/HFC 12inch resonator Vibrant cat back, injen CAI, P2R spacer.(if it matters) i have a JDM valve cover also

after reading up on it it seems like if i replace the sensor(is this the o2 sensor?) it will fix it. Should i take it to honda, or do it my self?

after getting this fixed is it going to happen again? Is this because of my mods or because of a honda defect?

Thanks
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
bumpyyy
Topplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

First, yes, you might need to replace your O2 sensor.
And you might just need to check the connections.

Which is it?

Please include in your modding budget shop manuals for your car.
Follow the diagnostics.
Then decide.

Else, bring it in to Honda.

-mr. bill
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
i reset the battery and it didnt come up for a few days until i hit vtec lol. and i cant clear them with my Scan Gauge i have to reset the battery. I will check the connections hopefully tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
any more insight?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topplayer View Post
okay i got two cels last week a P2A00 and a P1172

I did a search and i found these results

TSB Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P1172 or P2A00 Set

problem with Air/Fuel Sensor

The air/fuel sensor is damaged by moisture in the exhaust system during engine warm up.

my engine mods are Vibrant header w/HFC 12inch resonator Vibrant cat back, injen CAI, P2R spacer.(if it matters) i have a JDM valve cover also

after reading up on it it seems like if i replace the sensor(is this the o2 sensor?) it will fix it. Should i take it to honda, or do it my self?

after getting this fixed is it going to happen again? Is this because of my mods or because of a honda defect?

Thanks
Jon
This is too wierd, we have the same codes. Again my engine mods are Vibrant header w/HFC, Greedy TI-c cat back, injen CAI and P2R spacer. I was told (by my local shop) that I may have to replace the mass air flow sensor. ANy thoughts on replacing the MAF? Costs?
Natetex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
its not a MAF code i thought it was a O2 sensor code. look at the link i posted in the first page. i ordered a angled defoiler hopefully that fixes the problem i will post results when i get everything set up
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Brian
topplayer....let us know if this fixes the problem I too have this code and have the vibrant header installed on my car i hope this isnt a trend beginning....
blipes06si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jonny Blaze
i will. i am still waiting on the part.........
Old 12-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Michael
I just had the same problem. I also have a vibrant RH with HFC. . .
From what I understood it was the first sensor and not the second, so a defouler shouldn't help as those go on the second sensor.
I'm kind of in the same predicament though as to whether I should take it to Honda or not.
MStayt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Brian
i talked to a mechanic...he said the only way to fix the issue is to replace the sensor and clear the code....no defouler will work for this code. also, he did say that replacing it does not stop it from failing again from the same issue(whatever it may be...im thinking design flaw as we are all vibrant header owners but thats just a guess).....i dont mind dealing with the light but i know it has affected my gas milage as the car is now running rich( and the trip meter says so). also it could cause engine damage if left unresolved for an extended period of time. I would take mine to honda but as soon as they see the header everyone knows they are not going to touch anything on the exhaust system
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Michael
I read the TSB at the top and didn't see a list of affected vehicles. Anybody have the list somewhere?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Brian
that tsb might help the people that have a stock exhaust system but when they see an aftermarket exhaust header they are not going to fix any sensor in that system

Last edited by blipes06si; 12-27-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: mess up
Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Eman
i have these codes p1172, p0135, p0141 on my swapped 06 lx k20z3.. with si stock exhaust & cai. i replaced the o2 sensor and nothing happened. i've been dealing with this issue for the pass 5 months. I also upgraded the ground wires and nothing has changed. I read on mitchell and it stated to check the connections, replace o2 sensors & if not to replace ecu.... I have not replaced the ecu yet.... but my mileage is definitely being affected 260.
emancivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Brian
Do u have the most current software?....cause the tsb says to replace the sensor and update the software
Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Eman
not sure i will check tomorrow with one of my buddies that works at honda.... did you fix your problem?
emancivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Brian
im going to the dealership today.....thanks for asking though. i cant wait to here there rediculous explaination of why they won't warranty the repair(they havent said so yet, but im pretty sure they will not fix it for free). im mainly going up there to check to see if my software is current and get a price on the part.......ill keep you posted
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dave
they will not fix it for free you have a header. the header is causing all your problems, it's probably a piss poor design cause if you read the tsb it talks about moisture damaging the afr sensor during warm up. the location of the sensor bung is probably in a place where it is even more prone to moisture build up. so your options are, put your original exhaust manifold back on. plug up the bung on the header, drill out a new hole in a better spot and weld a new bung on, but keep in mind you can't just put it anywhere on there.
DavisLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Michael
So I talked to my dealership earlier today. They said they'd replace the O2 sensor under a "goodwill" warranty. I'm sure they weren't supposed to but it was definitely a nice thing to do.
They weren't so generous at first though. I had talked to them earlier, asking what would happen if it wasn't covered under warranty, and whether they thought it would be covered. I also supplied them with the info of the exact code that was being thrown and the fact that I DID have an aftermarket header and also that I had cleared it before and it came back within a day or 2. They said it would be $82 in diagnostics if it wasn't under warranty, but they weren't sure if it would be covered or not.
They called back 2 hours later, saying that it was a P2A00 code, that they cleared the code and it didn't come back so they saw no problem, and that it wasn't covered under warranty due to an aftermarket header...
20 minutes of arguing later I got the diagnostic fee waived since it was the exact information I had supplied them with in the first place. They told me if the light came back then to call them again and they'd figure something out. 5 miles down the road the light came back on and I dropped it back off the next day.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

it's just a LAF software update, if the check engine light is on, they should replace the sensor as well.........
kentarou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.