FA5 LED Switchback Issues - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Lighting, H.I.D.'s, & Neon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

FA5 LED Switchback Issues

Hey all,

My apologies if this has been answered already but I've searched for hours and haven't been able to find a concrete solution.

I installed LED Switchback signals in my FA5 the other day (1157 bulb type) - they are the Amber/off type which means that the white actually turns off when the signal flashes. I prefer that look over Amber/white/amber.

I'd already wired up load resistors to the signals to prevent hyper flash, etc.
And when I turned on the parking lights after installation, both of the LED's died almost right away, and blew my #15 fuse.

The bulbs are dead and I'll be replacing them today. I changed the fuse and returned everything to normal (stock turn signals) and now everything is fine again.

If anyone has any advice for this issue I would greatly appreciate it - and specifically for the Sedan, as I believe that the signals for the Coupe are a different bulb type.

Thanks in advance,

- Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

John
Did you try them without the resistors before they blew up? I've never had a led burnout on me but I haven't ever used resistors either.

Skavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavenger View Post
Did you try them without the resistors before they blew up? I've never had a led burnout on me but I haven't ever used resistors either.
No I didn't. However, I did test the resistors out to make sure they were wired properly.
The way I did this was disconnect the signal, and then turn on my signal from inside the car.

If the resistor is connected properly, the car won't hyper flash. If it's not, then it will detect that a bulb is out.

Maybe it's worth trying without the resistor wired up....
Although I can't stand hyper flashing lol so in essence this wouldn't really fix the problem unfortunately.
Mourtzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

John
Right, I was just thinking that it could possibly help sort out the issue whether it was the bulbs or the resistor. I guess doing that could cost you another set of bulbs and I know switchbacks aren't the cheapest.
Skavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah that makes total sense.
A plus in this situation is that I purchased these bulbs locally, and I'll be getting them replaced for free under warranty.

So I'm going to drop by the store today, and try again without the resistor right at the store and see what happens.

I appreciate the help. I'll have to keep you posted.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure how many are still curious about this. But it turns out that certain switch-backs weren't working with my car. Both with and without the resistor.

These specific switch-backs were quite high tech and I'm thinking that maybe the logic boards within them were causing some of the problems.

I exchanged them for simple, bight Amber LED signals (same brand) and they work great. No issues whatsoever...

So although I didn't find the issue, I hope that this post will help some people out.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.