Brake Noise on Corolla - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brake Noise on Corolla

My 05 Corolla makes this weird noise when braking, almost at a complete stop. It sounds like "eee eee eee eee". High pitched, like a squeaky wheel barrow wheel. It's really low in volume, the radio has to be off, fan on low, windows up to really hear it (no wind noise). It happens all the time, no specific weather. It sounds like it's coming from the right front wheel.

Less than 30k miles. About 50/50 city/highway.

I dont think it needs new brakes already. Anybody know whats up? I'm going to inspect it soon but it's raining now.

It doesnt sound like the "low brake pad" squeak warning which should be alot louder and more constant "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE", than "eee eee eee eee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

warped rotors?

Edit: i have no clue
Ass Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park
What the heck, this is a Civic site. Get out of here with your Corolla.

Just kidding man.

It still could be low pads. If there is a bit of rust on the edge of the rotor, or the rotor isn't perfectly smooth it can cause the wear indicator to only hit in certain spots when it's just starting to get close. I have seen it happen more than once.

Does it have drum brakes in the rear? Rear drum brakes can often make noises like this because of all the moving parts inside which can shift slightly back and forth from a drum that is slightly out of round. Usually they just need cleaned and lubricated on the backing plate. I know you said the sound seems to be coming from the front, but it is just a suggestion (sound can travel in unusual ways sometimes).

It could even simply be rust building up on the very outside edge of the rotors where the pads don't quite hit. I have seen this build up enough to hit the wear indicator and make noise even when the pads were ok.

Could be something as simple as dirty or glazed pads. It is impossible to tell for sure until you take a look. Good luck. Just be sure not to rule out the rear brakes if the fronts look good. I have had to walk, hunched over, beside a car while someone else drove it slowly to tell whether a noise was coming from the front or back.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gary
Maybe it's a cop car Corolla.
boltuprite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

^^^haahah
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My GF has the same car with about the same mileage, and the same problem, so it's not just you.
47midgets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

its the metal pins on the side of the pads, they squeal when the pads wear down to em so you know that you're due for a replacement.
thatsnotstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, it seems like 80% of corolla owners dont believe in preventive maintenance.
Civic guys however seem to maintain their cars like it was a bentley.
pks17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's the brakes. You need new pads. Hurry up before you warp or damage the rotors to avoid having to pay for resurfacing
stealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

You should still have it resurfaced, or at bare minimum take a fine grit sand paper to the rotor to smooth out the surface.

The light squeel you are hearing s the indicator pin being dragged on the rotor surface as a result from the brake pads being low. Do not let the pads run so low that the rivets start showing through. That is a sure way to damage the rotor.
Kidekat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.