8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

How much oil does this thing take?

42K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Edirol 
#1 ·
OK, so I tried saving $20 for an oil change. Big mistake. I pull the drain plug and the filter, drain all the oil. No prob. Put the plug and new filter on. Still no prob. Manual says put 4.6 quarts of 5w 30 oil in. I do. Barely reading on dipstick. Start car, check for leaks, no leaks, everything is tight. I'm doing this at my father in laws shop. He's a mechanic so I ask him what's up. He says put the remainder of the 5th quart in. I do and it still reads way low on the dipstick. So I ask him what now and he says drive it. WTF!!!! Sorry for the rant but this is really pissing me off and I don't want to drive it while low on oil. But I don't want to overfill it either. Has anyone else dealt with this?

It's BS because it cost's $70 at the dealership and $80 at JiffyLube. I spent $50 on oil and filter so I saved $20 and get a huge fckin headache.

This is an '08 Si by the way.

#2 ·
my 08is regularly taking nearly 5 quarts per oil change. it all depends on how long you let it drain for. unless you dipstick is broken just add oil till it is at the right level on the dipstick. if you end up having engine problems the honda dealership would check to see the oil level and if it is between the marks and the right viscosity then its obviously not caused by user error.

#4 ·
I've driven it 2 miles back to my house. I checked it as soon as I parked and it is still at same low level. It's right on the bottom hole in the dipstick which is "safe" but I want it to be more near the top hole, which is safer in my opinion. Guess I'll check it in a little bit after it cools off.

#8 · (Edited)
OK so I just checked it and it's halfway between the 2 holes, so it's good I think. But why can't Honda tell me the correct amount to put in? 4.6 quarts barely registered on the dipstick, 5 quarts barely brought it up to safe. After driving it and letting it cool off it's now in the middle of the safe zone but I would prefer it be at the top hole, even though I feel alot better about where it's at now.

I will NOT change the oil again myself. $20 saved plus a headache and all the dirt and oildry I got on my carpet from the shop floor, I'll take it to the dealer and let them do it. Plus 3000 miles after my last oil change it had burned 3/4 of a quart which the dealer replaced for free. And all the other fluids they check and fill is worth the extra few bucks.

#9 · (Edited)
Then you are doing it wrong...and spending way too much money on supplies.

At most that I spend for a full synthetic oil change is 35$. This is with a K&N filter and Mobil 1 EP.

Keep checking your oil and fill as needed. I find that depending on how through I let the pan drain, will dictate how much oil it will take to fill. More than often it takes more than 5 qts.

the only time I ever get back into my car is when everything is done /cleaned up, and I am resetting the maintence reminder while going on a test drive.

#10 · (Edited)
if you go to dealership you really dont know if they put 5w-30 in there.

happened to me at the dealership. i specifically ask for 5w-30 but they put 5w-20 as the receipt proved it. i went back and had them drain and put the correct oil.

#18 ·
FWIW the last 2 changes I have put in 1 (one) 5-Quart jug and it has been at the top every time. It really depends on if you let it all drain out or not. I've seen my RSX-S (same-ish motor) take anywhere from just under 5 quarts to 5.75 depending on what filter I used and how long I let it drain. Just put in at least 5 quarts, start it up (to get some oil in the filter), let it sit for 20 mins and check it on a level surface.

#19 ·
i put about 5qts in my 07 si with mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic and a honda filter. 5 qts is about more than halfway between the 2 dots. I dont really need to add more until about 2500k miles but that's because i vtec a lot. costco also has pretty good deals sometimes on mobil 1, my dad usually picks me up a case when he sees that it's on sale.

#24 ·
ok i have a question, i have a 2008 honda civic, ive been paying to have the oil change but this time i did it myself, my question is i put 5 quarts in it but when i drained it there was only 4 quarts, could i burn off a quart of oil in 3k miles or was it just under filled the last time i had it changed.

and my dipstick is this plastic bright orange thing and with new oil it seems impossible to tell if its at a good mark.

#27 ·
under-filled and burnt off are both possible. Yes, the dipstick on these cars is hard to read. If you're having trouble reading it, try letting the car cool off and letting all the oil drain down to the oil pan. Maybe check it first thing in the AM. Pull the dipstick, wipe, re-insert (ALL THE WAY, very important) then pull again and read. This should give you an accurate reading.

:thumb:

#31 ·
uh, my local dealership is a RIPOFF!!!!!

I bring my M1 EP and they charge $12 labor and like $7.50 for an OEM honda oil filter then like $1.20 for the crush washer. lol. comes out to like $22 for an oil change when I bring my own oil!!!

I plan on playing their game but in a different way. The dealership near where I work GIVES me crush washers. I know I can order OEM filters online for WAY cheaper than $7.50/filter. So from now on, I'm going to source my own OEM filters and crush washers and oil and I'll give the tech my $12 for labor (of which he probably only gets $7-8).

Then they can KISS MY ASS

#32 ·
i have had the same issue with both cars i have owned. my ex took nearly 5 quarts to fill last time i changed it but the manual says it should take 3.9 quarts. makes me wonder if the dealership puts in the amount of oil listed on the manual or not. if so, i have been running around a quart low on oil for 30 k miles. i got my last oil change for a total of 30 dollars for mobil 1 synthetic oil and mobil 1 ep filter and crush washer at dealer for free. def. beats paying 60 dollars at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.