8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Another retrofit question

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  pineapple 
#1 ·
okay im just starting to read up on retrofitting. and im very interested in doing it myself now.
so i just need to know what things to get.
-for the tsx projectors, am i able to go to a junkyard and rip it off a tsx?
-and for ballests.. do i need to get the oem ones from the tsx? or can i get any brand.
-bulbs - what kind n size?
-shroud -what kind is good? and fits well..

and what else do i need?

thanks

#2 ·
1) Yes, you can get them from any junkyard as long as you know for sure they'll work. That, or you can check the HIDplanet forums or wait for a good deal from Striker

2) No, you can use any ballasts you want, but I prefer OEM brands

3) Any D2S bulbs. I'd recommend Philips or Osram

4) The most common ones are MDX shrouds and S2000 shrouds

#3 ·
SIchodelic said:
1) Yes, you can get them from any junkyard as long as you know for sure they'll work. That, or you can check the HIDplanet forums or wait for a good deal from Striker

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

#4 ·
SIchodelic said:

ah so whats the difference between d2s bulbs and the others? and what size would i need?

#13 ·
hey guys one thing i didnt had in mind was the wiring harness? i read just recently that if i dont upgrade the harness the hid can over power it and fry it? so do i need to upgrade wiring harness or is this not true?

i know this is projectors and retro but projector+retros+ the ballast = hid set isnt it?

#16 ·
CrackThatTec45 said:
now my question is....if i you buy a Nissan or Denso ballast...how to you make so it turns on with your normal 9006 headlight switch b/c arent u bypassing that connector with a D2S ballast? im totally lost.......:pat:
your headlight switch opens the connection and closes the connection for powering up the headlights...
all you're doing is giving the ballast power the same as if you'd be powering up a 9006 stock halogen bulb...

#17 ·
striker_1818 said:
your headlight switch opens the connection and closes the connection for powering up the headlights...
all you're doing is giving the ballast power the same as if you'd be powering up a 9006 stock halogen bulb...
yeah but with the D2S ballast you no longer have that 9006 connector to plug into the stock plug...thats where im kinda lost on where the power to turn them on & off come from if im unable to plug into the stock plug

#18 ·
If you are not going to buy a harness. You will need MALE 9006 connectors. This will allow you to plug into your stock clip. The place where I got mine from no longer has them. So If you are handy, just break are bulb, cut it apart and solder the wires to the connectors. I have done it a few times

#19 ·
caveman74 said:
If you are not going to buy a harness. You will need MALE 9006 connectors. This will allow you to plug into your stock clip. The place where I got mine from no longer has them. So If you are handy, just break are bulb, cut it apart and solder the wires to the connectors. I have done it a few times
i planned on buying a wire harness from Custom Lightz or design one myself, just im still confused on how they turn on & off without a male 9006 connector using a wire harness, :pat:......im sorry im a electrical retard

#20 ·
CrackThatTec45 said:
i planned on buying a wire harness from Custom Lightz or design one myself, just im still confused on how they turn on & off without a male 9006 connector using a wire harness, :pat:......im sorry im a electrical retard

if you are asking how do you connect them to the FACTORY harness so they will turn on like normal head lights, with out having to build up a harness you can buy these.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006...017QQitemZ270132681263QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

they are just connectors you solder the wires and plug it into your plug on your car and they will power up your ballast and your head lights will work like normal

is that what your asking??

#21 ·
pineapple said:
if you are asking how do you connect them to the FACTORY harness so they will turn on like normal head lights, with out having to build up a harness you can buy these.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006...017QQitemZ270132681263QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

they are just connectors you solder the wires and plug it into your plug on your car and they will power up your ballast and your head lights will work like normal

is that what your asking??
aaaah HAHA yeeeeah thats it! lol Excuse my electricial stupiditiy! :pat:

#22 ·
CrackThatTec45 said:
aaaah HAHA yeeeeah thats it! lol Excuse my electricial stupiditiy! :pat:

it's all good, i figured thats what you where asking.. i seen one for sale on hidplanet.com with the relay in the harness acouple days ago. i tryed to find it but couldnt member where it was.

#23 ·
pineapple said:
it's all good, i figured thats what you where asking.. i seen one for sale on hidplanet.com with the relay in the harness acouple days ago. i tryed to find it but couldnt member where it was.
i just bought a pair of Nissan Matsushita ballast & ignitors and Tim's Phillips D2S bulbs, so i just wanna make sure im going the correct route and have the proper wirring :thumb:.....im thinking of just following Strikers DIY or buy Customlightz one wire harness

#24 ·
i bought my harness from customlightz.. only bad thing is they are 50 bucks.. thats kind of expesnive if you ask me, i just don't have time to put one together and i'm not the best when it comes to wire stuff.. you can find them on hidplanet.com from time to time or put up at want to buy

and when you get projectors.. get s2k i like tsx but the s2k cover more ground. they will be a little harder to find and a little bit more money but they are better from what i have read.. and the color/washer mod is worth every penny

#25 ·
pineapple said:
i bought my harness from customlightz.. only bad thing is they are 50 bucks.. thats kind of expesnive if you ask me, i just don't have time to put one together and i'm not the best when it comes to wire stuff.. you can find them on hidplanet.com from time to time or put up at want to buy

and when you get projectors.. get s2k i like tsx but the s2k cover more ground. they will be a little harder to find and a little bit more money but they are better from what i have read.. and the color/washer mod is worth every penny
at the moment im bidding on a set of 04 TSX projectors :thumb: pretty much if i get projectors once i get everything shipped im good to go. My dads a retired electrician so yeeeeah hes gonna help with the harness lol I work as a mechanic NOT on electrical equipment! :pat: My next thing i gotta decide is if i wanna attempt the retro myself or suck it up & pay the heafty bill of $350 :SHOCKED:

#26 ·
i paid for mine to be done.. i didn't want to chance not having them level, so i said screw it and paid the money to have it done. i picked my projectors up for 190 shipped, color mod and with blubs i got a damn good deal on mine, striker is the man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.